ESPN won't show hockey

pcgd

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Way to go Gary Bettman the NHL is now gonan fall to the level of the MISL.

The NHL is done. How is the league going to generate any substantial revenue that will make both the owners and the players happy?? No one will pay more than what ESPN did.

What a tragedy.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

That salary cap just got a little bit smaller.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

Both the league and the union knew ESPN had said its decision whether to pick up the option for 05-06 was due early in June, but they let it slide by, debating the "team-by-team financial practices," whatever that means.

These guys have messed around for so long (much longer than the last 8 months....like the last 3 or 4 years, they've known this was gonna happen but didn't do a thing about it), it's only fitting that they take this blow. They're gonna have to hope ESPN comes back (with a significantly lower dollar figure), because there isn't another network in the US that'll be willing to spend even half of what they were for the rights to the coolest game on earth.

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

The NHL has officially reached cult sport status. Examples of other cult sports leagues: MISL, XFL, RHI, etc. There's absolutely no way the NHL can recover from this. Way to :censored: up NHL and NHLPA.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

ESPN will get the NHL back when they have players doing drugs and committing crimes.

(Mod edit: Original comment might have insulted some members.)

.... I guess that's why ESPN has the NBA, MLB and the NFL .... <_< I'm not sure about those poker guys or PBA bowlers ..... :D

I saw, I came, I left.

I think with ESPN droping the NHL, they should go to the next best thing: the AHL. I think in the past they used to broadcast the AHL All Star Classic. Seeing regular season games would be good too.

Signature intentionally left blank

The NHL has officially reached cult sport status. Examples of other cult sports leagues: MISL, XFL, RHI, etc. There's absolutely no way the NHL can recover from this. Way to :censored: up NHL and NHLPA.

The NHL survived before there was ESPN, and the NHL will recover.

Hockey as a sport is great. Many people like hockey. As long as the NHL is the highest level of hockey, they will survive. They may suffer a huge setback, and may be forced to undertake a massive reorganization, but the league in one form or another will survive.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

The NHL has officially reached cult sport status.  Examples of other cult sports leagues: MISL, XFL, RHI, etc.  There's absolutely no way the NHL can recover from this.  Way to :censored: up NHL and NHLPA.

The NHL survived before there was ESPN, and the NHL will recover.

Hockey as a sport is great. Many people like hockey. As long as the NHL is the highest level of hockey, they will survive. They may suffer a huge setback, and may be forced to undertake a massive reorganization, but the league in one form or another will survive.

I dont think the nhl can recover after canceling an entire season.

Signature intentionally left blank

If the NHL survives, it will recover. It is just a question of how long it will take.

It'll be a generation before it even comes close to what it was.

Our grandchildren might be able to enjoy the NHL as we did in the 80's and 90's.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Frankly, I've never cared for national broadcasts anyways.

While I like the local stations for Avs games, I have to admit that Gary Thorne made national broadcasts about 1,000,000 times better.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Gary Thorne Sucks. Just had to get that out of the way.

Espn might pick it up again for less money. Or another Cable network will pick it up. ESPN already has a network deal with NBC so I wouldn't be surprised if USA picked up the national cable. There is so many cable channels I'm sure some one will pick it up.

I like Gary Thorne. He's for the most part, the voice of hockey in the States and a pretty good announcer compared to some of the national announcers out there *coughjoebuckandjimnantzcough*. As for his partner Bill Clement, now that guy I cannot stand!

6uXNWAo.png

I like Gary Thorne. He's for the most part, the voice of hockey in the States and a pretty good announcer compared to some of the national announcers out there *coughjoebuckandjimnantzcough*. As for his partner Bill Clement, now that guy I cannot stand!

Yeah, when I think of Gary Thorne I think of hockey. Now, hearing him do baseball and college football weirds me out sometimes because I'm so used to hearing him during the Stanley Cup Finals. I miss hockey :cry:

Archived