Tampa Bay Devil Rays Name Change?

Survival79

To get to Pro Player Stadium from SW Miami-Dade on a weekday is atleast a 45 minute drive.

45 minutes? People in Chicago get stuck in traffic for hours for bad Cubs, bad Bears, and (until recently) bad Bulls.

My question is since there is the spring training and so many minor league teams, that the market is just too saturated? I mean, if the game is cheaper somewhere else...?

As for my first note, maybe I need to get out of Chicago!

No, the market isn't saturated. Most of the spring training facilities are in central or the western coast of Florida. The only people that go to those games are die hards.

But I will say (yeah you've probably heard this before) but Miami is the freaking sixth burrough. There are A LOT of transplanted New Yorkers down here.

1997 | 2003

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And speaking of the Wizards...formerly the Bullets...

They started out in Chicago as the Chicago Packers (playing in the old Auditorium at the stockyards). As any Green Bay fan could tell you, naming a Chicago team "Packers" wasn't going to work, so they became the Zephyrs, then packed it in (sorry) and moved to Baltimore.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

Did anyone notice, in that article linked above... from Tampa Bay's owner, in 1995: "Naimoli is also working on a uniform design (he prefers a classic look) and team colors (a combination drawn from the area's sky, water and greenery)."

Classic look? And they came up with the gradient rainbow logo?

A question: what are Tampa Bay's colors now? Green, black, and is it blue or purple as the 3rd color? It's hard to tell. Thanks.

Did anyone notice, in that article linked above... from Tampa Bay's owner, in 1995: "Naimoli is also working on a uniform design (he prefers a classic look) and team colors (a combination drawn from the area's sky, water and greenery)."

Classic look? And they came up with the gradient rainbow logo?

A question: what are Tampa Bay's colors now? Green, black, and is it blue or purple as the 3rd color? It's hard to tell. Thanks.

It is navy blue

I like the Tide

Sounds too Arena League/indoor lacrosse to me. Out of all of the choices you listed, I would go with Typhoons, but I'm not sold on that one either. I haven't really given any thought to alternatives, though, so I don't have any to offer.

By the way, the Orioles logo in your sig is not really that "old school." It has only been around since 2002 according to CC. The real "old school" version is the swinging bird in the old orange circle logo (which I like about 10x as much as the new one).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

By the way, the Orioles logo in your sig is not really that "old school." It has only been around since 2002 according to CC. The real "old school" version is the swinging bird in the old orange circle logo (which I like about 10x as much as the new one).

Same with the Reds guy.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well, the Reds' Running Man is the old logo dressed up in the modern uniform.

I think the "Old School" designation could apply to old logos slightly modernized and brought back to service.

The Orioles have a great page devoted to all the logos since their move from St. Louis. The Reds, unfortunately, don't.

The Orioles have a great page devoted to all the logos since their move from St. Louis.  The Reds, unfortunately, don't.

. . . which leads to my true old school favorite, the Cuckoo Bird/Psycho Bird. In the late '60s/early '70s (slightly before my memory, but I was alive at least), the Orioles used that on billboards all over town talking about mauling the Twins, smashing the Big Red Machine, etc. I've seen many pictures of them, but I don't know if any are available on the web (any help?). Either way, they were very cool.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Classic look?  And they came up with the gradient rainbow logo?

A question: what are Tampa Bay's colors now?  Green, black, and is it blue or purple as the 3rd color?  It's hard to tell.  Thanks.

It is navy blue

No, it's a Royal Blue.

The Rays use Black, the same Green as the A's, and the same Blue as the Rangers...

By the way, the Orioles logo in your sig is not really that "old school."  It has only been around since 2002 according to CC.  The real "old school" version is the swinging bird in the old orange circle logo (which I like about 10x as much as the new one).

Same with the Reds guy.

Same with the Swinging Friar.

No, that's from his own work.

By the way, the Orioles logo in your sig is not really that "old school."  It has only been around since 2002 according to CC.  The real "old school" version is the swinging bird in the old orange circle logo (which I like about 10x as much as the new one).

Same with the Reds guy.

That was the point of those three graphics in their original context - old logos brought back with a modern twist. It's part of a site advocating that the Brewers do the same with the Beer Battel Man.

Same with the Reds guy.

That was the point of those three graphics in their original context - old logos brought back with a modern twist. It's part of a site advocating that the Brewers do the same with the Beer Battel Man.

If that's the case, let me cast my vote for the Orioles to get rid of the "modern twist" and just go back to the original swinging bird logo. I can't put my finger on it, but there is just something about the new version that I don't like. Maybe it's that it doesn't have the exaggerated front leg kick (I always wondered if that was a subtle Frank Robinson tribute given the timing of the logo's debut -- 1966 per the O's website). I don't know what it is. Either way, I like the original much better.

P.S. ImpulZe has gone and changed his sig so no one can see what we're talking about anymore (and I can't check out the site).

I've seen that. I was talking about the site linked to/in ImpulZe's sig. Sorry for any confusion.

Same with the Reds guy.

I have a name ^_^

Archived