Vikings considering open-air stadium

gosioux76

The Vikings are apparently considering dropping their request for state money for a roof for a new stadium in Anoka County. They believe it would hurt their chances for state approval, since they likely will be competing with the Twins whose proposal requires no state money.

But what's interesting is that new principal owner Zygi Wilf prefers an open-air stadium, a rarity in this day and age.

From the StarTribune:

A roof -- fixed or retractable -- has long been considered a way to enhance the value of a new NFL stadium. Wilf, however, believes an open-air stadium would draw the franchise closer to its historic roots and also provide a long-term competitive advantage

Looks like it could be back to the day of freezing fans -- the way it should be.

He knows that a retractable roof is more expensive and it is hard enough to get public money in Minnesota.

That said, I love the idea. Then we would need not fear a December game in Chicago or Green Bay.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Metrodome is a fine place to watch football. But there always has been a charm about the Vikings playing outdoors -- especially no heaters on the sidelines, as in the Bud Grant era. This Viking fan believes it did make the team tougher and, thus, better. I'm all for an open-air stadium.

But the Twins need a stadium first.

I'm far from a Vikings fan, but have always felt that cold-weather teams that play in domes at home are losing an incredible advantage. Had Cincinnati played indoors, I think the Chargers would have pasted them in that frigid AFC Championship in January 1982. That, and the tie to the past, is a great argument for an open-air stadium. Compliments to the new owner, sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

But the Twins need a stadium first.

I'm not a Minnesota resident, nor have a I ever been there, but I'm thinking the Vikings come before the Twins in that area. Maybe I'm wrong though.

i don't think winghaz is referring to public popularity. He's referring to comparible need.

The Twins, logic would dictate, would have the most to benefit from having a new stadium sooner rather than later. Without getting into the economics of the debate, just watch a baseball game there compared to an outdoor park elsewhere.

The Dome was made for the Vikings. It's suited for the kind of atmosphere expected at an NFL game.

From a fan's perspective, I'd agree that the Twins need one first -- if we have to choose.

An open air stadium for the Vikings would be interesting and would get rid of some of the home field advantage that the Bears and Packers have. For a cross promotion, this opens the doors for a Minnesota Heritage Classic with the Wild or Gophers playing outdoors. Minnesotans would go crazy over that!

stoneraizersig.jpg

The Frozen tundra of Lambeau Field has an aura and is feared by opponents everywhere. Look at some of the great games in NFL history, the Ice Bowl, the Tuck Rule game, both were played in the snow and created a great venue. Minnesota playing indoors looses the ability to have a strong homefield advantage, not only do you have fans on your side, but you have to deal with our weather. It can intimidate opponents, giving the team an upper hand before the kickoff. But I digress. Lambeau has this intimidation, and it was lost by the most talented player in the league, Mike Vick. Vick couldn't pass the ball, so he had to run, and that is how the Falcons won that game. Point is, Minneapolis is farther north than Green Bay, what's to say that this new open air arena can't become the next Lambeau-like intimidating statium. You get all those pretty boy players to go play in sleet in Minnesota, in January, and that is great Football.

The Vikings had an open-air stadium before. It was called Metropolitan Stadium in Bloomington, Minnesota. The Mall of America now sits where the Met once stood.

in pig latin:

Ethay Ikingsvay adhay anway openway-airway adiumstay eforebay.

Itway asway alledcay Etropolitanmay Adiumstay inway

Oomingtonblay, Innesotamay. Ethay Allmay ofway Americaway ownay

itssay erewhay ethay Etmay onceway oodstay.

YOZXkBG.png?1

Minneapolis isn't much further north than Green Bay, plus Green bay is close to Lake Michigan which, from experience, makes it much much colder than inland.

Hense why its so bad at Soldier Field.

This is besides the point. Minnesota in the outdoors would be great and I certainly hope it gets done.

They should also have no heating apparatus, like Bud Grant used to do. :)

Teams FEARED Minnesota...

I think an open-air stadium is a step in the right direction.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

this would be really really sweet i must say as i have season tickets for the vikings section 200 row one seats 17-18 best seats in the stadium the only drawback is those -13 december and january days/nights for the fans but a huuuge advantage for the vikes i say all for it

and up here i feel the vikings are more fan favorites here than the twins people are starting to get upset with the twins because of our owner who is 90 and is worth 1.5billion and wont spend a dime more on the team it puzzles us all here

Minneapolis isn't much further north than Green Bay, plus Green bay is close to Lake Michigan which, from experience, makes it much much colder than inland.

Actually, the opposite happens. Temps are more moderate with water. Cooler in summer, warmer in winter.

However, due to winter weather patterns, Minneapolis tends to get slammed with blizzard conditions more often.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Actually, the opposite happens. Temps are more moderate with water. Cooler in summer, warmer in winter.

However, due to winter weather patterns, Minneapolis tends to get slammed with blizzard conditions more often.

I lived on (I could throw a rock into the lake from my dorm) Lake Michigan for 4 years.

It was always felt colder in the winter by the lake than inland. It was mostly cause of the wind of course. I should have specified "felt" colder.

Anyway, I wouldn't want to be the Lions if all 3 division teams were outdoors. Chicago to a lesser extent, but you've got the crazy wind there.

Archived