The New NHL Logo unvieled

jkrdevil

Officially, the logo is the gradient-mess. There are THREE official colors - Black, "Heavy" Silver, and Light Silver. There is a couple of alternate versions - one with no gradients (for embroidery use), and another one with only the Black and Light Silver (for applications under 1.5").

Here are the three versions (in all their glory):

Official Logo:

NHLShield_PL_2006-9999_SOL.jpg

Embroidery Use (no gradients):

NHLShield_EmbroideryUse_2006-9999_S.jpg

Special Use (applications under 1.5"):

NHLShield_SpecialApplications_2006-.jpg

This is precisely why I want to form a religion and worship you as my god, PANTONE ...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:notworthy:

Can I just say again how much Pantone ROCKS? He does!

And while "Deep Hurting" is good, it's nowhere as effective as "Rock Climbing", but it's more efficient than "Sand Storm"... :D

Just remember...I'm not the ONLY one with connections here...(!)

There are some seriously connected folks here who keep a low-profile...

(sometimes I think I should be like that too!)

sigh*...I'm just the messenger...someone else on this board (who shall remain nameless) gave these to me...I'm just passing the knowledge on to everyone else...

then be glad we didnt shoot you ^_^

There are some seriously connected folks here who keep a low-profile...

(sometimes I think I should be like that too!)

Can't put the cheese back in the spray can, Pantone. ^_^

Things I Dont like:

-Why is there so many outlines? Too thick

-The direction looks really akward. Look at the Rangers jerseys you dont see the Rangers starting from the bottom left.

-Black and silver sheild? The raiders logo, one of the best logos there is already has that.

-Gradients=suck

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

The typeface reminds me of the logotype used for Gary Fisher bikes (compare the H):logotype.gif

The Gary Fisher logo gets something right the NHL logo doesn't... the horizontal strokes, optically, look thicker than the vertical strokes, which is the opposite of what it should be. The proportions of the letters are awful, as well. Except for the lettering and the slope direction change, I like it. I might even be able to deal with the slope change if the lettering were better executed.

See...I thought they might have invented chrome thread for the patches for the new logo.

Chrome? Chrome?

I call it GRAPHITE!!!

It's Black, Heavy Silver and Light Silver.

Apparently, the ink they use to produce the Heavy Silver has lead in it.

(I keed, I keed...)

:P

I know this is not a request board but .... with all the talent that is here... could someone make an attempt at the new shield but the N H L going the same direction as the original shield? Just to compare the two styles. Sorry now if I pissed anybody off :hockeysmiley:

Am I the only one that thinks it's rotated clockwise a degree? Looks it to me.

I see what you are but I'm thinking it's the seperation lines and gradients making it look that way.

I know this is not a request board but .... with all the talent that is here... could someone make an attempt at the new shield but the N H L going the same direction as the original shield? Just to compare the two styles. Sorry now if I pissed anybody off :hockeysmiley:

It was done earlier in the thread. With the action serifs it looks odd going down.

I'll admit I like it more now than I did before, but I still wish there was some orange in there.

The new direction of the text is perfectly understandable. Text is never supposed to be slanted left, since it confuses the eye (we're reading left-to-right but the text is pointing right-to-left).

With the new logo, the text is merely italicised and straightened so it goes upward. The letterforms themselves don't look as stupid anymore.

As for the new extra bordering, it's fine, I like it, though I don't think it was strictly necessary.

Colour change is fine. Although the orange/black was a big part of the NHL's former identity, the new logo is modernised and more professional.

I have a particular distaste for gradients in logos, but I'm impressed with the embroidery style logo.

Overall, it's not a step backward by any means. Whether it's a step forward or not, well that's up to the individual viewer.

Dragons.gifPreds.gifTitans.gifSonics.gif

Crests.gif

Archived