Tampa bay lightning concept project

Sterling84

Other than the huge logo, those aren't that bad jkr. The simplicity and more traditional right angled trim plays into what we want (less childish, if I'm reading these posts right). I think maybe it uses one too many colours (dk blue, black, white, and gray... I'm more a fan of tricolour schemes), but it is very well done. Find an original font for the numbers that plays into what you want, and you have yourself a contender.
WINnipegSigBanner.gif

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not to rain on the parade here, because I love this idea, and would like to get involved, but I've emailed the Lightning to ask if they accept jersey proposals from the public, and was told that they don't.

But just for the hell of it, here's a concept I came up with a couple of months back, as a fantasy add-on for NHL2003. If any of you visit Thunderpuck/DMD, you may have already seen these.

http://atlas.imagemagician.com/images....19].gif

http://atlas.imagemagician.com/images....19].gif

Here's a concept I came up with real quick, I love the logo's I used(Syphi and Whtchclte) and I think the colors are real nice, not really sure about the actually jersey design, I'm hoping to have time to try some different things, but let me know what you guys think of this...

http://www.angelfire.com/art2/vladdy16/images/lightning1.jpg

slightly different version

http://www.angelfire.com/art2/vladdy16/images/lightning2.jpg

RE:  The Lightning not accepting ideas from the public.

1) We aren't the public.  We are now an organization.  The Chris Creamer's Sports Logos Council on Brand Awareness.  That's right.  TCCSLCBA......don't mess with it NHL.

2) I appreciate the heads up, but we can't do anything about that part right now.  That's putting the cart before the horse.  If after this we arrive at something NHL Ice-worthy...we'll all know.  I don't think that we are that dillusional.  If it's as good as it can be, and they still want to look a gifthorse in the mouth...so be it.

3) Every marketing manager I've ever called...(granted I dont know who you contacted)  has said very similar things to me.  In the case of the Snappers and Bucks...I went over their heads.  Turns out that didn't work either...but I got my meetings.  We can't let every office weasel who thinks it's  "his/her" team stand in the way.

4)  If, big IF...IF we get a concept so solid down that we know it ought to be on the ice...we can take certain steps to put them at ease more.  Super finishing touches...professional style spec sheets in binders... Ummm, I know an embroidery guy..who could stitch a sample crest..so forth.  Then , I know this is silly, but seriously we could mail around an affidavit releasing ownership rights to our work to all the artists who contributed.  Making it, in effect, public domain and dare them to copyright it...even just in case.

5)  We could...ummm.  Make our own??  Again, embroidery guy.

6)  It doesn't really matter in the end.  It's about the process.  Don't get me wrong.  Results are my goal and no is not an answer I am looking to hear...but we'll do our part and let the chips fall where they may.   If they started seeing $$$$ when thinking about a new third jersey if not the whole concept...their minds could change pretty quickly. :) They are probably thinking right now, that "If we listen to these guys/this guy we'll have to listen to everyone."  That's corporate america's rationale.  We just have to show them that "listening to these guys" is in fact, something positive...we are ummm, hello?  your customers.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

RE: The Lightning not accepting ideas from the public.

3) Every marketing manager I've ever called...(granted I dont know who you contacted)

I contacted the team directly through the Front Office section of the site. I think the webmaster ended up with the email, but it was forwarded to someone named Martin Quessenberry, who then responded to me.

I used a similar method when I emailed the Blue Jackets, only in that case, I got a better answer. :D

sorry this took so long, my fathe was on the computer all day in his futile attempt to fax something.  Once I got into cleaning up the jerseys, I wound up not liking the shoulders.  I didn't make the four color versions because I figured you could color it any way you want.  The one at the bottom of the page is my own idea that uses some jagged edges.  I like it, atleast.  The two logos included are a home version and away version of the same logo.  The only difference is the outline stripe.  The logo is an edit of the logo that the team registered but never used.  Copy and Paste.

Be sure to scroll down the page!  enjoy

2 designs

Kudos to everyone who has brought ideas to the table! The design work that individuals have generated thus far is particularly impressive. I've seen phenomenal design contributions to this site before... but this takes the cake!

While we're all brainstorming ways to create a truly dynamic identity/logo for the Tampa Bay Lightning, allow me to put my "two cents" in. What about incorporating a "storm god" figure in the primary logo? Something akin to Thor of Norse myth or Zeus/Jupiter of the Greek/Roman pantheon? It would instantly provide the team with not only a logo concept but a mascot character as well. I've always wondered why more teams that have chosen to go the whole lightning/thunder/storm/bolts/blitz route haven't utilized this concept... or why those who have (the current Trenton Thunder logo springs to mind) haven't done so very effectively.

As a jumping off point, check out...

www.osakidesign.com/Pages/s_graph_logo_berlin.html

It's not particularly dynamic (personally, I'd love to see the "storm god" figure throwing some lightning bolts), but it's a start.

As for a color palate, I'd go with a dark blue, hawaii blue, black, silver and white scheme.

Once again, terrific work gang!

Brian in Boston

Wow, I'm really feelin' jkr's design now.  They'd need just the right numbering/lettering to complete them.  I suspect you'd want to make the letters and numbers white, rather than silver, for visability reasons.  But, otherwise, a great look.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

JKR did a nice concept, but isn't that the kind of look we wanted to get away from? I always thought that the current jerseys didn't display the power and hi-powered look of Lightning. JKR's uses the basic stripes, like the current unis, so I think they lack that "oomph".

On my designs, I wasn't trying to make the striping look like lightning. I was just suggesting the sharp angles and intensity of lightning. I'm not really sure what you mean, Puckcool, when you say the stripe "looks like a blad make a black version.

The Berlin has a logo of Thor(I think) with his arms crossed, holding a giant mallet, like the one in the main logo. He is also wearing a hat with wings, which I don't know is really a Thor thing.

Edit:  woops, that's what Brian in Boston posted in the link.  Sorry!

I think the difference is very subtle between what they have now and jkr's design, but it makes a big difference.  The blue is tweaked, and it's a nice colour.  Silver is added to it, which is a welcome addition.  The logo (which I think I've decided should be rotated so that the point is centered at the bottom) is a nice change.  

It's not always a radical change that turns out to be best.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

What about incorporating a "storm god" figure in the primary logo? Something akin to Thor of Norse myth or Zeus/Jupiter of the Greek/Roman pantheon? It would instantly provide the team with not only a logo concept but a mascot character as well.

Try my latest work possibly for a new high school on the other board on for size. It has a Zeus-type influence, definitely.

Latest concept (for a team called the LSW Titans)

Tell me whatcha think.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived