Cleveland Browns looking at throwbacks for 06

02Rover

I for one have NO problem with the grey mask color. It's better than some of the supposed "matching" masks that have made appearances over the last few years. Gray masks are unobtrusive and really call no attention to themselves as opposed to teams that have bright white masks on dark helmets or worse yet, accent colors.

Totally agree.

I heard someone suggest Ohio State go to black or red face masks. Can you imagine anything stupider???

Gray face masks are cool, IMO. ESPECIALLY if its a historic team that had glory days in them.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ohio State has gray/silver helmets so the gray masks work fine for them. I would like to see a brown mask on the Browns. Also how are the Browns a historic team anymore they were started in 1999.

(I know that might be below the belt)

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

Not sure if this is going to be a full time change or a once or twice a year change, but the Browns owner Randy Lerner was looking at different throwbacks on NFL Network last night.

99% of Browns fans would prefer a change to something like this to a change to the garish, horrid orange jerseys of years past.

Current look:

170043163800.jpg

The changes are very close to the classic Jimmy Brown-era unis:

jimbrown03.jpg

Changes Lerner was looknig at:

jersey_prototype.jpg

helmet_prototype.jpg

they they should and I hope they will go back to the old jerseys.

I happen to like what they have now with the thick sleeve stripes and white facemask. I don't like the grey, and I don't like the small sleeve stripes on the old jerseys.

dennis_northcutt.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Of course, the totally undeserved "AL" would be removed as well.

We can only hope.

Silliest uniform honor in all of pro sports, hands down.

You guys need to lay off "AL" and Randy Lerner.

His father did do Cleveland a service by bringing the team back. Yes, he helped the orig franchise move, but he explained his mind set and reasonings and felt he had to do what he could to right the wrong. He did that.

Randy was close with his father and his father was intregal to the rebirth of this franchise.

The way you guys rail against the silly little uniform tribute is ridiculous. Its Randy's team, his unis, let him do what he wants with them. Browns fans dont care and can live with it, why do all the non-Browns fans care so much??

The Browns current uniforms are depressing and drab. Adding a gray facemask, and a throwback (isn't their current uniform "throwback enough, already?) uniform will only make this team more stale to watch.

The Browns actually looked decent and fresh when they brought back the orange pants. Too bad they seem to be gone again with Romeo in charge. I guess they were too "flashy". :rolleyes:

His father did do Cleveland a service by bringing the team back.  Yes, he helped the orig franchise move, but he explained his mind set and reasonings and felt he had to do what he could to right the wrong.  He did that.

So what? Why should he be given a tribute that until now has been granted only to George Halas?

Randy was close with his father and his father was intregal to the rebirth of this franchise.

While I think it's cute that the son wants to honor his father, his father was hardly "intregal to the rebirth of this franchise". Sure, he put his money into a guaranteed secure investment. Big risk there, investing in a team in a proven market - he was guaranteed to make a profit.

The way you guys rail against the silly little uniform tribute is ridiculous.  Its Randy's team, his unis, let him do what he wants with them.

Of course he can, but that doesn't mean that we can't call it as we see it. Nobody's above criticism on these boards.

I'm not suggesting that AL was some kind of bad guy - only that the permanent uniform tribute is wildly out of proportion to what the guy actually did. It's so excessive that it's silly.

His father did do Cleveland a service by bringing the team back.  Yes, he helped the orig franchise move, but he explained his mind set and reasonings and felt he had to do what he could to right the wrong.  He did that.

So what? Why should he be given a tribute that until now has been granted only to George Halas?

are you saying that no one can ever again recieve a uniform tribute like halas was granted in chicago? sorry, halas was a geat owner and all, but that dosn't mean he's the only one allowed a uniform tribute.

We can only hope.

His father did do Cleveland a service by bringing the team back. Yes, he helped the orig franchise move, but he explained his mind set and reasonings and felt he had to do what he could to right the wrong. He did that.

The way you guys rail against the silly little uniform tribute is ridiculous. Its Randy's team, his unis, let him do what he wants with them. Browns fans dont care and can live with it, why do all the non-Browns fans care so much??

So 02 if Randy put a dawg on the helmet or perhaps AL on the helmet you would be cool with that? After all it is HIS team right

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

So what?  Why should he be given a tribute that until now has been granted only to George Halas?

are you saying that no one can ever again recieve a uniform tribute like halas was granted in chicago? sorry, halas was a geat owner and all, but that dosn't mean he's the only one allowed a uniform tribute.

I think you're misreading his point.

There are certainly other people equally deserving of the kind of permanent tribute the Bears have given Halas. One recent example would be Wellington Mara, the late Giants' owner.

Mara was around the team for all 85 years of their existence. He saw every game the team ever played. Moreover, at the league level, Mara served to shape the way the game is played on the field over those 80 years. But even greater than that, Mara's vision led to the idea of revenue sharing which has made the NFL as successful as it is today. He willingly gave up the built-in advantage of owning a team in the largest city in the country (and largest media market) to share the wealth with the other teams, so that they, and the league could prosper. Because of his progressive thinking, a city of 90,000 people like Green Bay can have a team and be as economically viable as teams in cities like New York, which is almost 100 times larger.

For contrast, look at George Steinbrenner and baseball's model. Steinbrenner pays his luxury tax because the league tells him to, not out of any sense of obligation. Do you think teams in smaller markets (Kansas City, Pittsburgh) are not at a competitive disadvantage in baseball because of the uneven economics of the teams?

People like Mara and Halas built the NFL and shaped it as it grew to become the institution it is today. What did Al Lerner do that puts him on the same level as Halas and Mara? He facilitated the Browns' departure from a loyal fan base and city, and bought an expansion team in its place.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

We can only hope.

So 02 if Randy put a dawg on the helmet or perhaps AL on the helmet you would be cool with that? After all it is HIS team right

He wouldnt do it. He is a Browns fan and has been his whole life. He knows what fans will stand for. We respect him as a Browns fan and have confidence that he will take care of our precious heritage.

Excuse us Browns fans for laughing at Milwaukee fans that think what we put on our uniforms is silly.... **LOL****

If the Browns really wanted to go retro, I would put numbers on the side of the helmet. For all of you Browns historians, from 1957 to 1961 the Browns had brown numbers on the sides of their helmet

That would be real cool. Especially if the Chargers switch back to their old white helmets with numbers too, that might start a trend. I like what Syracuse has done with their unis. It just looks classic. I think that the Browns could pull it off as well.

From all the talk on other boards I believe this will be a full time change. If you think about if it was just for two weeks(throwback alt.) it would be an awful lot of money to spend on a uni that is'nt much different. gray facemask4life.

good point, but its been done...

Just ask the Colts.

Archived