minnesota

pittfan11

I'll Chime in on my teams:

Twins: These uniforms have been around for 18 years--and seen 5 postseasons and two world championships. I am happy if they keep them, because I would be scared to see what they would go to. Honestly, I'd like them to keep their home jersey and use their home alt as their only alt. They need a new "Minnesota" script on the road and to ditch the pinstripes. I love the "TC" cap. Ditch the "M". I don't feel that the Twins have great uniforms, but they are at least average.

Vikings: These are awsome and I hope they keep them for a long time. Previously, I hoped they'd put yellow outlines on the numbers, and once they did, I was not disappointed. I only have two things to want changed: #1, I'd like the stripes to match (to look like the white jersey). #2, I have never really liked the horn helmet. I'd like to see the sleeve logo on the helmet.

T-Wolves. I LOVED their logo and uniform when they came out for the 1989-1990 expansion year, but they did get outdated in a hurry. I'd like a "partial overhaul". The wolf logo should stay, but the font needs to be changed. And while at it, more green, less black and silver.

Wild. Terrible name. GREAT colors, logo unis. About the only thing I would change is the alt. I hate that thing (I know most people like it). I'd like a red alt with the same logo and maybe a different stripe pattern (but not like the lame sleeves they use today). About the only complaint I have on the primaries is the numbers. I'd like to see something a bit more basic.

Of the four teams, the only one I'd say NEEDS a change is the Wolves.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised this thread's generated such discussion. I didn't think the Minnesota teams' uniforms were controversial.

Here's my take:

TWINS: I have no problems with the existing uniforms. They're the World Series set, certainly. But, as a matter of personal preference and nothing more, I'd love to see them bring back the original script. I loved some concepts on this board using the old 60s-80s script in a modernized uniform.

VIKINGS: The Vikes are a classic. That said, I don't know that I'd protest much if someone came up with a slightly modernized version. I think the Rams, for example, came off pretty well with an update that kept the spirit of the originals. I'm not advocating Vegas gold or anything, but some kind of update wouldn't be protested from me.

T-WOLVES: So I'm in the minority that liked the early T-Wolves look. I'm sure it's just nostalgia speaking here. I went to more T-Wolves games when they wore those -- and when they played in the Metrodome -- than I've been to in this current set. I'm surprised to see how many people dislike their uniforms. And i agree with whoever said an update with more emphasis on green is needed. I think that's a sound idea.

WILD: Again, outside the name, I'm disappointed to hear so many protests over the logo and jerseys. I think the Wild clearly have some of the best uniforms and one of the best logos in the NHL. I think it nicely represents Minnesota and does so in an attractive framework that fits nicely on a hockey sweater. Though i do hate the alternate jersey. Way too Christmas-y.

ONe more Minnesotan's opinions

TWINS-I'll admit they're not the best looking unis in MLB, but I put them in the same category as the Broncos current duds. Not gfreat looking, but when you see those unis, you think World Series champs, while the '60's/'70's/early '80's unis, while they look better, symbolize never really accomplishing anything. Maybe if they could do something with the road unis, like someone else said with removing the pinstripes, that might work. But for the most part, keep it.

PURPLE CITY- No, change nothing. The purple pants would be cool to see on the road sometimes (like how the Eagles sometimes go all white and sometimes white w/green pants on the road), but I fear they would eventually try an all Purple combo at home, which the world might not be ready for.

T-WOLVES-I know some people hate, but I always liked these. The pine tree trim, the color scheme, maybe the font can be altered but that's it. Or keep the current font and just put 'Wolves' on the fronts.

WILD-They got a good looking home/road combo, they should keep it. You have to understand how hard it must be to design a decent logo/uni combo with one of the dumbest names in the NHL. They somehow managed to do that, and they shouldn't mess with it. The red alt I can take or leave.

GOPHERS-They're good in any sport I care about, but for basketball they need to decide if they're going to go with gold at home or white at home. Personally, I like the gold better, but the whites could stay on as an alt or something.

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

I like the T-Wolves' uniforms; it's the logo that needs work. By itself it's ok but when it's in full with the pine trees, it doesn't look canine enough, and it looks too much like Memphis's new logo. I like the colors fine, and the pattern on the collar doesn't bother me (and I liked it on the 'Yotes Hopi-logo jerseys.).

