The Dodgers without names on the jersey...

boardname

One thing I noticed is the placement of the numbers on the back is as low as it was when it was accompanied by a player's surname. Thet should raise them a little higher if they're gong to go nameless.

While I'm on the subject, isn't there a rule in the National League requiring all teams to put the names on the road jerseys? Did the Dodgers get a special waiver, or was the rule repealed?

The theory is that the rule died when the National League and American League offices were eliminated and everything was placed under the direction of the Commissioner's Office.

The Cubs are doing it for the fans by request...and boost program and scorecard sales.

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

My understanding is that the removal of the names is to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the 1955 world championship, thus they got special permission. The names will be back next year.

If that's the case, then they should bring back the "Dodgers" script and eliminate the white outlines and sleeve stripes on the roads (not to mention that ridiculous "LA" on the sleeves of the homes).

The Cubs are just doing it because Hollandsworth and Garciaparra are a bitch to stitch.

If other teams can deal with Van Landingham, Hillenbrand, Spooneybarger and Stechschulte, those two are a piece of cake.

At least they don't have to deal with Fuamatu-Ma'afala or Houshmandzadeh.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

My understanding is that the removal of the names is to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the 1955 world championship, thus they got special permission. The names will be back next year.

If that's the case, then they should bring back the "Dodgers" script and eliminate the white outlines and sleeve stripes on the roads (not to mention that ridiculous "LA" on the sleeves of the homes).

Maybe while they're at it they can return home(Brooklyn) :D

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

The Cubs are doing it for the fans by request...and boost program and scorecard sales.

I didn't request that. In fact, I thought people jsut wanted the red trim gone.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I absolutely hate it when teams drop the names from their jerseys. I believe that every team in the Big 4 and Division 1 NCAA sports should have names on the backs of their jerseys (yes, even the Yankees). This is one of the worst traditions in all of sports. I hate having to guess who players are when I don't get a name to look at.

I think the Dodgers look awful; maybe the home unis would look decent but the roads need the names-all MLB teams do. I don't care if yer the Spankees, you're not so good that I should know who you are when I go to a game. Every team in the majors should be required to have the names on the roads, homes can be optional (but really only Yankees, Bosox, Giants, maybe Cubs should). As for other sports, I can live with Notre Dame and Penn State etc., since they're so rooted in tradition. That's the beauty of college football. Also lemme just add it bugs me when teams where their regular road/home unis in ST games....just kinda ruins the surprise for me or sumthin. They should stick to BP jerseys.

I absolutely hate it when teams drop the names from their jerseys. I believe that every team in the Big 4 and Division 1 NCAA sports should have names on the backs of their jerseys (yes, even the Yankees). This is one of the worst traditions in all of sports. I hate having to guess who players are when I don't get a name to look at.

Seriously? You can't tell who your starting 2B is or tell your point guard apart from your center without names? I don't think it's really that difficult. And how often, especially in baseball, can you even see their names? Most of the time the fielders are facing away from you so you couldnt be able to read them if you wanted to. And if you are sitting out in the field, then the batters name is unreadable.

Nameless Dodger #2 (not Gary Sheffield, but Jose Valentin)

FLSA104030417_800x600.jpg

Definately need to raise up the number or make it bigger.

When the pirates did this a few years back, they tried a bigger / higher number and I thought it was OK.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

When the pirates did this a few years back, they tried a bigger / higher number and I thought it was OK.

The Pirates have traditionally worn a taller number than standard. Whereas most back numbers are 8" high, the Pirates wear 9" numbers. In the 1995 season, they wore 10" numbers on the nameless backs of the home jerseys.

Archived