NFL Teams VS. CFL Teams

Bleujayone

Can anyone tell me what rules these games went by, whether they went by CFL, NFL, or amalgmation of the two? Also I thought Ottawa and New York played a couple of other games in New York City as well. I'd like some pictures and write ups if they exist.

Aug. 12, 1950 Ottawa New York Giants 20 Ottawa Rough Riders 6

Aug. 11, 1951 Ottawa New York Giants 38 Ottawa Rough Riders 6

Aug. 5, 1959 Toronto Chicago Cardinals 55 Toronto Argonauts 26

Aug. 6, 1960 Toronto Pittsburgh Steelers 43 Toronto Argonauts 16

Aug. 15, 1960 Toronto Chicago Bears 16 New York Giants 7

Aug. 2, 1961 Toronto St. Louis Cardinals 36 Toronto Argonauts 7

Aug. 5, 1961 Montreal Chicago Bears 34 Montreal Allouettes 16

Aug. 8, 1961 Hamilton Hamilton Tiger-Cats 38 Buffalo Bills 21

There have also been some NFL exhibition games in Canada between 2 NFL teams

Aug. 11, 1969 Montreal Pittsburgh Steelers 17 New York Giants 13

Aug. 25, 1969 Montreal Detroit Lions 22 Boston Patriots 9

Aug. 18, 1988 Montreal New York Jets 11 Cleveland Browns 7

Aug. 9, 1990 Montreal Pittsburgh Steelers 30 New England Patriots 14

Aug. 14, 1993 Toronto Cleveland Browns 12 New England Patriots 9

Aug. 12, 1995 Toronto Buffalo Bills 9 Dallas Cowboys 7

Aug. 16, 1997 Toronto Green Bay Packers 35 Buffalo Bills 3

Aug. 15, 1998 Vancouver San Francisco 49ers 24 Seattle Seahawks 21

Also, have there been any CFL games in the USA between two Canadian teams (American Expansion teams do not count)?

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

That's really interesting. I never knew they had CFL/NFL exhibitions.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

i recall reading somewhere that the Giants played Saskatchewan once in NY, wiht the first half under NFL rules and the second half under CFL rules.

I'd be interested to see a CFL-NFL exhibition game though, it'd be fun.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I would imagine that it would be just like interleague play in baseball ? you play by the rules of the home team.

But then again, that's just how I would do it. And I'm a little bit crazy. :D

i recall reading somewhere that the Giants played Saskatchewan once in NY, wiht the first half under NFL rules and the second half under CFL rules.

I'd be interested to see a CFL-NFL exhibition game though, it'd be fun.

Couldn't have totally been under CFL rules...the field would not have been big enough. Maybe they only had the 3 downs and receiver-in-forward-motion rules.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

CFL-NFL exhibition would be unfair, because the NFL just has so much more talent. Even the reserves are better then most CFL teams, because if a player was good enough he would be in the NFL not the CFL look at players like Mike Vanderjagt.

One day I can see the NFL expanding or moving a team to Toronto any way.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I would imagine that it would be just like interleague play in baseball ? you play by the rules of the home team.

But then again, that's just how I would do it. And I'm a little bit crazy. :D

I don't think it's crazy, playing NFL rules in the US, and CFL rules in Canada would make sense.

Like a National League team using a DH, when they play in an American League ballpark.

Also, have there been any CFL games in the USA between two Canadian teams (American Expansion teams do not count)?

I don't know if this meets your criteria, but back in 1992 there was an exhibition game in Portland between the Argos and Stampeders. I have the newspaper clippings around here somewhere...

All I really remember was that there was a big push (more from the CFL than anyone) to get an expansion franchise in Portland, with the desire of Paul Allen's megabucks backing it...

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

PGE Park? I know the Tims play there but it seems like ill-suited for football, NFL or CFL.

Yep, PGE Park -- or Civic Stadium as it was at the time. You reminded me that the bigger CFL field didn't exactly fit, so they had to "trim" the endzones a bit.

Actually, since Civic/PGE went through it's remodel several years ago, it's a lot better for football now. For soccer, it's still kinda wonky, IIRC.

Okay... I'm going to spelunking into my resources and dig up that article and game summary and share it with y'all.

PGE Park? I know the Tims play there but it seems like ill-suited for football, NFL or CFL.

Yep, PGE Park -- or Civic Stadium as it was at the time. You reminded me that the bigger CFL field didn't exactly fit, so they had to "trim" the endzones a bit.

Actually, since Civic/PGE went through it's remodel several years ago, it's a lot better for football now. For soccer, it's still kinda wonky, IIRC.

Okay... I'm going to spelunking into my resources and dig up that article and game summary and share it with y'all.

