Expos name change within 15 days?

CubsFanBudMan

An excerpt from an AP story on Expos president Tony Tavares regarding an Expos name change...or not:

Another development will apparently happen more quickly than expected. It was originally believed that whoever buys the club, currently owned by the other 29 major league teams, would be able to choose the team's name and colors and design the uniforms.

But the sale process is just beginning and will take months to complete. Tavares said the team needs a name now.

"I would hope that the decision will be made in the next 15 days or so," Tavares said. "You need to order business cards, stationary. We've got to start getting some retail out in the marketplace, do an image-build on the team. We can't be the 'Washington No-Names' and really sell that."

Tavares said Selig will have the final say on the name, likely using input from polls, focus groups, local officials and marketing experts. The new owners will have the right to petition to change the name.

Popular local nicknames include the Senators, Nationals, Grays and Monuments. The idea has also been floated to call the team the Washington Expos for a season, and then let the new owners help pick a name.

"That is not an idea that has been warmed to by the populace in D.C.," Tavares said. "Out of all the ideas I've seen polled, they think that's the worst scenario out there. Their answer is 'You used to be the Expos, now you're Washington's team and you should be named something that's appropriate to Washington.'"

If it is going to be done that quickly I would imagine they would have to be called the Senators or Nationals. The faster it must be done, the less likely they would be called the Grays, Monuments, or something else that hasn't already been used by a D.C. baseball team.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

If it is going to be done that quickly I would imagine they would have to be called the Senators or Nationals. The faster it must be done, the less likely they would be called the Grays, Monuments, or something else that hasn't already been used by a D.C. baseball team.

Why would they be the Grays, if Washington D.C. FOUGHT the Grays?

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

I think the plan might have been Senators all along.... the Grays support probably surprised MLB, most notably by the D.C. mayor while wearing a Sens cap and making the announcement.

Those same red Senators caps were being sold immediately (and prominently) as soon as the announcement was made (Sept. 29?) and the new dcbaseball site went up.

I'd prefer an immediate return to Senators over an Expos in-limbo for one year followed by Grays or anything else. Make 'em the Senators and be done with it. That's what they're most prepared to do quickly.

At least some Expos will still be Expos next year:

(From Minor League Baseball website)

Burlington, VT ? The Expos will still be the Expos in 2005 ? but only in Vermont. The New York-Penn League team, a long-time farm team of the Montreal Expos, will still be known as the Expos even though their Major League partner will have a new name when they move to Washington, D.C. But that may change after next season.

?We've gone back and forth about changing our name, but in the end decided that the timing wasn't right,? Vermont general manager C.J. Knudsen said. ?If we change our name, we are going to have that new name for a long time and we want to make sure that we look at all the alternatives.?

Teams have 60 days following the season to let Minor League Baseball know of any changes to names, logos or team colors for the following season.

?With the small window of time available to make changes, we decided to stay status quo for now,? Knudsen said. ?We may do something during the upcoming season to get more input from our fans on what they think our nickname should be.?

CK3ZP8E.jpg

The Vermont Expos should just change their name to the Vermont Champs.

The team's current mascot is "Champ", a reptilian monster from local folklore that is

said to dwell in Lake Champlain (hence, the name). He's a New England version of the Loch Ness Monster, and he appears in the team's primary logo (frankly, his depiction could use a little "tweaking").

Changing the team's name to the Vermont Champs would allow for continued use of the current locally-inspired mascot, pay homage to Lake Champlain, and serve as an abbreviated play on the word "champions" (as in, "a championsip organization" or "they're the New York-Penn League champs").

The Vermont Expos should just change their name to the Vermont Champs.

The team's current mascot is "Champ", a reptilian monster from local folklore that is

said to dwell in Lake Champlain (hence, the name). He's a New England version of the Loch Ness Monster, and he appears in the team's primary logo (frankly, his depiction could use a little "tweaking").

Changing the team's name to the Vermont Champs would allow for continued use of the current locally-inspired mascot, pay homage to Lake Champlain, and serve as an abbreviated play on the word "champions" (as in, "a championsip organization" or "they're the New York-Penn League champs").

wow...the fantasy team I'm applying for on here (CL) will be named the Vermont Champs. Weird that you say that, I had just decided that yesterday.

As Joey Lawerence would say...Woah! :blink:

Maybe I'll send my design to them....

We can't be the 'Washington No-Names' and really sell that.

HEY!!! That one, 'Washington No-Names', HOOKS!!!

Like lots of politicians in DC, they are no-names... who knows them? :lol:

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

I like Nationals or Grays (or is it "Greys"?)...I would have been OK with Senators as well, but I tend to like nicknames that aren't duplicated within the other major sports leagues. For example, Cardinals, Giants, Panthers, Senators, etc.

I think the plan might have been Senators all along.... the Grays support probably surprised MLB, most notably by the D.C. mayor while wearing a Sens cap and making the announcement.

I am not so sure; the Senators logo and likenesses are licensed with the Rangers franchise.

Archived