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity."

--Abraham Lincoln

The original T-Wolves stuff was bad. REALLY bad.

Wow, I'm really surprised to see you saying this. Usually our tastes are pretty similar. I for one loved the T-Wolves original design. The logo was beautiful and the uniforms were classic in format but contemporary in lettering and numbering. IMHO the NBA expansion phase of 88 and 89 (Charlotte, Miami, Minnesota and Orlando) was the single best roll-out of new designs in the history of sports, followed closely by the 1984 USFL expansion (Jacksonville, Oklahoma, Houston, Pittsburgh, Memphis, San Antonio).

I just can't agree with any of that, yh.

- Logo: It was ok. it would have been better without the gratuitous basketball, I think. But the new logo is fantastic. It's a great-looking wolf, in better colours for a wolf, and the treeline addition is Brilliams!

- Unis: The lettering and numbering didn't say "contemporary" to me. It said "cheap uninspired crap." It also said "the Mavs don't look good in these shades of blue and green, either." They looked totally bush-league hokey in those jerseys. I like the new jerseys, though there are things I would like to see altered, such as the number font (but not the wordmark) and removing the blue outline from around the player name letters (or did they finally do that last year?). (They should also use the blue jerseys more, and lessen the exposure of the black unis.) Otherwise, they're great. The treeline trim adds a great-looking unique aspect. The shades of blue and green they've gone to are great; and since blue and green directly together are still a tough sell (the Whale even had trouble with it, until their later incarnations), they've done well to not try and repeat their error of putting green numbers and letters on a blue jersey, keeping the green as a lesser trim colour.

The only thing I can agree on is that the other teams--Charlotte, Miami, and Orlando--did bring some good stuff to the table. I especially liked Charlotte's quasi-pinstripe jerseys..

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Wild.  Terrible name.  GREAT colors, logo unis.  About the only thing I would change is the alt.  I hate that thing (I know most people like it).  I'd like a red alt with the same logo and maybe a different stripe pattern (but not like the lame sleeves they use today).

I was at the game when they first wore the new alt and right away thought of what tweaks I would have made to them, some of which you mentioned.

This is what I created that night when I got home.

alteredalt.jpg

I took how the shoulders meet the sleeve treatment from the Red Wings white jerseys (as well as 80's Penguins)

The green center stripe is from the Canadiens red jerseys.

The circle around the logo, unchanged from the Wild's design, is classic Blackhawks.

The name and number font is from the Rangers.

More than the odd way the sleeves meet the shoulders, I hate the font for the numbers on the alt with a passion. It's the generic font you see on just about every jersey that is done without care or attention to authenticity. Beause of that, I will always hate that font.

If you are going to go vintage, what better than to take design clues from four of the Original Six?

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

When I made this forum I didn't say anything about the wild. They're still for the most part a new team. I don't really like the red alternates cause the numbers on the jersey don't match with the home and road jerseys. And I thought the wild had those jerseys just for that year because minnesota hosted the all-star game.

mav23.gif

Wild.  Terrible name.  GREAT colors, logo unis.  About the only thing I would change is the alt.  I hate that thing (I know most people like it).  I'd like a red alt with the same logo and maybe a different stripe pattern (but not like the lame sleeves they use today).

I was at the game when they first wore the new alt and right away thought of what tweaks I would have made to them, some of which you mentioned.

This is what I created that night when I got home.

alteredalt.jpg

I took how the shoulders meet the sleeve treatment from the Red Wings white jerseys (as well as 80's Penguins)

The green center stripe is from the Canadiens red jerseys.

The circle around the logo, unchanged from the Wild's design, is classic Blackhawks.

The name and number font is from the Rangers.

More than the odd way the sleeves meet the shoulders, I hate the font for the numbers on the alt with a passion. It's the generic font you see on just about every jersey that is done without care or attention to authenticity. Beause of that, I will always hate that font.

If you are going to go vintage, what better than to take design clues from four of the Original Six?

The Rangers numbers remind me of the North Stars...

