GBL's Reno Silver Sox...

Brian in Boston

The Golden Baseball League has announced the launch of a Reno, Nevada-based expansion team in time for the 2006 season.

The Reno Silver Sox will play their home games at 3,000-seat Peccole Park on the campus of the University of Nevada. The GBL has reportedly signed a 10-year agreement with the university for use of the field. Additionally, the GBL will finance the installation of field lighting at Peccole Park, while also partnering with the university on the installation and maintenance of a Field Turf playing surface at the facility.

While I think that their mascot is sub-standard, I think that the team name and logo package are outstanding.

Logo Package

Slide3.gifSlide4.gifSlide1.gif

Slide5.gifSlide2.gif

Mascot

Gecko_RGBsmall.gif

The "Silver Sox" wordmark is hot. The "Reno" added to it looks silly.

And that sock... um... er.... I want to say it's bad... but I can't stop laughing at it. It's really too cute to hate.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

So is this a Bosack or Simon design? Are they still working together on the GBL?

And the sock's 'stache looks like the Mudville Nine guy, albeit, as a sock.

I have to assume that both Bosack and Simon are still going to be working on various identity packages for the Golden Baseball League. I haven't heard anything to the contrary... and it would seem that the league has every reason to be happy with the work the two firms have done so far.

As for the Reno Silver Sox package, I'm seeing more of a Dan Simon influence in this one. If you look closely at the way the eyes, nose and mouth are rendered on the sock's face, you'll notice similarities in style to the work that Dan did on the Modesto Nuts' logo package. Additionally, it's funny you should mention similarities between the moustaches in the Silver Sox logo and in the Mudville Nine mark, as Dan was responsible for designing the Mudville package.

Hey Brian in Boston...

IMO, you hit the nail right on the head. You either have a great eye, or Simon told you about this personally. If so, how do you know him, and what can you tell us about him? Do you know Bosack, too?

I think the similarity you might be seeing between the mustache in this logo and the one for the Mudville Nine is not stylistic, but rather a matter of the fact that the Silver Sox character was apparently intended to hark back to the early days of baseball, just like the Mighty Casey character, and a handlebar mustache would therefore be a given.

Hey Brian in Boston...

IMO, you hit the nail right on the head. You either have a great eye, or Simon told you about this personally. If so, how do you know him, and what can you tell us about him? Do you know Bosack, too?

I can't speak to whether BiB knows Dan Simon personally......but several of us "know" Joe Bosack. He's a member here and adds his expertise now and again.

Keep you eyes peeled and you may just e-run into him.

And regarding the logo package.....nice. very.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

The "Silver Sox" wordmark is hot.  The "Reno" added to it looks silly.

And that sock... um... er.... I want to say it's bad... but I can't stop laughing at it.  It's really too cute to hate.

Admit it, you're turned by it's moustache ...... ;)

ah yes, the Mudville Nine and Mighty Casey. love the logo...shoot, the bigs need a guy with a handlebar mustache

They did have Rollie Fingers....

It's a great look for a minor-league team. I think other league can take some notes from the GBL for their team's identities

I saw, I came, I left.

I like the whole package except for the "SS" mark. The "SS" works when Silver Sox is spelled out in the main logo, but for some reason it just looks odd by itself. It might be due to its stylized nature, I can't quite put my finger on it.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived