LA Clippers Concept

swilson160

Hi, everyone, my name is Sean, and I'm a jerseyholic. Long-time reader, first-time poster. So I got myself Adobe Illustrator and went wild, and here's the result--my first jersey concept, for the LA Clippers. The team needs a new look since they actually might be good for the first time ever, but in the spirit of recent NBA (and other sport) makeovers, I kept the basic logo, changing the colors and the font. The royal blue stays, but the red is gone, replaced with a dark green. C&C, por favor, and be brutal. Stylistic apologies to the Orlando Magic and Seattle Mariners.

EDIT: My Geocities is going down (not a ton of views, just the free service being crappy), so here's the concept.

WORDMARK:

wordmark.gif

PRIMARY:

primary.gif

SECONDARY:

secondary.gif

HOME:

home.gif

ROAD:

road.gif

ALTERNATE:

alternate.gif

I'm not exactly sure of the significance of the Steelers-like star. Could you explain why you chose that? As far as the colors, I'm not really sold on those either. They look alot like what the Bucks have now. I'm glad your first concept wasn't with Paint, but this one leaves me scratching my head.

rrhgsig.gif

First of all, :welcome:

Second of all, pretty good concept...i think better than what they have now....but im not too sure about the colors either. i would think it would be hard though to come up with a concept for the clippers just because theres not much you can do other than chagne the colors. all in all, good for a first post.

teamsnew2.png

I'm not exactly sure of the significance of the Steelers-like star. Could you explain why you chose that? As far as the colors, I'm not really sold on those either. They look alot like what the Bucks have now. I'm glad your first concept wasn't with Paint, but this one leaves me scratching my head.

The star is supposed to represent a compass and the colors are supposed to be somewhat ocean-like. Clipper ships aren't the most transfixing sports logos...

The star is supposed to represent a compass and the colors are supposed to be somewhat ocean-like. Clipper ships aren't the most transfixing sports logos...

The modernized primary is a start, but I think the best Clipper concepts we've had on this board have infact used the Clipper Ship. Remember. some of our favorite logos involve socks! If that'll transfix you, I think a big cool ship might.

Yeah do that.  Do exactly THAT

my problem with this concept is that it dosnt fix anything that's wrong with the current clippers logo. the logo still looks like the lakers' logo, and there is nothing that conveys the name "clippers" (the compus looking thing on the "i" is too abstract. most people wont get it). the clippers use to have a great logo that conveyed the team name very nicley. also, there have been a couple of nice clippers concepts that included clipper ships, so it is possible.

its a nice attempt for your first concept, and it's very well presented, but it just dosnt fix any of the current identity's problems.

Well, I have 2 issues with this concept...The first is the color scheme....like someone else pointed out, it looks a LOT like what the Bucks have right now (then again, it could be monitor, but that royal blue's looking an awful lot like a purple at the moment)....the other is with the alternate. Yes, it would be distinctive to have the whole team name on the jersey, but it looks a little too college-ish for an NBA team, IMO...

Other than that, it's a pretty solid concept for the most part...I like the modernizing of the Clips wordmark on the logo (as much as it may look like the LakeShow's, they've used it since their San Diego days..) and I really like the touch of putting LOS ANGELES on the road jerseys...

It's a good way to start off....

Oh yah, :welcome: to the CCSLC...enjoy your stay :D

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

As a Clippers fan I have to say I hate it....but I hate the current logos also...but you gotta stick with the colors or something...I like the jerseys they have now.....the only change would be the logo and this does nothing. The LAC secondary is far superior to this. I think someone had done one with a clipper ship that I liked. If youre going to change it go all the way with just the logo and leave the jerseys.....they finally have them right.

Hey Sean,

I, for one, actually like the idea. The home jersey is pretty sweet and think it looks pretty solid, and although the colors are similar to the Bucks, it's decent enough anyway for a unique look. The primary logo looks a bit different with the typeface, but that's okay, because that's what you're going for. Not too bad, I like it personally.

:welcome: , Sean.

I like the concept, but it could use some tweaks.

As far as the allure of clipper ships, there are some beautiful concepts on these boards that are based on the ship. Search the archives; it can be pulled off starting from scratch.

The color scheme is very dark, and doesn't make me think of Southern California. Purple and forest green make me think of "Colorado Rockies" more than "LA Clippers". Make it a blue like the Detroit Lions wear, and then you won't have two dark colors fighting each other to be a complementary color. White would also make these dark road and alt jerseys come to life.

In "Los Angeles" and in "Clippers", you mixed uppercase and lowercase letters, which may be due to the font you used. But it comes across as awkward. And the alternate looks very collegiate with the lettering above and below the number. The Hornets tried it when they first came into the league, and ultimately dropped that idea. It's nice-looking, but not very NBA.

It's a great first start; see if there's anything you've gotten out of the C&C and see what you can do to kick these up a notch or two. (BAM!)

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Well, those of you who saw purple, it's actually royal blue. As for a clipper ship logo, I tried this originally, but, since I have no experience with Illustrator, I decided to keep it relatively simple. (I finally decided that, if I'm really gonna go all out with it, I'd change the name, too. Clippers? Who's afraid of a big bad sailing vessel?)

Thanks to all for the C&C. I'm still learnin...

• 2 years later...
This reminds me alot of the Milwaukee Bucks, but its a good logo change because the Clippers logo is strangely similar to the Lakers logo.

Any need to bump a almost 3 year-old thread?

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

What's the deal? Seems like every year, there's this period of time where newbies starting bringing up old threads. Can't we make like a list at the time everybody joins that makes them adhere to some rules, like not reviving a 3 year old thread unless you're the original poster and are updating your design, or if something has been done using that particular concept.

Otherwise, it's old post revival season. <_<

Archived