New NHL Game Puck Design...

ColeJ

That's the best they could do?

I've got over 500 NHL game & souvenir pucks, and I will be saving $250 this year by not buying that garbage. Looks like my money will go to picking up some classic Viceroy or Converse pucks instead! (So much for money saved -- more like money diverted!)

That's the best they could do?

I've got over 500 NHL game & souvenir pucks, and I will be saving $250 this year by not buying that garbage. Looks like my money will go to picking up some classic Viceroy or Converse pucks instead! (So much for money saved -- more like money diverted!)

Are you joking? There's barely any change there.

Also, how come the 'old' version has the new NHL shield?

366678430_f28e9d99de_o.jpg

That's the old logo on there. NHL is diagonally going down, while the new one is going up diagonally, in the opposite direction.

As for the new pucks itself, well, this I think is all about merchandise, because with a lot of black on there, it looks as if you can use for autographs compared to previous designs. It's nice, but not needed.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I agree with the thread starter: this is a backward step. The old puck looked great.

There's a happy balance they could have achieved between the two by thinning the outline like in the new one (that second team name was superfluous anyway), and leaving the NHL logo where it was (or moved to the top).

Oh, and as cool as a silver and colour-printed puck is, surely a league which was struggling revenue-wise could have cut some costs in the puck department by printing white-on-puck? I mean, it's all a bit extravagant for a little rubber thing that gets hacked to bits every game.

Dragons.gifPreds.gifTitans.gifSonics.gif

Crests.gif

Why do they even print them at all. It really is pointless, kind of like the NCAA football schools that hot-brand their logo onto their leather game balls. Oh, that's where my tuition is going.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I've always thought this tradition needs to bite the dust. Balls/pucks should just have the league logo (or the playoff series logo), not the team logo. I think if I were an NHL player and I scored some monumental goal (1st, 100th, etc) on the ROAD, it would be REALLY lame to put that on my mantle and see the team I was playing AGAINST.

AstrosTransitionsSig.gif

Ah, it's a puck.

I remember Don Cherry sharing about his coaching days when a puck went into the crowd in Boston the fans would throw it back as they didn't have the Bruins logo on it.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I've always thought this tradition needs to bite the dust. Balls/pucks should just have the league logo (or the playoff series logo), not the team logo. I think if I were an NHL player and I scored some monumental goal (1st, 100th, etc) on the ROAD, it would be REALLY lame to put that on my mantle and see the team I was playing AGAINST.

They had generic league logo only pucks for I think one season (I actually have one that I bought but I don't think it's that rare or anything). The goalies first complained about the non-standard team logos on one side, saying the pucks looked too different when they were spinning because the logo sides were so different. Then they made them all have the same generic NHL shield logo on one side, and everyone complained they were boring. So then they went back to the team logos, but with a more standardized design. I think this is the best move.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Why do they even print them at all. It really is pointless, kind of like the NCAA football schools that hot-brand their logo onto their leather game balls. Oh, that's where my tuition is going.

Hey Indiana University has an Athletic Development Fee as part as tuition, that even though I go to IUPUI, I still have to pay.

I guess thats how IU is 3-0 so far.

I like the new the design actually. I think it looks pretty cool. I think I liked last year's better, but if they have to change, this isn't a bad design at all.

Dissenter agreeing. I think it looks cleaner and doesn't have the redundant team name and city right above the logo that has the team name and city.

I like the new the design actually.  I think it looks pretty cool.  I think I liked last year's better, but if they have to change, this isn't a bad design at all.

Dissenter agreeing. I think it looks cleaner and doesn't have the redundant team name and city right above the logo that has the team name and city.

well in all fairness, the stars one of the few teams that says the team name in the logo...

i just used them as an example, because i'm lazy, and i was looking at the stars proshop, when i noticed it.

the habs, blackhawks, canes, sharks, flames... none of them say the team name in the logo

I like the new the design actually.  I think it looks pretty cool.  I think I liked last year's better, but if they have to change, this isn't a bad design at all.

well in all fairness, the stars one of the few teams that says the team name in the logo...

I know. I couldn't pass it up. :) But don't you think the fans in the stands and the ones buying the pucks at home know what the team name is and what city they play in? I just think the new look overall is cleaner and sharper.

Actually, I think that that would be pretty cool. If you scored such a goal, you'd probably want to remember everything about it. Here's one way to commemorate that. "Ah yes, we were playing the Habs. I love scoring against the Habs."

Archived