Baltimore Orioles concept

dgnmrwrw

So after watching my White Sox play the Orioles the past few days, I've had a few gripes with the O's jerseys. I think they put too much emphasis on the orange (dominant in the lettering and numbers), I think they need more interesting piping (instead of just on the sleeves), and I think they should go back to the grinning Oriole logo (instead of the ornithologically correct bird).

So here's my concept. It's really not much of a change, but I used more black on the lettering, changed the piping, switched ORIOLES to BALTIMORE on the roads, and switched the bird.

Baltimore.gif

I also added a secondary logo on the sleeves: the swinging Oriole.

I know the orange BP jersey may be a bit much, but I wanted to see how it worked and what sort of response it got.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Stellar work. I especially like the secondary logo. I think it would actually make a much better primary logo that the Oriole head. The road and alternate jerseys are also upgrades. I give it em a B+. :)

6uXNWAo.png

..real nice and clean....do they have #'s on the front now?..i like the way they look

Yeah, right now they have numbers on the front. And the team name, front and back numbers, and names are all orange outlined in black.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I'm a fan of new things, including bringing back retro. But the grinning bird? That reminds me way too much of the Long Island Ducks. Very minor league in my opinion. I like the swinging Oriole, but not the head. But I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too... even though you should.

Yea, the realistic Oriole now is boring, I'll admit it. But maybe just a variation of it which is slightly less realistic with more general lines and less detail. Maybe with the bird in a flying position, tilted 45 degrees to one side, and looking up at it so that you can see the orange chest. Hopefully you can envision that and agree with me. The rest is great but just too minor league/cartoon for me. Good job overall.

What's Good: you added Baltimore to the road uniforms and piping to the jersey fronts

What's Not So Good: you brought back the cartoon birds, you made the base color for the wordmarks black, and you took the piping off the sleeve ends

QPR%20Sig.png

Actually, I like the fact that the Orioles are now emphasizing orange over black whilst the Giants are black over orange. I'm not sold on the piping, while it's not bad per se, it doesn't really NEED to be there. I'm not sure the road cap needs a black bill, the orange looks that much better. Of course, I do like the Baltimore script on grey, that always looks great. I'm torn between Real Bird and Cartoon Bird, the Real Bird looks cool, but Cartoon Bird conjures up the glory days of the team, so it's a tough call. If you go with Cartoon Bird, maybe it'd be better to use the head of the existing cartoon oriole, which makes a better primary than the diamond they use now. (Too 90s.) So yeah you have some good things going, but there are a few changes you made which didn't have to be made.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I love the orange BP jersey!

The current oriole they have now is beautiful, really, so I would consider using the cartoon oriole (which I still like) as an alt or something. Looks great, though...

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

Actually, I like the fact that the Orioles are now emphasizing orange over black whilst the Giants are black over orange.

I agree, there was a time in the 90s when you could barely tell the difference between the two if you weren't looking closely. But anyways, I love these concepts, the only thing I don't like is the demphasizing of orange. I love the fact that you brought the cartoon bird back, that's always been one of my favorite logos.

I like the concepts. Especially putting Baltimore on the road jerseys. You'd be surprised how many O's fans around here want that to happen. I also like the cartoon bird. The only thing I'd like to see is the alt. be orange. Last season we had some orange throwbacks that I thought looked really nice.

I like the emphasis on orange, because too many teams overrepresent black. In the case of the O's, I like black, because those are the colors of the bird that the team is named for.

I love returning to the cartoon bird. It fits nicely with your overall look.

Don't expect to see them put "BALTIMORE" on the roadies any time soon. Peter Angelos refused to do that years ago when they were the only team in the Baltimore/Washington area. He always saw the entire area for both cities as the Orioles' eminent domain. Now that the Nationals exist, putting the city's name - though correct, and nicely done BTW - would be Angelos conceding that his team is not, in fact, the Baltimore/Washington Orioles. And he'd be conceding a city he's fighting like hell to hold onto... even as they now have a team of their own. Even if the fans like it, and it look great, Angelos is hellbent to try and keep a small hold on D.C.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

The thing I really love is the road unis. This is the best I've seen yet. My only gripe is the "Miami Dolphins" thing you have going with the bird. He's wearing a cap with a B on it but the real cap doesn't have a B on it. Considering the gripe is so anal I'll give it an A.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Archived