• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And the official press release from the "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim":

http://anaheim.angels.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/a...r_ana&fext=.jsp

01/03/2005 11:07 AM ET

Angels Baseball announces official name change

tickets for any Major League Baseball game

ANAHEIM -- Angels Baseball Monday announced the team has changed its official name to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. This change is effective January 3, 2005.

The inclusion of Los Angeles reflects the original expansion name awarded by Major League Baseball in December 1960 and again returns the Angels as Major League Baseball's American League representative in the Greater Los Angeles territory that Major League Baseball expects the team to serve.

The Los Angeles region, which is comprised of Orange, Los Angeles, Ventura, San Bernardino, and Riverside Counties, is the second largest media market in the country. This name change will strengthen the Angels' long-term economic health by enhancing the marketability through this metropolitan area and beyond.

Angels Baseball and the "A" brand will continue to be the marketing focus of the organization and Angels Stadium of Anaheim remains the home of the 2004 defending American League Western Division Champions.

The Angels have enjoyed tremendous success in Anaheim, highlighted by a World Championship in 2002. The organization will continue to work closely with the City of Anaheim in promoting the Anaheim community, Angel Stadium of Anaheim, and the Angels' baseball experience.

I think they ought to pick one or the other.

They want to market the team as being from Los Angeles, but they're contractually obligated to use Anaheim in the name. The City of Anaheim paid for a big chunk of the recent renovations to their stadium, in exchange for which the Angels agreed to use Anaheim in their name. I haven't seen the lease provisions, but I think this is the club's way of reaping the marketing benefits of LA while adhering to the letter (if not the spirit) of their obligations under the lease.

Well, I certainly can't wait for the inevitable interleague matchup featuring the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim versus the Montreal Expos of Washington. Or the LAAofA can play the Texas Rangers of Arlington. Maybe the Minnesota Twins of Minneapolis and St. Paul?

This is just fluffing stupid.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

this could easily be one of the stupidest things to ever come

out of professional sports. What is it about socal that creates

such bizarre thoughts in peoples minds? is it the constant exposure

to the sun or the faint echo of "it's a small world" resonating

over the walls of disneyland.

As stated, you could do this for many professional teams, since how

many truly play in the city they're named for. That would be a great

list to compile, who really play where they say they're from?

Well, I certainly can't wait for the inevitable interleague matchup featuring the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim versus the Montreal Expos of Washington. Or the LAAofA can play the Texas Rangers of Arlington. Maybe the Minnesota Twins of Minneapolis and St. Paul?

This is just fluffing stupid.

My head just exploded! :aaaaarrrghhhh:

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

well why should it stop there. If adding a bigger market into your name boosts revenue even though you're not in that city, why not just use the #1 market. The New York Angels of Anaheim, and the New York Pirates of Pittsburgh, and the New York Everyones of whereever they are.

stupid real stupid.

I think they ought to pick one or the other.

They want to market the team as being from Los Angeles, but they're contractually obligated to use Anaheim in the name. The City of Anaheim paid for a big chunk of the recent renovations to their stadium, in exchange for which the Angels agreed to use Anaheim in their name. I haven't seen the lease provisions, but I think this is the club's way of reaping the marketing benefits of LA while adhering to the letter (if not the spirit) of their obligations under the lease.

Yeah, I realize they're using it as a legal loophole and they expect most people to abandon "of Anaheim" when referring to the team, but still...

I wonder how the abbreviations will work in box scores. Will they continue to be ANA to set them apart from the Dodgers? Or will they go by LA? Different news organizations do different things, but it's just another little detail to think about.

I wonder how the abbreviations will work in box scores. Will they continue to be ANA to set them apart from the Dodgers? Or will they go by LA? Different news organizations do different things, but it's just another little detail to think about.

maybe LA/A

Ok, honestly, I have no problem with the Los Angeles Angels. Hell, I live closer to LA anyway, plus I go to school in the LA city limits. I just wish they would pick one! Honestly, LA Angels is actually appropriate, since the LA Rams played there for more than a decade, and besides, everyone thinks Disneyland is in LA anyway. Yes, there's a lease, but you can't blame Moreno for being overambitious, seeing as how Disney agreed to the lease, which makes me shutter to think about what other nonsense is in there. In regards to the lease, with all the money Moreno has, why can't he either purchase the park from Anaheim, or reimburse the city for the construction? Then he wouldn't have to worry about the backlash.

But, don't blame this on SoCal... Moreno's from Tucson, after all.

VmWIn6B.png

Archived