Devils mad over proposal to change name

edmfan16

Creamer showing his "evil side" :lol: wants to get rid of Angels and Saints.  Are Toronto teachers gonna file a law suit because Leafs isn't spelled correct and demand them to make it Maple Leaves?

What evil side, he's agnostic :D

As for the Leafs, do you realise that the majority shareholder in MLSE is ..... the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan? If you can find a way on how can they file a lawsuit against themselves, I would like to hear about it :D

Oh wow. I could go off on that, but I won't I will say this. After Domi's hit on Neidermeyer in the playoffs a couple of years ago, did he have to wear a dunce cap and sit in the corner to be punished? *rim shot*

Now what about those Ontario teachers in Ottawa, who are Sens fans? Oh my they have mixed emotions there.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh wow. I could go off on that, but I won't I will say this. After Domi's hit on Neidermeyer in the playoffs a couple of years ago, did he have to wear a dunce cap and sit in the corner to be punished? *rim shot*

Now what about those Ontario teachers in Ottawa, who are Sens fans? Oh my they have mixed emotions there.

Not really, all the retired teachers really care about is to make money. So for those Sens fans, as long as they get money from the Leafs, they can use it to buy Sens tickets ;)

I saw, I came, I left.

Who needs nicknames anyway, they should just call the team "HC New Jersey" and put the Verizon corporate logo across the front of the sweaters. 

*Takes mydogisgomez outside and beats the crap out of him saying "never disrepect the footy!"* :P

Seriously though, as a Christian as well as a level-headed thinker I know I'm not offended by the thought of a sports team called the Devils. Calling them the Unholy Incarnations of Supreme Evil or the Princes of Enternal Damnation would be stretching it, however.

HibsSignature.gif

Thanks go to Eddie010 for the Signature and Avatar. Nice work, mate!

New Jersey Politics... "We gotta look like we're doing something..."

This is nothing, this is just some corrupt jersey politician (which is ALL New Jersey politicians) who got bored and is trying to ruin something because he's a boring, souless :censored:....

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Also, to whoever said the Devils have a generic red and black look.. it might be true now, but not when they did it. When they changed (92 or so, I think) only the Blackhawks had the red and black going. Other teams have copied them since.

366678430_f28e9d99de_o.jpg

Also, to whoever said the Devils have a generic red and black look.. it might be true now, but not when they did it. When they changed (92 or so, I think) only the Blackhawks had the red and black going. Other teams have copied them since.

Some people on this board give no respect to the Devils organization because:

1. There in New Jersey

2. The Trap

The Devils have done alot for the sport of hockey, and have brought many innovations to the ice and beyond. I know i'll get rip for this post and that cool, because it sounds like i am a fanboy, and i am. I'm just tired of all the little remarks made about the Devils whenever they are mentioned on this board. It just grated on my last nerve.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

1. There in New Jersey

2. The Trap

The Devils have done alot for the sport of hockey, and have brought many innovations to the ice and beyond.

AND BEYOND~! Like what? Seriously.

The Devils organization gets no respect because it deserves no respect. The only thing they've done for the sport of hockey is bore the fanbase to death and drive them away. If run-and-gun hockey was winning Stanley Cups, maybe somebody would be winning it in a few weeks. Think about it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1. There in New Jersey

2. The Trap

The Devils have done alot for the sport of hockey, and have brought many innovations to the ice and beyond.

AND BEYOND~! Like what? Seriously.

The Devils organization gets no respect because it deserves no respect. The only thing they've done for the sport of hockey is bore the fanbase to death and drive them away. If run-and-gun hockey was winning Stanley Cups, maybe somebody would be winning it in a few weeks. Think about it.

You know all the Montreal Canadien teams that won all of those cups you know what they played? The Trap. Who do you think they got it from, it's no coincidence that the coaches that brought it to New Jersey played for Montreal during those years. I don't hear anyone say that the Candiens killed hockey. The problem is these teams that don't have the talent that don't know how to play it. It's all about positioning not clutching and grabbing. The Devils when there is hockey always rank amongst the least penalized teams. The problem is over expansion not the Devils. Yes, the Devils have a great defense and guess what Defense wins championships in every sport always has and always will. That's why the Phoenix Suns are in the process of being swept.

And for the offense argument I like how people forget how in 1999-00 when they won the Stanley Cup the Devils finished 2nd in Goals scored. The next year when they went to game 7 of the cup finals they led the league in goals. The nearest team to them had 21 less goals then them that year.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the NJ Devils named after a local urban legend about a cursed monster that lives in the Pine Barrens?

Also, I'm pretty sure the the Duke Blue Devils were named after a fighting regiment (but not sure what war, possibly revolutionary).

