DC Colonials

shiznit1083

Great design.

I also think the lighter blue should be lightened even more to create a greater contrast with the navy. However, I think the baseball should be left in the star to allow for the viewer to make a connection between this design and the sport. Otherwise, a truly great job!

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

Great job, shiz, it's a terrific concept. Terrific artwork, especially with the clothing (hat and coat).

A few minor things...

-the intricacy of the star/ball on the flag does not mesh with the very solid, basic look of the rest of the design.

-sometimes when I look at it, I get this feeling that the flagpole is going through his head, instead of behind it.

-there's just something about the overall shape that bugs me. Maybe it's the way the smoothness of the logo seems to conflict with the notions of strength, grit, and determination. Maybe it has to do a little with the way the coat hooks forward underneath the elbows.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Nice work here. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 pennies. I agree with Der63, Give the flagpole a minor adjustment into a bat. See what you think. Were you going for the look of a colonial guy at bat? If so, maybe turn his head facing forward more. I also agree with SyPhi on the coat swinging forward under the arms. Something odd about that.

Overall, great work!! I dig the concept. Keep 'em coming!

CCSLC Signature.jpg

Great stuff! I love the logo! It would be really cool if you made a set of uniforms to go with it! The only thing I would do, as others have said, is lighten the blue to that classic "red, white, and blue" blue tone. I like how you have detail, but not too much to obscure the design. Nice work! :notworthy:

this is awesome, but syphi makes some good points.

i atend to gree that the star and ball is too detailed and small-scale to warrant that much detail. it doesnt flow with the rest of the shapes and lines. maybe a one color star without a ball, and maybe a bigger star!

please dont lighten the blue. this is unique, and you dont want to look like tons of other baseball teams and use the aforementioned "classic red,white,and blue."

the shape of the bottom half is interesting. i agree with the point about the coat under the elbow. it might look better going just straight down. second, i think the silhouette/shadow of the flag should be separate from the curve of the underside of the body. the curve encompasses the flag and its shadow and seems to lose the effect and symbolism of a flying flag.

also, i think the bat idea might be really good, especially with the omission of the ball on the flag. it would get rid of the unnecessary detail and still proclaim this as a baseball identity.

and hey, if it makes people think patriots, and the team is called the colonials, then you are on the right track, becasue those are essentially synonomous terms in american history. not different enough to warrant complaining for a name change haha.

great job. i strongly urge you to enter the espn uniwatch contest for the new dc baseball team once you create other logos, caps, and uniforms. good luck, looks like you have a contender, and you get bonus points for not calling your team the senators and not having the u.s. capitol appear in your logo. :P

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Very nice work. The only thing I am noticing that others haven't pointed out already is the angle of his head. I don't know if you were going for that "charging into battle" look, but I would raise his chin up a bit so he was looking forward (or ahead) towards where he was walking/running.

While not as dramatic, it reminded me of "End of the Trail":

31044.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

i dont quite see the name issue as a "problem" the way some do. just because it wasnt "DC" then, doesnt mean it wasnt settled, and it doesnt mean there werent other colonials inhabiting the colonies of virginia and maryland, which is, ahem, the geographic location of washington. i mean, i dont remember ever hearing about trojans in southern california. they were in europe. jazz in utah? nope. the name colonials fits well with the history of the country, and the patriotic motif that fans are looking for as the identity of a DC baseball team.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived