Summing up MLB playoffs

mjrbaseball

In case you want to keep track of what could happen in baseball races this weekend, here are all the scenarios:

American League East and Wild Card

Yankees and Red Sox split, Indians sweep White Sox: Red Sox play at Yankees Monday for AL East champion, then loser plays Indians Tuesday for Wild Card (either Yankees at Indians or Indians at Red Sox).

Yankees and Red Sox split, Indians lose either game to White Sox: Yankees and Red Sox finished tied; Yankees win AL East, Red Sox are Wild Card due to head-to-head record.

Yankees sweep, Indians sweep: Yankees win AL East, Indians are Wild Card.

Yankees sweep, Indians and White Sox split: Yankees win AL East, Indians play at Red Sox Monday for Wild Card

Yankees sweep, Indians lose two: Yankees win AL East, Red Sox are Wild Card.

Red Sox sweep, Indians sweep: Red Sox win AL East, Indians are Wild Card.

Red Sox sweep, Indians and White Sox split: Red Sox wih AL East, Yankees play at Indians Monday for Wild Card.

Red Sox sweep, Indians lose two: Red Sox win AL East, Yankees are Wild Card.

National League Wild Card

Astros sweep Cubs OR Nationals sweep Phillies: Astros are Wild Card.

Astros and Cubs split, Phillies and Nationals split: Astros are Wild Card.

Astros and Cubs split, Phillies sweep Nationals: Astros play at Phillies Monday for Wild Card.

Phillies and Nationals split, Cubs sweep Astros: Astros play at Phillies Monday for Wild Card.

Phillies sweep Nationals, Cubs sweep Astros: Phillies win Wild Card.

Post-season possibilities

White Sox and Cardinals have the best record in each league.

In the American League, if Indians are Wild Card, White Sox would play either Angels or AL East winner with the worse record, and Indians would play either Angels or AL East winner with best record.

If Yankees or Red Sox are Wild Card, White Sox play Wild Card and Angels play AL East winner.

In the National League, if Astros are Wild Card, it's Cardinals vs. Padres and Braves vs. Astros. If Phillies are Wild Card, it's Cardinals vs. Phillies and Braves vs. Padres.

Which series starts when all depends on if there are tie-breaker games needed Monday (and maybe Tuesday).

CK3ZP8E.jpg

How do you split a three game series?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

You don't.

His scenarios already account for the results from Friday's games. So it is possible to split the remaining 2 games in each series he mentioned.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Astros and Cubs split, Phillies sweep Nationals: Phillies play at Astros Monday for Wild Card.

Phillies and Nationals split, Cubs sweep Astros: Phillies play at Astros Monday for Wild Card.

The Phillies will host the one game playoff on monday if it is played.

Astros and Cubs split, Phillies sweep Nationals: Phillies play at Astros Monday for Wild Card.

Phillies and Nationals split, Cubs sweep Astros: Phillies play at Astros Monday for Wild Card.

The Phillies will host the one game playoff on monday if it is played.

You are correct. Sorry. I fixed the error.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

The Yanks are winning 8-4 and the Indians already lost.

So the Yanks secured his playoff berth as AL East champs. Tomorrow the Red Sox should win to avoid the Monday playoff game against the Indians if they win.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

So they Yankees are in. I don't think the Yankees will rest everyone sunday and make it easy for the Red Sox. Torre said on friday that if the Yankees clinched on Saturday he would think about using Rivera for 2 innings on Sunday to try and keep the Red Sox out. However, I'm assuming that situation was if the Yankees won Friday and Saturday. The Indians game is a factor. The Yankees will rest some players not everyone.

Well with the Indians losing today and the Yanks winning they clinch the division since if it ends in a tie both teams make it and the Yanks by winning season series gets in.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Fluffing Yankees...:cursing:

Eh, don't worry, they gotta deal with the Angels now.

Personally I'm glad the Sox are (barring a huge collapse) gettin the Wild Card again this year. Chicago's been mediocre at best down the stretch.

One loss is a huge collapse?

How do you split a three game series?

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

One team wins one game the other team wins one game and the third game ends in a tie for some reason or another. That is how you split a three game series.

Signature intentionally left blank

If I have it right, the ALDS Game 1s will look like this if Boston wins today:

Angles at Yankees

Red Sox at White Sox

Anyone here think it's NOT going to be Yankees/Red Sox in the ALCS, again??

6uXNWAo.png

Angles at Yankees

Red Sox at White Sox

Uh, yeah. Me! At least I hope not. I'm so sick of Sox/Yanks...

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Angles at Yankees

Red Sox at White Sox

I do! The Halos have had the Yanks number for years, and combine that with Steinbrunner's depleted pitching staff, and the Angels' pitching staff and offensive momentum, and we could be looking at a repeat of 2002's Red October.

VmWIn6B.png

Fluffing Yankees...:cursing:

Eh, don't worry, they gotta deal with the Angels now.

Personally I'm glad the Sox are (barring a huge collapse) gettin the Wild Card again this year. Chicago's been mediocre at best down the stretch.

One loss is a huge collapse?

No, being in first place for pretty much the entire season (except those Baltimore days back in May) and then not making the playoffs is a huge collapse.

Archived