I was just down there a bit ago and I love the renovations they did. Having MAX go to it certainly helps too.

Okay... I found the newspaper clippings! Thank God I kept all that stuff. Wish I had done with it what I wanted, but alas...

Anyhow, I'm not going to post the entire article. I can scan it and upload it to my site if anyone wants to read the whole thing. What I will do now is post some interesting bits of info.

* The game was played on Thursday, June 25 1992 at Civic Stadium in Portland Oregon.

* The Calgary Stampeders, featuring Doug Flutie, defeated the Toronto Argonauts, featuring Raghib Ismail, 20-1 in front of 15,362 fans.

* Paul Allen was in attendance, as the league was courting him to drop a rumored $3 million towards obtaining an expansion franchise, which would have been the first American CFL franchise.

Okay... I found the newspaper clippings! Thank God I kept all that stuff. Wish I had done with it what I wanted, but alas...

Anyhow, I'm not going to post the entire article. I can scan it and upload it to my site if anyone wants to read the whole thing. What I will do now is post some interesting bits of info.

* The game was played on Thursday, June 25 1992 at Civic Stadium in Portland Oregon.

* The Calgary Stampeders, featuring Doug Flutie, defeated the Toronto Argonauts, featuring Raghib Ismail, 20-1 in front of 15,362 fans.

* Paul Allen was in attendance, as the league was courting him to drop a rumored $3 million towards obtaining an expansion franchise, which would have been the first American CFL franchise.

I watched that game--a rare TV broadcast of a CFL exhibition game--and the Stamps could have kicked the Argos butts even more-

1992 was a sweet year for Stamps fans-

After losing the 1991 Grey Cup game (their first appearance in 20 years) they won in 1992-their first win in 21 years (their previous appearance and win 1971's infamous win vs TO on a soogy field in Vancouver.)

and the Argos went from first (Grey Cup champs) to worst...

The Stamps went on to win 3 Grey Cups in 10 years (1992, 1998, 2001) with losses in 91, 95 & 99& in that period were always contenders during the 90's.

The Argos won 3 in that time as well, but also occupied the bottom rung more than once.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I still think having a game between the worst NFL team and the Grey Cup Winner would be really fun to have. Espeicalliy during SB week, or instead of the snoozefest that is the ProBowl

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

I still think having a game between the worst NFL team and the Grey Cup Winner would be really fun to have. Espeicalliy during SB week, or instead of the snoozefest that is the ProBowl

Well, the worst teams in the NFL can still hang with some of the better teams on any given Sunday, and occassionally beat them -- so I'm sure the worst in the NFL against the Grey Cup winner would still be something of a snoozefest. Though, the 2nd string of the worst team in the NFL versus the Grey Cup winner could be interesting. ^_^

IUe6Hvh.png

yah back then the CFl and NFL were still competeing for players.

I don't think the NFL has had to ever "compete" with the CFL for talent. That's like saying the NFL competes with the ECHL, or MLB competes with the Independent League, or the NBA competes with CBA.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

Well, the worst teams in the NFL can still hang with some of the better teams on any given Sunday, and occassionally beat them -- so I'm sure the worst in the NFL against the Grey Cup winner would still be something of a snoozefest. Though, the 2nd string of the worst team in the NFL versus the Grey Cup winner could be interesting. ^_^

I don't think it would ever happen, as it would be somewhat humiliating for the NFL team. They have nothing to gain, and everything to lose. No point.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

yah back then the CFl and NFL were still competeing for players.

I don't think the NFL has had to ever "compete" with the CFL for talent. That's like saying the NFL competes with the ECHL, or MLB competes with the Independent League, or the NBA competes with CBA.

Actually it did happen--before the 70's recession and the WFL the Candaian & US dollars were much closer in value--and the Canadian dollar was often worth more.

While there was merchandizing and TV revenue it was nowhere near what it was today, and so there actually were times players went to the CFL because they offered more money! Yes it seems odd today--but trust me it is true.

Joe Kapp and Jack Kemp are 2 that quickly come to mind that played in both leagues and not becasue nobody in the NFL wanted them.

Many players that played in the CFL back then never jumped to the NFL because they were happy in Canada and making similar or better money. Some liked the country better, the rules better, etc.

Some married Canadian women and stayed for that reason.

The world was quite different in many respects in the 50's & 60's and even early 70's--especially the sports world.

One of the biggest factors in rising salaries in pro sports is the arrival of the WFL, so was the WHA. When the WFL started out they were raiding CFL and NFL rosters offering huge for that time salaries-and salaries in both leagues rose.

Then there was a recession, bigger TV & merchandizing revenue, etc, etc--and the NFL pulled ahead to stay ever since.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived