Boomer makes a change

officeglenn

I'm watching the Yankees-Red Sox game on Sunday Night Baseball, and I just noticed that David Wells has changed his number from 3 to 16. I know wearing 3 was a big deal to him because Babe Ruth wore it as well; perhaps he changed to try and change his luck (2-4, 6.81 ERA so far this season)?

Either way, it's not working; Derek Jeter just tagged him for a solo shot.

the way the ball is flying in the bronx right now, I could step up and take one of em deep.

NEW YORK -- While the big trades will be saved for general manager Theo Epstein, a couple of Red Sox players did some dealing of their own following Saturday's game against the Yankees.

The result had Edgar Renteria wearing No. 3 for Sunday night's game at Yankee Stadium while starting pitcher David Wells donned No. 16.

Renteria wore 16 during his rookie year with the Marlins, but had worn 3 the last eight seasons. But it was unavailable to him upon joining the Sox because Wells, who signed three days earlier, had already claimed it in honor of his idol Babe Ruth.

Of course, Wells has worn 33 for most of his career, but that number belongs to Sox captain Jason Varitek.

Because Wells was pitching Sunday night, he was unavailable for comment regarding the exchange. But the fact he has struggled in his first few weeks with the Sox could be a reason he opted to part with No. 3.

Though Renteria's wallet was a little lighter after the exchange with Wells, he was happy to reclaim his old number.

"We were thinking about doing it three or four days ago," said Renteria. "He told me, 'Let's change the numbers.' I said, 'All right.' That's my favorite number, No. 3. That's my lucky number."

It was, after all, the number Renteria was wearing when he struck the World Series-winning hit for the Marlins in Game 7 against Cleveland in 1997. And the number he wore for all four of his All-Star seasons, not to mention his two Gold Gloves.

How much did Renteria pay Wells for No. 3?

"A lot," said a smiling Renteria.

Red Sox equipment manager Joe Cochran made sure the trade took place in a timely manner.

"We sent them out last night," said Cochran. "There's a seamstress in every city."

Wells:

Don't mind about back numbers... mind about start to win more games for the current World Champions.

When you'll accomplish it, we'll start to love you.

Sincerely,

Da Swiss! :D

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Pitchers look ridiculous in single digits.

It should not matter, but for some reason, I agree.

Someone on Cleveland wore #7 (Wright, maybe) and it bothered me.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

Β 

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Its a good switch, both guys had tremdous game and thats what i care about. Manny and Ortiz switched their numbered arm bands for the game too so they had one number on their back and different numbers on their arms.

One has to wonder what Red Sox players will switch next :blink:

I saw, I came, I left.

Its a good switch, both guys had tremdous game and thats what i care about. Manny and Ortiz switched their numbered arm bands for the game too so they had one number on their back and different numbers on their arms.

Both guys had tremendous game? Renteria hit a slam in his last game in 16. Who knew he'd be so quick to be rid of it.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019Β 

facebook

Archived