What WAS the XFL?

brennus

I think you are right though.  Everything in the NFL should be uniform right down to the personalities.  We shouldn't encourage kids to idolize the good things some players do (they aren't all TO's).  Instead 22 mindless drones on the field would be much more entertaining and marketable than being able to see a players face or watch the joy they have playing a game.

Perhaps that's a bit too extreme of a view, but one thing is for certain - under no circumstances whatsoever should coaches be allowed to wear suits on the sidelines. A line must be drawn somewhere.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the kind words YH. Yes I was an assistant equipment manager for the San Francisco Demons. Great experience I will remember forever. They trained at Diablo Valley College in my hometown of Pleasant Hill. I was at the school that time when they had their first practice. My friend (the one who works for AC Milan now) knew backup QB Pat Barnes, so we chatted for awhile. The next day I asked the head equipment manager if he had any positions open that I can help with. It was then I was an assistant equipment manager and set up the practice facility with drills. After that one day, the Demons went on a 2-week road trip (they played Orlando, and flew to Memphis and practiced there all week.) I returned and got everything planned for the entire week, and they were so appreciative, they let me go on the field for the entire game. Since they won that game, I stayed on the field the rest of the home season, including a monsoon against Birmingham, where I stayed out there to prevent idiots from grabbing the cheerleaders or the famed XFL ball.

The last game of the regular season, the players were so appreciative that not only did I get Gatorade bath (only water though) but surprised me by chipping in money so I can go on the road trip to Los Angeles. Great weekend, Demons lost, I got to trash talk to an Xtreme player since he was complaining about the windy kicks Demons kicker Mike Panasuk was having that almost hit him. So he tried to take it out on me, nice try but when the lineman also try to stand up for me as well, I knew I was a part of the family. I also was caught on TV handing his cap to QB Mike Pawlawski (the guy throws hard!) I was trying to warm him up by making catches, and the ones I caught hurt my hand and were red the entire weekend! Naturally WR James Hundon (now a receiver for the AFL's SaberCats) gently bumped me in the way so "Paws" can warm up. That night, I was calling mom to say hi and Pat Barnes came by and I asked him to just say hi (thinking he'd yell just hi) but the guy came into my room, and chatted with my mom for over 30 minutes. Sweet stuff while I chatted with his hot girlfriend. B) (For the record, she said no. :P )

I was working at Blockbuster at the time, so the guys would all come and say hi as they lived accross the street from the store.

Overall great memories, sad it ended the way it did. But the truth was that Vince McMahon, (by the way, a nice, kind, and somewhat quiet off camera when I met him) had the WCW and ECW buyout papers back during the XFL playoffs. He knew he could take out his competitors or try to have the league stay on for one more year. Sadly, he made the right decision, pulling his money out to make a stonger WWE.

The XFL has had its effect on the NFL. Like someone said already the Cable Cam was McMahon's idea, and that's seen on all the national telecasts. Unfortunately, a handful of players made it to the NFL afterwards, but that's what they used the XFL for, sorta of a showcase to get them seen, and not travel to Europe. Also, the personal intros on TV live on the field. They were toned down to video intros on Monday Night Football.

The unique rules were excellent. No PAT kicks after TDs. The conversion after touchdowns in playoff games. (1 pt. conversion from the 2 yard line, 2 pts. from the 5, and 3 pts. from the 10. kept the playoff games exciting.) Live punts after it went 25 yards. However I didn't like the halo given or the excessive unsportsmanlike conduct penalties... this was SUPPOSED to be smashmouth, unfortunately the college refs forgot that. And Arena/CFL like motion on the receivers made it a more exciting offense.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I knew I was a part of the family. ...

That night, I was calling mom to say hi and Pat Barnes came by and I asked him to just say hi (thinking he'd yell just hi) but the guy came into my room, and chatted with my mom for over 30 minutes. Sweet stuff while I chatted with his hot girlfriend. B)(For the record, she said no. :P )

So, you feel part of the family, you get Pat Barnes to talk to your mum, and while he is doing so, you're hitting on his girlfriend?

What sort of 'family' is this? Manson Family?

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Football + Sports Entertainment = XFL

Yeah, it was a bad idea, but I'm kinda glad it happened. It gave us, of course, He Hate Me and the "coin toss", which we've mentioned already. The XFL also paid teams so much for winning. The team would divide the money up between players evenly, except for the kickers who got less than the rest of the team did. And it was capped off by the Million Dollar Game.

