Expos/Nationals history

VitaminD

I thought that the Nationals were going to take the Expos' history with them to D.C. when they became the Nationals. I know they wouldn't post an '81 NL East banner or anything, but I thought they intended to honor the uniform numbers retired already.

Nobody's wearing #8 (Gary Carter) or #10 (Rusty Staub/Andre Dawson) yet, but Mike Stanton has been wearing Tim Raines's old #30, which was retired before the team left Canada. What is their official policy on this?

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I thought that the Nationals were going to take the Expos' history with them to D.C. when they became the Nationals. I know they wouldn't post an '81 NL East banner or anything, but I thought they intended to honor the uniform numbers retired already.

Nobody's wearing #8 (Gary Carter) or #10 (Rusty Staub/Andre Dawson) yet, but Mike Stanton has been wearing Tim Raines's old #30, which was retired before the team left Canada. What is their official policy on this?

Looks like they don't give a damn

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I thought that the Nationals were going to take the Expos' history with them to D.C. when they became the Nationals.  I know they wouldn't post an '81 NL East banner or anything, but I thought they intended to honor the uniform numbers retired already.

Nobody's wearing #8 (Gary Carter) or #10 (Rusty Staub/Andre Dawson) yet, but Mike Stanton has been wearing Tim Raines's old #30, which was retired before the team left Canada.  What is their official policy on this?

Looks like they don't give a damn

frankly my dear, i dont give a damn.

too bad too. montreal may not have been the best team but dammit they had history

I thought that the Nationals were going to take the Expos' history with them to D.C. when they became the Nationals.  I know they wouldn't post an '81 NL East banner or anything, but I thought they intended to honor the uniform numbers retired already.

Nobody's wearing #8 (Gary Carter) or #10 (Rusty Staub/Andre Dawson) yet, but Mike Stanton has been wearing Tim Raines's old #30, which was retired before the team left Canada.  What is their official policy on this?

Washington Nationals : History : Retired Numbers

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

I'm sure they didn't realize it.

Which is wacky, to say the least. They just signed Stanton. I guess the argument is that the number is an Expos retired jersey, not a Nationals retired jersey.

Who knows though.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

The Expos are dead.

Raines, and for that matter Carter or Dawson, have never represented or Washington in any way, shape form, so let the Nats use old Expos numbers.

6uXNWAo.png

Couldn't disagree with you more, Curty.

They are a part of the lineage of that franchise, and should not be dropped from its history books. I understand not putting big banners in the outfield for these players, or big banners for Expos accomplishments, but the numbers should still be held back from new players.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

besides, according to the home page of the team's history section, they consider the expos as part of their history, and make no mention of the previous washington teams.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/NASApp...story/index.jsp

why they wear the "Est. 1905" patch is beyond me. they were founded in 1969. their own site says so.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/NASApp...y/timeline1.jsp

Maybe they are referring to the Senators to take advantage of the Washington tradition thing..

Milwaukee has done the same kind of things with the Braves to some extent and the Mariners have worn Seattle Pilots unis and stuff

But all teams honor the history of the franchise after they move so it is a pretty big blunder to not honor a retired number. Especially for Stanton who I'm sure has worn different numbers..

I mean the first Senators became the Twins and the expansion Senators became the Rangers and there aren't too many numbers worth retiring from either of those old Senator teams but neither team ignores that history

This isn't the first time this has happened with a team moving from one area to another and saying fluff tradition.

The Hurricanes after leaving Hartford reissued the 3 retired numbers the Whalers had....seemed kinda surreal and somewhat sickening to see Glen Wesley wearing #2 when it had been in the rafters for Rick Ley since the early 80s...

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

Yeah that's bad. Like Stanton needed number 30.

Montreal had nice tradition.

That apparently started in 1905 according to the Nats' jerseys.

So, where were the Nats from 1905 until 2004?

In a fantasy baseball tournament???

That "Est. 1905" REALLY SUCKS!!!

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

This isn't the first time this has happened with a team moving from one area to another and saying fluff tradition.

The Hurricanes after leaving Hartford reissued the 3 retired numbers the Whalers had....seemed kinda surreal and somewhat sickening to see Glen Wesley wearing #2 when it had been in the rafters for Rick Ley since the early 80s...

As awkward as it must be for a Whalers fan to see a retired number "unretired", I think the Hurricanes made a conscious decision to distance themselves from all things Whalers. Also, they were going to a market that is not a traditional hockey market, to put it mildly (although there are a ton of transplants from all over the U.S. - especially the Northeast - so there are hockey fans; they just like other teams). I don't see Karmanos as being that romantic about the Whalers, and the team was faithful to that philosophy about leaving the Whalers in Connecticut. I am not saying it's right or wrong.

By contrast, the Nationals have gone to some trouble to preserve the lineage between themselves and the Expos. And as has been detailed, they list retired numbers on their own site. Mike Stanton has appeared in a handful of games now; you'd think someone could've pointed this out.

Of course, the Nationals are also flaunting this "Est. 1905" nonsense as well; sort of baseball history a la carte, mixing and matching to suit their needs.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived