Cleveland Browns looking at throwbacks for 06

02Rover

I for one have NO problem with the grey mask color. It's better than some of the supposed "matching" masks that have made appearances over the last few years. Gray masks are unobtrusive and really call no attention to themselves as opposed to teams that have bright white masks on dark helmets or worse yet, accent colors.

Have to disagree they draw attention to themselves a lot more than a facemask that is the same color as the helmet. If the mask and the helmet are the same color the mask "becomes part of the helmet" as oppose to being something that is attached to helmet. Plus a gray mask is just unimagitive. At least accent colors so a little thought . I agree with the quote about when will the tan pants come back in style.

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is what ive hoped for all along. the grey mask looks much better with that set. the cheifs should look into it as well. enough with the grey hate already. its a peice of equipment on the uniform. do shoes have to be team oriented? how about those garrish white chinstraps? oh, and the shoulder pads...when a players shoulder pad pops out of his jersey after a tackle, i always get so fired up when it doesnt match with the set!!!

this is what ive hoped for all along. the grey mask looks much better with that set. the cheifs should look into it as well. enough with the grey hate already. its a peice of equipment on the uniform. do shoes have to be team oriented? how about those garrish white chinstraps? oh, and the shoulder pads...when a players shoulder pad pops out of his jersey after a tackle, i always get so fired up when it doesnt match with the set!!!

The facemask is part of the helmet, and the helmet is part of the uniform, much like a baseball cap.

Are you saying that since it's just equipment, all teams should just wear plain white helmets with grey facemasks? It would certainly save us from all this debate.

Oh, and do shoes have to be team oriented? Why yes, yes they do. In fact, the NFL mandates that a team picks its shoe color before the season gets underway, to ensure a standardized look.

Here's your unstriped tan pants. Enjoy the traditionalism. Now tell me about the days when gas was a quarter and the Charleston was all the rage.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Saw the show tonight and I loved the new unis. Looks like they are going back to a much darker shade of brown and the grey facemasks. Now if they add in some black shoes we're in business. Thank God Randy Lerner didn't go Atlanta or Arizona on us. I am loving seeing all the "modern" fans get in a tizzy over this. HA! Old School all the way baby! :D

BB52Big.jpg

Here's your unstriped tan pants. Enjoy the traditionalism. Now tell me about the days when gas was a quarter and the Charleston was all the rage.

HA! :lol:

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

please look for my concept with tan pants soon. its a great idea. why does a facemask immediately set off so much rage? grey is a rather neutral color, if it can even be called a color. If everyone "got with it", every team would look like the falcons. i understand some don't like traditional, bland looks, and i respect those arguments. think context, not just color coordination. like it or not, the charleston is the rage in the nfl right now

Here's your unstriped tan pants.  Enjoy the traditionalism.  Now tell me about the days when gas was a quarter and the Charleston was all the rage.

please look for my concept with tan pants soon. its a great idea. why does a facemask immediately set off so much rage? grey is a rather neutral color, if it can even be called a color. If everyone "got with it", every team would look like the falcons. i understand some don't like traditional, bland looks, and i respect those arguments. think context, not just color coordination. like it or not, the charleston is the rage in the nfl right now

the pakers, vikings, and bears all seem to have traditional looks AND coloured facemasks. just because a team decides to have a traditional look dosn't mean they have to have a grey mask.

Before this recent retro faze, teams without silver or grey in their scheme NEVER had grey facemasks because they thought it looked good. They had 'em because they had to. It still doesn't look good, but now they don't have to. To do something ugly now just because things used to have to be ugly is stupid.

One more time: tradition should only strengthen good things, not keep around bad things.

please look for my concept with tan pants soon. its a great idea.

That's great. Can't wait to see the leather strips you're going to be sewing into the front of those wool jerseys to ensure better grip.

Now, I'm not advocating the Falconization or the Bronco-ing of the league. But I see no need to get all crazy-go-nuts on the retro, either. Throwing a grey facemask on the Browns' unis simply because they used to have them at a time when coloring facemasks wasn't technologically possible makes as much sense as, say, the Colts doing it. Oh, wait.

To put it simply: is changing the facemask to a color not in the scheme of the Cleveland Browns going to improve the appearance of their uniforms?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

To put it simply: is changing the facemask to a color not in the scheme of the Cleveland Browns going to improve the appearance of their uniforms?

Yes. But not because the current unis are no good. It's just cool to see them go for the throwback look. In what other direction can they go and remain true to what they are which is a tradition laden team?

Here's the truth of the matter. The Browns aren't going to please most people on this board unless they add oblong stripes, 5 different jersey and pants combos, change the number font to something out of Rollerball, and put some sort of logo on the helmet that looks like it came from a PS2 game designer's nightmare. In short unless they can find a way to be Atlanta in Orange and Brown or all orange or all brown most of the people in this forum won't like it. They aren't going to please anyone but those of us who "want to tell stories about when gas was 25 cents a gallon" so there's really no point in even debating the issue. They are not going to go "modern" so there's no real reason to even discuss the changes. It's a moot point.

BB52Big.jpg

[ They aren't going to please anyone but those of us who "want to tell stories about when gas was 25 cents a gallon" so there's really no point in even debating the issue. They are not going to go "modern" so there's no real reason to even discuss the changes. It's a moot point.

amen

Yes. But not because the current unis are no good. It's just cool to see them go for the throwback look. In what other direction can they go and remain true to what they are which is a tradition laden team?

Here's the truth of the matter. The Browns aren't going to please most people on this board unless they add oblong stripes, 5 different jersey and pants combos, change the number font to something out of Rollerball, and put some sort of logo on the helmet that looks like it came from a PS2 game designer's nightmare. In short unless they can find a way to be Atlanta in Orange and Brown or all orange or all brown most of the people in this forum won't like it. They aren't going to please anyone but those of us who "want to tell stories about when gas was 25 cents a gallon" so there's really no point in even debating the issue. They are not going to go "modern" so there's no real reason to even discuss the changes. It's a moot point.

I don't think that's true at all. This board originaly had a very traditional, though still innovative feel. Now, it's real split. Trust me.

I, myself, am in the middle.

Also, you can trust me that an overwhelming percentage of people on this board would be thouroughly ticked to see the browns ever wear something like the Falcons (not that that means most of the board dislikes the Falcons unis).

Honstley, the Browns could please most people by simply standing pat.

I, myself, am in the middle.

Also, you can trust me that an overwhelming percentage of people on this board would be thouroughly ticked to see the browns ever wear something like the Falcons (not that that means most of the board dislikes the Falcons unis).

Honstley, the Browns could please most people by simply standing pat.

Fair enough. :D

BB52Big.jpg

For teams with a traditional look (Vikes, Giants, Packers, etc.), a grey facemask fits. That doesn't mean you HAVE to use it, just that it wouldn't be totally out of place.

But I agree that the Cardinals should have finished the job and changed the facemask to red.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

Archived