You gotta love that trophy.

maddox_trophy.jpg

6uXNWAo.png

I was only 8 when the XFL was around and I remember it

Dude how old are you? Like 12?

yeah, turnin 13 on the 27th of june

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Yeah, it was a bad idea, but I'm kinda glad it happened. It gave us, of course, He Hate Me and the "coin toss", which we've mentioned already. The XFL also paid teams so much for winning. The team would divide the money up between players evenly, except for the kickers who got less than the rest of the team did. And it was capped off by the Million Dollar Game.

maddox_trophy.jpg

wonder if Maddox still has the trophy?

maddox_trophy.jpg

Paying the teams for winning was one of the things I liked about the XFL. (The overhead camera and cheerleaders were the others) That trophy reeks of awesomeness :) I would have preferred that trophy to only have the 'X' instead of the other clutter. I wonder where that trophy is right now?

I saw, I came, I left.

The XFL would still be around today had it not been linked with the WWE IMO.

And yes that trophy has to be right at the top of sweet trophies along with the Stanley Cup and the Galloping Gobler.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

Yeah, it was a bad idea, but I'm kinda glad it happened.  It gave us, of course, He Hate Me and the "coin toss", which we've mentioned already.  The XFL also paid teams so much for winning.  The team would divide the money up between players evenly, except for the kickers who got less than the rest of the team did.  And it was capped off by the Million Dollar Game.

maddox_trophy.jpg

Paying the teams for winning was one of the things I liked about the XFL. (The overhead camera and cheerleaders were the others) That trophy reeks of awesomeness :) I would have preferred that trophy to only have the 'X' instead of the other clutter. I wonder where that trophy is right now?

what are you suggesting quad? The trophy do a 5-second pose?

Yeah, it was a bad idea, but I'm kinda glad it happened.  It gave us, of course, He Hate Me and the "coin toss", which we've mentioned already.  The XFL also paid teams so much for winning.  The team would divide the money up between players evenly, except for the kickers who got less than the rest of the team did.  And it was capped off by the Million Dollar Game.

maddox_trophy.jpg

what are you suggesting quad? The trophy do a 5-second pose?

For those who have the benefit of flash photography? Sure :D

I saw, I came, I left.

I believe the trophy is back in the WWE offices, if not destroyed. I've been scrambling all over the place looking for it, so if ANYONE finds the Demons team picture. Email it to me AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

BTW, the WWE still has all the old XFL uniforms and equipment in their possession. The commercial for the 2003 Survivor Series pay-per-view event featured wrestlers invading a football game being played between the Demons and the Enforcers. Basicallly, it's wrestlers beating up football players.

Funny line at the end though, as they cut to Vince McMahon in the stands: "A wrestling football league?....Nah, it'll never work." :P

oakqb4.jpg

I believe the trophy is back in the WWE offices, if not destroyed. I've been scrambling all over the place looking for it, so if ANYONE finds the Demons team picture. Email it to me AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

Hey puckguy have you tried emailing the offices of the WWE? I'm pretty sure they can tell you what happened to the trophy

Wikipedia is a great resource!!

It is in this case in part because I wrote a fair amount of the article. :D

The most fun I've had with Wikipedia though was when I re-wrote the article they had on the 25th amendment, only to get flamed via e-mail from people who disputed my information.

I retorted in the best way I knew how - I contacted (1) the Senator who wrote the damned amendment in the first place (Birch Bayh, former Indiana Senator ultimately defeated for re-election by Dan Quayle), and (2) Fred Fielding, an attorney who worked closely with the Reagan administration and who advised him on the first implementation of its "Acting President" provisions (and, as a sidenote, someone who until this week was widely believed to be "Deep Throat").

I then forwarded their verifications of the information I had posted to each and every one of those who said I was wrong. It took me weeks to compile everything, but God it felt good. :grin:

nav-logo.png

Hey puckguy have you tried emailing the offices of the WWE? I'm pretty sure they can tell you what happened to the trophy

Bet I can guess its ultimate destination, unless its been destroyed or McMahon is an utter prick about it: the Pro Football Hall of Fame. They love trinkets like that.

nav-logo.png

Archived