Monday Night Football to ESPN

Waffles

Well, ABC decided to drop it since the were losing money. I think had ABC wan't to keep the package they would have.

That's what I don't understand - ABC/ESPN are the same company. Instead of you throwing money away out of your right pants pocket, now it's coming out of your left pocket.

And, NBC gets the Sunday Night package.

It's where I sit.

Aw, I kinda wanted to see it last a little bit longer so that it would outlast those bastards on 60 Minutes as the longest-running Network program.

Oh well. And the NFL is coming back to the NBC: SWEET, that means I'll only have to flip one channel after the evening game. :grin:

So, the phrase "NBC Sports" is not a misnomer anymore. (Some would question whether the Olympics and NASCAR are sports.)

I wonder what this means to Michaels and Madden. If I were ESPN, I'd grab those two ASAP for their Monday night games. Mike Patrick, Joe Theismann and Paul Maguire finished dead last in at least one poll I've seen on best NFL announcers, and finished at the top of the worst-announcer poll.

Packers-2.png

Mike Patrick, Joe Theismann and Paul Maguire finished dead last in at least one poll I've seen on best NFL announcers, and finished at the top of the worst-announcer poll.

Oh god, I absolutely HATE those three. They complain about EVERYTHING. I mean really, there could be a false start, they will spend the next 5 plays complaining about the false start like it's the only thing that occurred. <_<

Well, ABC decided to drop it since the were losing money. I think had ABC wan't to keep the package they would have.

That's what I don't understand - ABC/ESPN are the same company. Instead of you throwing money away out of your right pants pocket, now it's coming out of your left pocket.

And, NBC gets the Sunday Night package.

Not exactly. Since ESPN is a cable network they have 2 streams of revenue. 1 from advertisers and another from cable companies who pay to carry the network. ABC being a over the air netwok only get money from advertisers. They don't get money from cable companies. Thus if ESPN takes the games and ABC shows affordable programming disney makes money where if it's the other way Disney loses money because ESPN won't get the advertising money for bowling.

Also, NBC will have the flexable schedule.

Not exactly. ESPN's pocket actually has money in it, while ABC's doesn't to anywhere nearly the same extent.

nav-logo.png

i don't know why there is a need for monday night football. unless your team is playing most people are done with football after sunday and don't watch it. only time i watch it is in passing.

common sense dictates, that if a product is continuously losing money, then you axe it. networks aren't going to please the purists, if it is losing money it gets axed.

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

i don't know why there is a need for monday night football. unless your team is playing most people are done with football after sunday and don't watch it. only time i watch it is in passing.

No one watches, Monday Night football regularly is in the Top 10 rating for programming each year. The reason why it was losing money on ABC is because it's expensive to produce and the rights are expensive. Not because of low ratings.

QUOTE (PackerBadger @ Monday, April 18th, 2005 - 17:30:39)

Mike Patrick, Joe Theismann and Paul Maguire finished dead last in at least one poll I've seen on best NFL announcers, and finished at the top of the worst-announcer poll. 

Oh god, I absolutely HATE those three. They complain about EVERYTHING. I mean really, there could be a false start, they will spend the next 5 plays complaining about the false start like it's the only thing that occurred. 

I agree they can be bad, BUT there is no one on the face of the Earth worse then Cris Collinsworth. He is absolutely horrible. He always buts in to argue with Troy or Joe for no good reason, and then noone responds and it sounds really akward.

Uhhh watching a game with him commentatin is like haveing someone screechign their nails on a chalkboard in your ear during the game.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

MNF was losing a lot of ratings due to the inflexibility of the schedule. The games are set long in advance of the season, and if two of the potential marquee teams are having subpar seasons, it makes for a very boring game. Though I don't see what switching networks will do to change this situation...logistics make it more difficult to prepare stadiums, security and fans to switch a game late in the season to a weeknight, or back to the weekend.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

MNF was losing a lot of ratings due to the inflexibility of the schedule. The games are set long in advance of the season, and if two of the potential marquee teams are having subpar seasons, it makes for a very boring game. Though I don't see what switching networks will do to change this situation...logistics make it more difficult to prepare stadiums, security and fans to switch a game late in the season to a weeknight, or back to the weekend.

I thought they amended that last year, or they were supposed to, like the last 4 weeks of the season could be changed to more interseting matchups.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Crap!

TSN in Canada always showed Sunday Night Football because Canada doesn't get ESPN. Now that ESPN has Monday Night Football and NBC has Sunday Night, we're still stuck with WWE Monday Night RAW on TSN instead.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Esentially Sunday Night Footbal now becomes the big deal game, becuase they have fleixibillty to put the best game at that time, whiel changing a game from Sunday to Monday is hard, and ESPN wont mind having the lesser game any way.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived