FYI: Its Real Salt Lake

creativelysain

So, the MLS is going to become a 3rd division league with official "Sponsor" clubs feeding young or declining players. Will the limited US soccer public fall for that?

While I don't like Burn, Wiz, or Metrostars as team names, I would prefer that to having "AC Milan USA" or "Bayer Cleveland".

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UPDATE:

I'm hearing that the Kansas City Wizards are considering dropping the Wizards nickname altogether and are also going to discontinue using "Kansas City" as part of the name. Effective in 2005, the team will simply be known as "Jennifer."

I agree.

Except: United signifies that two clubs were amalgamated into one. (I'm pretty sure)

That's usually how it goes in Europe. Though Man United used to be called Newton Heath LYR (Lancashire Yorkshire Railway). I don't know if another club amalgamated, but that's uaually the case. Oh, I don't think Dundee United did either, but I can't be sure.

That's what I heard, as well, but the facts don't seem to bear that out. Consider all the United teams in the English FA:

West Ham United, however, is not an amalgam of two clubs. It was formed in 1898 as Thames Ironworks FC, then disbanded in 1900 and re-formed as West Ham United FC.

Sheffield United was named after the Sheffield United Cricket Club (which was itself formed in 1854, no word on whether that was a combination of two cricket clubs).

Manchester United, as previously noted, was formed in 1878 under the name Newton Heath LYR (Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway). When a new investor poured cash into the struggling club in 1902, he renamed it Manchester United (after first considering and rejecting such alternatives as Manchester Central and Manchester Celtic).

Newcastle United was sort of founded by combining two teams. Newcastle East End and Newcastle West End (more offshoots of cricket clubs) battled for supremacy during the early 1800s. In the early 1890s, West End went out of business, prompting East End to move across town into West End's park, change the shirt from red stripes to black, and proclaim themselves Newcastle United.

Leeds United were formed as Leeds City in 1904. They were expelled from the league in 1918, accused of making illegal payments to their players. One month later, the city formed a new club, Leeds United.

Rotherham United was indeed formed out of the merger of two clubs. The Rotherham club formed in 1870 before becoming Rotherham Town. A club named Thornhill formed in 1877 before becoming Rotherham County in 1905. The two clubs, Town & County, amalgamated in 1925 to form Rotherham United.

Torquay United has an interesting story. It began life as Torquay United in 1899. In 1910 Torquay United amalgamated with a club named Ellacombe and became Torquay Town. In 1921 Torquay Town amalgamated with yet another club, Babbacombe, and revert to the name Torquay United.

Peterborough United Football Club officially came into being in 1934 when a group decided to form a professional club to fill a void left by the collapse of Peterborough and Fletton United some two years earlier. So that one works.

Hartlepool United rose from the popularity of a successful amateur club, West Hartlepool Amateur Football Club. Although they played in West Hartlepool, the new professional team is named Hartlepools United against public opinion as the company believe it should represent the two Hartlepool boroughs (Hartlepool and West Hartlepool). In 1968, the two boroughs merged, and so the club was renamed Hartlepool AFC until the end of the 1974/5 season, after which it was renamed Hartlepool United.

Colchester United was founded in 1937 as a successor to Colchester Town which was founded in 1874 but went bankrupt in 1937.

Boston United also came from bankruptcy. By the start of the First World War there were two clubs in Boston ? Boston Town, and Boston Swifts. After the First World War only one club, called simply Boston FC, emerged. At the end of the 1932-33 season, Boston FC went into liquidation. A group of Boston FC supporters to form a new club, to be called Boston United.

Cambridge United - Although a Club known as Cambridge United were formed in the City in 1909, their playing days were brought to an end by the First World War, and they were not reformed after the 1918 armistice. This 'early' Cambridge United had no connection with the present Club, which was founded in 1912 as Abbey United. The Club turned professional in 1949 and, in 1951, changed its name to Cambridge United.

Oxford United started in 1893 as an amateur club, called Headington United, a village team known locally as "the boys from up the hill" (boy, do the English have the market on "quaint" cornered, or what?). When the club turned professional, it became Oxford United.

Scunthorpe United first took to the field in 1899 after a merger with local side Brumby Hall. A further merger with North Lindsey United in 1910 resulted in the club being known as Scunthorpe & Lindsey United. After 1958, they became known as simply Scunthorpe United.

Southend United was formed in 1906, taking the League place of the then-existing Southend Athletic Club.

So there you have it. I think I've got them all. So what did we learn from this, other than I have waaaaaaaaay too much time on my hands?

Of fifteen League clubs who use the name "United," six do so as the result of a merger between clubs. The others either used it when emerging from financial difficulty, or in homage to an earlier club, or they just flat-out made it up. :D

I'm hearing that the Kansas City Wizards are considering dropping the Wizards nickname altogether and are also going to discontinue using "Kansas City" as part of the name. Effective in 2005, the team will simply be known as "Jennifer."

UPDATE:

As a creative way of communicating the relationship between Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas, the renamed club's primary logo/badge will feature a depiction of conjoined twins playing soccer. As a result, the team will be known as Jennifer United.

that's interesting. thanks.

my indoor soccer team is called Hotspur FC, and we'll be taking on a few players from a disbanded team for this year. I was thinking of changing the name to Hotspur United. what do you think?

Sounds like a good idea. I'd say it depends on how many folks you plan to take from the disbanded side. If you're taking the majority I'd say a change would be cool. If it's just a couple of folks, leave it the way it is.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

UPDATE:

:D

That is awesome!

So we got the name Jennifer United. Trouble is, what are the fans gonna call themesleves? What about terrace chants? No, we've only scratched the surface of this one.

(Go Fightin' Jennies?!)

HibsSignature.gif

Thanks go to Eddie010 for the Signature and Avatar. Nice work, mate!

What's next? Jeff Lurie buying a current MLS team (the San Jose Earthquakes?) or getting a future expansion franchise and renaming them the Philadelphia Arsenal?

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

The Jennifer United supporters' club will be named The Side-by-Sidekicks. Rather than a chant, fans in the terraces will sing Lionel Ritchie's Stuck On You during matches.

You've sold me! Actually just did some work on a logo, but I'm on Hotmail, so I can't link to photobucket. Any other options available for image hosting?

HibsSignature.gif

Thanks go to Eddie010 for the Signature and Avatar. Nice work, mate!

that's interesting. thanks.

my indoor soccer team is called Hotspur FC, and we'll be taking on a few players from a disbanded team for this year. I was thinking of changing the name to Hotspur United. what do you think?

Sounds like a good idea. I'd say it depends on how many folks you plan to take from the disbanded side. If you're taking the majority I'd say a change would be cool. If it's just a couple of folks, leave it the way it is.

it's only three players, but three very good players who should vault us into the upper echelon of the league. but i agree, the name won't change.

Archived