Chicago Bears shoulder pinstripes?

sc49erfan15

Pardon me if this has already been covered, but...

I'm watching the Bears-Panthers game, and some of the Bears players seem to have horizontal white pinstripes on their shoulders. It seems to be only offensive or defensive linemen that have the stripes. After searching on the Bears' website, there were a few pictures, but these are the most clear. I know they're both of Ogunleye, but he's not the only one with them...

ogunleye_bengals_1.jpg

ogunleye_bengals_2.jpg

Anybody know what they are, why they're there, and how long they've had them?

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I've actually seen this on a number of teams. I think it's added stitching to prevent more tear? But not a part of the uniform.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I've noticed that before. It seems to be only on the linemen's jerseys, I can't recall ever seeing it on a linebacker or running back. Those would be others I could see having them if it was for extra tear protection.

Truthfully, I have no idea.

It's super-tightened jerseys with the stretching material made visible because it's stretched as tight as it can get.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

apparently the orange alts some of the players were wearing were too tight... I saw Urlacher on TV complaining that he had a red mark on his arm for 3 days because the sleeves were so small, might also explain overtaught shoulders. Either that or its from the pads beneath.

Look at that picture of Tommie Harris, neither photo shows that the jersey is really tight around the shoulder area. I think its stitched in instead of being over stretched. Also, shoulder pads to my knowledge are smooth plastic. No ridges on the shells.

I emailed the "Chalk Talk" section at the Bears webpage. We'll see if we get a response.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bump this up but I found an excellent photo from 1996 of former Bucs/Chiefs/Seahawks WR Robb Thomas with this Umbro diamond pattern on his jersey cowl.This pic is from the 1996 season,taken when they played @ Arizona.

293521.jpg

98Falcons.png

Uniwatch mentioned this a couple of months ago.

"There's no secret technology involved," says Lauren Antonellis, who works in product development for Reebok, the NFL's uni manufacturer. "The Bears' equipment manger sends out a few of the jerseys for custom alterations. The stripes you're seeing are actually stitch lines -- they're darts that have been sewn in to eliminate any excess 'grab' fabric."

Uniwatch

Sorry to bump this up but I found an excellent photo from 1996 of former Bucs/Chiefs/Seahawks WR Robb Thomas with this Umbro diamond pattern on his jersey cowl.This pic is from the 1996 season,taken when they played @ Arizona.

293521.jpg

Nevermind the pattern--to think players actually had sleeves a decade ago...WHO KNEW?!?!

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Archived