This is definately better. The sleeves are much better (I think the sleeves are what bug me most about the current alt).

I'd maybe throw a thin gold outline around the green shawdows so they do not blend right into the stripe.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

PURPLE CITY- No, change nothing. The purple pants would be cool to see on the road sometimes (like how the Eagles sometimes go all white and sometimes white w/green pants on the road), but I fear they would eventually try an all Purple combo at home, which the world might not be ready for.

I seem to remember a picture of Fran Tarkenton wearing both purple pants and a purple jersey.

Now, granted, I may be wrong. I'm trying to remember something from 1962 or '63, and I would have been 6 or 7 years old at the time. But that picture does stick in my mind, and it wasn't that awful.

I, too, would like to see the Vikings go to the purple pants with the white jerseys, at least as an alternate uniform. As for purple and purple ... well, let's see how the purple and white would go first.

GOPHERS-They're good in any sport I care about, but for basketball they need to decide if they're going to go with gold at home or white at home. Personally, I like the gold better, but the whites could stay on as an alt or something.

Whoever decided that the Gopher hoops team should have a white jersey and wear it at home needs to be fired. I swear, The Barn is the only place where a gold jersey works (although I wouldn't mind the football team wearing it on VERY special occasions, like ND's green jerseys) Football? Don't like the white/gold combination, maybe white/maroon? And hockey, I love both the home and away jerseys. Note how it looks like the Wild's jerseys.

sportsbanner-single.jpg

I seem to remember a picture of Fran Tarkenton wearing both purple pants and a purple jersey.

Now, granted, I may be wrong. I'm trying to remember something from 1962 or '63, and I would have been 6 or 7 years old at the time. But that picture does stick in my mind, and it wasn't that awful.

I, too, would like to see the Vikings go to the purple pants with the white jerseys, at least as an alternate uniform. As for purple and purple ... well, let's see how the purple and white would go first.

You're correct. It happened in a 1964 game with the Lions (alluded to in a previous post in this thread), but it wasn't intentional. This game is part of NFL Films' "Lost Treasures" series. Games were seldom on TV then so the fans almost never got to see the Vikes in their white-over-purple away unis, so they decided to wear 'em for a home game. But...the Vikings forgot to notify the Lions, who also came out for the game dressed in white jerseys. The game started with both teams in white and if memory serves, it's was like mid-2nd quarter by the time an equipment man could go from the stadium to the Vikings' facility and retrieve the purple jerseys. What followed was the extraordinarily odd sight of all the Vikings simultaneously changing jerseys on the sideline, followed by something rather hideous: the Vikings finishing the game wearing the purple jerseys over purple pants, topped by their grape-Tootsie-Popesque purple helmets.

Minnesota coach Norm Van Brocklin was so grossed out by the mono-purple look that the Vikings did away with the purple pants the following year and went to white-over-white on the road.

Now, about just having "Wolves" on the Timberwolves' jerseys...don't forget about the New York Metropolitans.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Now, about just having "Wolves" on the Timberwolves' jerseys...don't forget about the New York Metropolitans.

And the New York Knickerbockers.

I really liked the original Wolves jerseys...but I don't think they need to be brought back. I'd change the number font and a few other things on the current jerseys, and they'd be a lot better.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

And the New York Knickerbockers.

I really liked the original Wolves jerseys...but I don't think they need to be brought back. I'd change the number font and a few other things on the current jerseys, and they'd be a lot better.

I liked those jerseys too.

Don't forget that Philly's jerseys usually have said "Sixers."

POTD (Shared)

I'd like to see the TWolves go back to a design similar to when they entered the league, maybe with the current colors.

mn-tim96h21.gifmn-tim96r21.gif

I'll agree with you on this one. I always liked their first set. They were simple. I don't mind the current ones either, but i like the original color combo much better.

No.

My 8 week old cat crapped a better jersey than that this morning.

In the litter box?

Just as a point of order, the Mets are not now, nor have they ever been, the "New York Metropolitans." They've always been the "Mets." Just the "Mets."

The nickname is derived from the original corporate name - "The New York Metropolitan Baseball Club." But the nickname of the team has always been the Mets.

Archived