What WAS the XFL?

brennus

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The XFL was a football league that was run by the same guy that did one of the wrestling federations, Vince Mc(something). He said that the league would have hot cheerleader chicks and the players would be encouraged to date them. The teams had wacky jerseys and logos. Players were allowed to put just about anything for the name they would have on their jersey. NBC had a TV contract with them.

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% about how you react to it.
App State Mountaineers / Alabama Crimson Tide / Atlanta Braves / New York Jets / Atlanta Hawks
"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards." [Bear Bryant]
Redmond Rampage

You must have a memory problem. It was only 4 years ago (2001), so you were at least 10.

The XFL was a late winter-spring football league created by Vince McMahon of the WWF/WWE. He created the league to glorify showboating and celebrations over actual skill. Players could put whatever they wanted on their jerseys (the most famous one was "He Hate Me"). There was no coin flip at the beginning of the game, each team had a player who raced each other 40 yards to the football. First one who gets it gets the ball.

http://www.rememberthexfl.8m.com/

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Plus it allowed several players to make the jump to the NFL, like Rod Smart and Tommy Maddox

Rod Smart was the "He Hate Me" guy. Also I remember in one dash for the ball, one of players separated his shoulder and was out for the year. :lol:

I saw, I came, I left.

You must have a memory problem. It was only 4 years ago (2001), so you were at least 10.

The XFL was a late winter-spring football league created by Vince McMahon of the WWF/WWE. He created the league to glorify showboating and celebrations over actual skill. Players could put whatever they wanted on their jerseys (the most famous one was "He Hate Me"). There was no coin flip at the beginning of the game, each team had a player who raced each other 40 yards to the football. First one who gets it gets the ball.

http://www.rememberthexfl.8m.com/

I think I seriously do... How the heck do I remember seeing XFL stuff on SportsCenter when I was like, 8? HOW?!

The XFL was an overall bad idea, but there were a few rules that i liked:

1) the Scramble for the ball instead of coin toss: Makes you actually earn the ball instead of just luck

2) No Fair Catch: Be a man, stand in there, and catch it! This would improve punt return coverage teams.

I believe the XFL also invented the Cable Cam which is above and behind the line of scrimmage, which is used by ESPN a lot now.

2) No Fair Catch: Be a man, stand in there, and catch it! This would improve punt return coverage teams.

Brilliant! The CFL should adopt this! Anyone know Tom Wright's email address?

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I think my favorite wrinkle was the live punts. Meaning, like a kickoff, the punt was live after 10 yards. It proved for some interesting game play like teams "punting" on third down.

Would I want to see this in the NFL? Hell no. But it was kinda cool non-the-less.

The cable cam indeed come from the XFL. Probably arena football's cameras on the field was inspired by the XFL having a camera crew right by the huddle.

I remember is EVERYONE was excited about it. I don't think anyone I talked to wasn't looking forward to it. Then, everyone around the 2nd quarter of the first game suddenly forgot they ever wished it to happen and started saying they were against it from the begining.

Was it a good idea? No. But I'm glad it happened. We got to see some of the ideas that people have talked about in place in real life situations instead of in the NFL, and saw that some worked (unique camera angles, players developing personalities) and some didn't. (no fair catch, etc.)

I wish it was a higher level of football, it might have stuck around for a few years. It never would have come close to the NFL, Arena, or probably even the USFL. But I wouldn't have minded it for a few more years.

The XFL is a disappointing memory. It was very average football with some personality thrown in. If it was less personality and better football it could have worked.

It was upsetting that it ended so soon. News stories from back then hinted at an expansion. Pittsburgh -- where i lived at the time -- was discussed as one possible location, which was exciting then.

I don't know if that league ever had the chance to survive. I wish it had. If nothing else, it was another league with more team uniforms for us to comment on.

Did anyone really watch the Million Dollar Bowl? I believe the two teams that played were the Los Angeles Xtreme who won the game and I believe the San Francisco Demons

I remember is EVERYONE was excited about it. I don't think anyone I talked to wasn't looking forward to it. Then, everyone around the 2nd quarter of the first game suddenly forgot they ever wished it to happen and started saying they were against it from the begining.

Really? Around Gotham, it was nothing but a joke. Once we knew McMahon was in charge, it was evident that the league was about personality and not skill, and we all knew it would low-grade minor league football at best. Even before the first game, it was a bad punch line.

"Long Bomb: How the XFL Became TV's Biggest Fiasco" on Amazon.com

Great book about the XFL from announcement to disgrace.

I loved Pac Bell Park as a football field, it looked awesome, and how the Demons went for the whole "black hole"-type home field advantage idea. Other than that the league sucked. I remember during half-time they went into the locker rooms and they hyped all game that they would show salacious, sexy live footage of the cheerleaders locker room, but it was just always lame.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

We got to see some of the ideas that people have talked about in place in real life situations instead of in the NFL, and saw that some worked (unique camera angles, players developing personalities)

Wha-huh?

So, TO isn't a personality?

Michael Irvin and Deion Sanders weren't personalities?

Oh, you must have meant fake personalities, just like all those professional wrasslers.

I can assure you that the NFL has enough problems with ClownAsses like TO to have to deal with that the last thing they want or need is players inventing personalities.

Worst. Idea. Ever.

Encouraging the players to have personalities IS a good idea for business. You've listed the bad ones. But if fans can relate to the players the idolize more, sales will increase. I didn't say it was perfect the way the XFL went about it, and we don't want a bunch of TO's running around. But if you expose the good sides of many players I think you'll find many to be great members of society. If they can let out a little bit of fun on the field, it'd be good.

I think you are right though. Everything in the NFL should be uniform right down to the personalities. We shouldn't encourage kids to idolize the good things some players do (they aren't all TO's). Instead 22 mindless drones on the field would be much more entertaining and marketable than being able to see a players face or watch the joy they have playing a game.

Archived