Tampa Bay Devil Rays Name Change?

Survival79

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've seen that. I was talking about the site linked to/in ImpulZe's sig. Sorry for any confusion.

I know - the Beer Barrel Man site was the site that his graphics originally came from. He borrowed them for use in his sig.

The context was that they were old logos that had been updated by the clubs. So they're not the original Running Man or Oriole, but modern updates.

I've seen that. I was talking about the site linked to/in ImpulZe's sig. Sorry for any confusion.

I know - the Beer Barrel Man site was the site that his graphics originally came from. He borrowed them for use in his sig.

The context was that they were old logos that had been updated by the clubs. So they're not the original Running Man or Oriole, but modern updates.

Aaaahhh!!! Thanks. It has been a while since I read the entire text on the Beer Barrel Man site.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I'm decidedly in the minority on this subject, but I was a fan of the Devil Rays' original logo. In fact, it was one of the few uses of gradients that I actually thought made sense, as it represented the decreasing amount of light that filters down through ocean waters. Further, I'm looking at an old Devil Rays cap that I own and I really think that the embroidered gradient is one of the few that I've ever seen rendered anywhere near attractively on a garment.

I'll admit that the use of the gradients within the "Devil Rays" and "Tampa Bay" wordmarks on the team's early uniforms may have been a bit too much. They probably should have erred on the side of eliminating the brightest Yellow and Green sections and just gone with a deep Purple through shades of Blue and darker Greens on the jersey wordmarks.

Frankly, I see absolutely no reason to dump the team's identity package. I say embrace the full Tampa Bay Devil Rays name (i.e Devil Rays on the home uniforms and Tampa Bay on the road uniforms... and the swimming Ray on both). Further, if the gradients are gone for good, then the oval containment shape behind the Ray should be a unique shade of Blue. Perhaps something similar to Seahawk Blue. Then adopt a palette of Black, the new Blue, Silver-Grey and White.

One thing is certain: if they're not going with the gradient, dump the Green in the color scheme. It is horrible.

How about the St. Petersburg Sails.

I have no idea why a team that actually plays in St Petersburg puts Tampa in their name.

Because of the city's proximity to Tampa Bay, perhaps?

Right, it's a twin cities + metropolitan area dilemma. Though if you guys are calling for the Anaheim Angels, St. Petersburg should be in the name, seeing as they built the Trop, not Tampa.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

How about the St. Petersburg Sails.

I have no idea why a team that actually plays in St Petersburg puts Tampa in their name.

Because of the city's proximity to Tampa Bay, perhaps?

Right, it's a twin cities + metropolitan area dilemma. Though if you guys are calling for the Anaheim Angels, St. Petersburg should be in the name, seeing as they built the Trop, not Tampa.

For the umpteenth time, people... :mad:

Unlike Green Bay, Wisconsin - which is the actual name of a town - Tampa Bay is a body of water. Nobody (Bucs, Lightning, Rays) actually plays in Tampa Bay. But the designation "Tampa Bay" also applies to the region around the aforementioned body of water, which includes both the cities of Tampa and St. Petersburg, as well as smaller towns like Clearwater. So to refer to a team as the "Tampa Bay Devil Rays" is appropriate and gives due credit to St. Petersburg, as St. Pete is part of the region popularly known as "Tampa Bay". It's like the New England Patriots and Carolina Panthers - teams that have regional place names - but in this case, the region is much smaller and is contained within one state.

As long as teams in this region of Florida use the nickname for the region, the debate on including St. Petersburg is a waste of time, as St. Pete is part of the region used in the team's name. If you want to argue why the region is named Tampa Bay, blame the people who named the body of water. But we've had this discussion ad nasueum, and enough is enough.

Gracias.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I'm gonna explain Tampa Bay's region/color scheme. B) Here it goes:

TAMPA BAY-a region made up by a body of water consisting of a metropolis includes

Tampa/St.Petersburg and smaller towns as such which is on the cusp of

the Gulf of Mexico.

The reason St. Pete has a baseball venue b-cuz Tampa might NOT have enough

room for a football stadium + a multi-purpose arena( hockey,Arena Football,et.c)

I know St.Pete AIN'T NEVER gonna be South Beach,but it has something to offer:

81 home dates,as is like the NFL w/8,the NHL w/41 with the possibility of playoff

games as well.Tampa might NOT be able to handle 81 home dates b-cuz of the

general populus and traffic to-and-from the ball games.

Now to the 1st color scheme of the Devil Rays.

BLACK represents the fish with white and blue marks+hat,sleeves,cleats color.

YELLOW is the color of the sun and its rays.

GREEN is used for the tropical land surrounding the body of water.

LIGHT BLUE is the color of the sky that 's used for the background.

ROYAL BLUE is used for the water that the region is named for.

PURPLE is probably used as a back up color/border to balance the colors.

Here's my intrepritation of Tampa Bay's color scheme in general.

JET BLACK-the fish,hat,sleeves,outlines and sneaker cleats.

SUNNY YELLOW-the sun and rays.

ISLAND GREEN-the tropical land mass surrounding the region.

SKY BLUE-the backdropand view.

OCEAN BLUE-the body of water where the RAYS dwell below.

DEEP PURPLE-the border that balance out the colors maybe.... <_<

I'm fine with either set of home/away/alt. sets-KEEP the name sake AT ALL costs!!!!

Thanks for your time.The End. Love,BatFan1400 :D

majorleaguebaseball3fi.gif

nflfan8bf.jpg

319rg.jpg

dccomics5vs.png

antimtv.png

Should've added a grey to represent the smoke on the water :woot:

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

:lol: Good one!

I actually really like how the D-Rays look right now. I really like that they're just green, black, and white. Although I don't get the "Devil" part of the team name, don't they just have "Rays" on their jerseys now?

What would they add to represent the fire in the sky?

Rowdies baby!!!! :D

OMG Yes!! I thought I was the ONLY person that remembers them. Yes, they were a soccer team in the 70s and 80s, and yes they folded, but hey, there is precedence for using defunct team names.

MLS Chicago Fire, MLB Florida(Miami) Marlins, MLB Colorado Rockies, NBA Charlotte Hornets...all were teams before....

So let's bring back the Rowdies...because they are a kick in the grass(Field Turf)!!

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Because name me one other MLB city where there is one team that broadcasts their games in another teams market? (Excluding New York, Chicago, Los Angeles and the S.F. Bay area.) That is outrageous. That just pisses me off, plus the Yankees have that stupid woman on their radio broadcasts. Just another reason to hate the Yankees. :cursing:

The Braves broadcast about half of their games on TBS, and you can watch that channel anywhere in North America.

WGN and TBS should be allowed to broadcast more games nationally. Like, 150. Comcast Chicago blows ass, and FSN Atlanta probably does too. They're the Cubs and Braves. Let 'em.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived