Enough is enough...

Brian in Boston

Jean Carlos Chera - a 9-year-old, 4-foot-6, 77-pound midfielder for the Associacao Desportiva Atletica's youth soccer team in Brazil - has garnered interest from Manchester United, FCPorto and several other professional clubs in Portugal, France and Germany. Reportedly, the interested teams have done everything from request video of the child to inviting his family to visit their various facilities in Europe.

Is it too much to ask to let a child enjoy his childhood?

Jean Carlos Chera - a 9-year-old, 4-foot-6, 77-pound midfielder for the Associacao Desportiva Atletica's youth soccer team in Brazil - has garnered interest from Manchester United, FCPorto and several other professional clubs in Portugal, France and Germany. Reportedly, the interested teams have done everything from request video of the child to inviting his family to visit their various facilities in Europe.

Yeah, this is really going too far. Next thing you know, teams will bid for a unborn baby of an established soccer star. I won't be surprised if that happens. I think a draft of any sort is long overdue.

I saw, I came, I left.

20 years from now....

A young boy still inside his mother's womb is being scouted by Manchester United. Scouts say he has the skills to be the next Freddy Adu.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

This truly is tastless, yet somewhat unsurprising. Football in Europe and South America is big business and all, but I believe actively scouting kids who have yet to finish Grade school is retroactive to the spirit of the game.

HibsSignature.gif

Thanks go to Eddie010 for the Signature and Avatar. Nice work, mate!

20 years from now....

A young boy still inside his mother's womb is being scouted by Manchester United. Scouts say he has the skills to be the next Freddy Adu.

Unfortunately, it is already happening with not only sports, but also music and acting...AKA entertainment. I can accept Kate Husdon, but Nicole ritchie...please.

We really don't need to have this, but if we continue to buy tickets as public, they will contuine to get $$$.

Plus Freddy is older then he or his mother says he is:

http://www.soccertimes.com/mls/2004/sep21....EC-50Y6D3931797

Was seeing Damon Bailey tasteless in that SI issue with the top prospects from grade 6-12 (also Marcus Liberty was the 12th grader)? Thankfully, we found out hat the majority of those kids did get college educations. It as about our insatiable quest for knowledge or consumption of the next comodity, in this case the player; hence we are using the internet for hours a day.

Unfortunately, it is already happening with not only sports, but also music and acting...AKA entertainment. I can accept Kate Husdon, but Nicole ritchie...please.

We really don't need to have this, but if we continue to buy tickets as public, they will contuine to get $$$.

The difference is you can't have 9 year olds compete with 20 year olds....

I saw, I came, I left.

How is this any different than Harvard, Princeton and Yale courting an 11 year old (Doogie) who has the IQ of Einstein and has already scored 1600 on his SAT's? The kid has a gift, let him use it.

allthough the kid is 9 years old, it isnt all that rare anymore. In europe Manchester united allready has 12 year old kids contracted, but only because thats how youth sports work there. Instead of having each small town having a minor team all the pro teams have u-19, u-16 and u-13 teams.

1zqy8ok.gif

exploiting child stars here is big business. if your 12 to 18 your just right for the entertainment industry, if your over 18, your f'd and on the road to being a junkie.

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

It's no different here. All the car maker who compete in NASCAR have young children under contract.

Colleges do the same thing. Chris Leak, the QB from Florida, was offered a full scholarship from Wake Forest before his 8th grade year. They start recruiting just as early for basketball with all the camps. Freddy Adu was only 14 when he SIGNED, no telling how old he was when he started getting scouted.

Personally, I don't think age should be a restriction. How would some designers on here feel if someone told them they were to young to use there talent to compete.

It's bad to restrict smoking from someone life, but it's OK discriminate and limit based on age? Last time I checked soccer was still legal.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

Archived