That's what I always heard--and they couldn't keep the team name hen they moved to Jersey--well they could have--but New Jersey Rockies makes less sense than others--

That mascot is super goofy though--not in a good mascot goofy way--but in a lame way.

Now I'm waiting for PETA or some other group to protest against the Sharks, Panthers, Thrashers, Penguins, Ducks, Bruins, Wild, Predators, Coyotes, and even the Canucks & Capitals for abusing or taking advantage of or promoting misuse of animals!

Change them all!!! :D

Dont forget the elephant balancing on the baseball in the A's alt logo :P

Well I was sticking to the NHL--but yeah it could spread--especially that poor elephant! :D

Hey if Puckguy says it too, then I'm sticking to my story-- :D

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I am glad the high school that I teach/coach at is not the only one that religious groups are going after to change the team nickname. We are the Red Devils and there is a push to make us change. So to make sure this change doesn't happen we are getting Red Devils inlayed in many spots on our new floor. This way it will cost the district big bucks to change the name.

1. There in New Jersey

2. The Trap

The Devils have done alot for the sport of hockey, and have brought many innovations to the ice and beyond. I know i'll get rip for this post and that cool, because it sounds like i am a fanboy, and i am. I'm just tired of all the little remarks made about the Devils whenever they are mentioned on this board. It just grated on my last nerve.

i wouldnt go as far as saying the devils have innovated alot of things (as mentioned above, the habs innovated the trap). however the devils are one of only two or three expansion teams from the late 80's/90's that have established a tradition of excellence, and i appluade them for that (this is comming from someone who saw his beloved leafs loose to them two years in a row).

After Domi's hit on Neidermeyer in the playoffs a couple of years ago, did he have to wear a dunce cap and sit in the corner to be punished? *rim shot*

not before he had to spend an afternoon in detention at the chalk board writting "i will not take cheep shots" over and over again :D

not before he had to spend an afternoon in detention at the chalk board writting "i will not take cheep shots" over and over again :D

Is a "cheep" shot something a bird would do?

domi_blackboard.png

I saw, I came, I left.

You know all the Montreal Canadien teams that won all of those cups you know what they played? The Trap. Who do you think they got it from, it's no coincidence that the coaches that brought it to New Jersey played for Montreal during those years. I don't hear anyone say that the Candiens killed hockey.

The Montreal Canadiens cannot kill hockey, they're too significant. You've gotta love or hate the Habs, I think. Also in the 70s, hockey was the #3 sport behind baseball and football. In a lot of arenas that hosted NHL and NBA, the NHL outdrew the NBA by wide margins...hockey wasn't struggling to maintain its American fanbase, because it had its strong devoted following in the Northeast and the Midwest, where it was probably never meant to stray from.

Now you've got hockey barely trying to stay on TV, and you've got 25 nobodies whose home is basically a giant parking lot in suburban New York, who do nothing but stall for 55 of 60 minutes. What do you do? You can't like them, because if you enjoy watching hockey, they bore the crap out of you. You can't really hate them either, because your team probably doesn't have any longstanding rivalry, as they have no history as an organization.

People love or hate the Avs, the Leafs, the Wings, the Habs. I've never in my life been face to face with a hockey fan who has expressed a New Jersey Devils-related sentiment other than "Who cares?"

Also, "shut up guyz, defense wins championships" is code for "yeah I know my team's games even bore me to death but they play near my house, so there."

Also in the 70s, hockey was the #3 sport behind baseball and football. In a lot of arenas that hosted NHL and NBA, the NHL outdrew the NBA by wide margins...hockey wasn't struggling to maintain its American fanbase, because it had its strong devoted following in the Northeast and the Midwest, where it was probably never meant to stray from.

Thank you for making my point on expansion and marketing. The NHL played the same style and it outdrew the NBA. What has changed? Marketing. If they NHL could sell that style then why can;t they now. You don't need rule changes (they don't draw new fans as new fans don't know what they do), the NHL needs better promotion. That falls on the commissioner Gary Bettman.

I don't think it was the same style, exactly. The 70s were more physical, in terms of fighting and harder hits, not just defense and stalling. Do the Broad Street BUllies and Big Bad Bruins ring a bell? And I recall those 1980s with the Islanders and Oilers burning out the lamps because pretty good years for the NHL too.

But it does come back to Bettman screwing up. There shouldn't be major league hockey in a lot of the cities it's in right now. Sorry.

how about if people who are offended just dont be devils fans?

A few years ago I was talking with some staff members of the WPHL Waco Wizards, and I asked how their name was received/interpreted by the locals given that THE Baptist university (Baylor) was in the same town... their attitude was "people that are going to be offended by the name aren't likely to be (or become) hockey fans anyway..."

They had a point, but the team still folded about a year later (mostly due to extreme manifestations of owner incompetance).

Marc

Archived