Favorite Sports Moment of 2005

pcgd

All the talk shows and such are doing this. What was your personal favorite sports moments of 2005. Homerism is fine, if not encouraged because these are your personal ones.

1. Illinois vs. Arizona; Elite 8

One of the biggest comebacks in College Basketball History, definatly the best in Illinois' 100 years of basketball. I nearly turned off the TV when Illinois was down by 15 with 4 mins left. Over the next 4 mins, the Illini Big 3 scored 20 points to tie the game. In the span of 50 seconds, they Illini scored 12 points. It was an amazing comeback and something I'll never forget. Combined with the 20 point comeback by Louisville and the amazing Michigan State/Kentucky game, it was one of the best 2 days in tournament history.

2. St. Louis vs. Houston; Game 5

Down 3 games to 1, the Cardinals had to win this game to bring the series back to Busch Stadium for a final time. In the top of the 9th, against one of the best relievers in the game, the Cardinals are down 2 runs. Brad Lidge gets 2 quick outs and the Cardinals season is slipping. With 2 strikes, David Eckstein gets on base with a basehit. Jim Edmonds gets a walk. Then with 1 strike, Albert Pujols hits one of the most dramatic home runs in post season history. Over the train tracks, and it seemed like it never would land. The crowd that was once buzzing louder than they ever had, was absolutly silent. And it happened in an instant. It was only the second time in postseason history that a team facing elimination and trailing in the ninth inning hit a go-ahead home run. This will always overshaddow the fact that the Cardinals lost the next game to me. I was begging my friend to turn off the TV once the final out was recorded so I didn't have to watch the celebration.

3. Bears vs. Falcons

Believe it or not, my moment for the Bears was to start the second half of the Atlanta game. The bears were all but secured of going to the playoffs, surpassing even the most die hard fans of the bears preseason hopes. The moment that Mike Patrick said going into the commerical "And when we come back, Rex Grossman," to me that was the biggest moment for the Bears. Rex Grossman is no Peyton Manning. He's no Tom Brady. Heck, he's no Mark Brunell. But for this team, he could be the difference maker in the Bears winning a playoff game or getting to the Super Bowl. When he hit Moose over the middle for a 22 yard gain (which nearly doubled Orton's first half output) it excited an already energized bears team and fans. It was a great moment for all Bears fans and gave us even more hope moving into the post-season.

So what about you guys? Don't restrict it to 3, or 5. Whatever you want.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Raiders at Chiefs

-On the final drive, Green throws underneath to Johnson who springs forward all the way to the one yard line. With seconds left, Vermeil decided to go for the touchdown and the win, Larry Johnson goes over the top and gets it. I attended this game so it was especially exciting.

2. Bengals clinching the division

-I always used to write "Go Bengals" everywhere on my school stuff back when they were 2-14, my friend and I sort of did it as a joke saying we were always cheering for the Bengals, but they would never end up anywhere. Now I'm proud of them and the pride they brought to that city, it's a great feeling, isn't it Cinci?

That's it so far.

A couple things that top my list in the Tampa Bay region:

- Vince Namoli stepping down as Rays owner

- Buccaneers turnaround season

- USF reaching their first ever bowl game

- Lightning returning to the ice after winning the Stanley Cup

1. Raiders at Chiefs

-On the final drive, Green throws underneath to Johnson who springs forward all the way to the one yard line. With seconds left, Vermeil decided to go for the touchdown and the win, Larry Johnson goes over the top and gets it. I attended this game so it was especially exciting.

that was good, also...

michagan state vs. gonzaga in the EA Sports Maui invintational

tiger woods finally winning again.....

I just wanna do hoodrat things with my friends.

Being from New England, my favorite moment was the ending of Super Bowl XXXIX, when my Patriots won their 3rd championship in 4 years. I also loved opening day at Fenway...a celebration of a caliber I've never seen before.

In terms of entertaining games...Game 4 of the ALDS between Houston and Atlanta was right up there, as well as the USC/Notre Dame game...that was one of the best NCAA football games I've ever seen.

Bettman announcing that the owners and players have reached an agreement, and that the NHL will be back in the 05-06 season.

more to come when I think of them.....

My favorite too!

The Illinois/Arizona game is was the best GAME of the year.

staffordsigbuffda6.jpg

Owner of

Kalamazoo Tech Kobras (Nat'l College Fant. Assc. Basketball, Football, and Hockey)

2006-07 NCFAB National Champions

2006 NCFAF Midwest Conf. Champions

Rochester Patriots (Major League Hockey - AHL Fantasy League) 2005-06 Neilson Cup Champs

Detroit Black Panthers (Xtreme Hockey League) 2005-06 Yzerman Conference Champs

Sheldon Motorsports (TRAC) - #20 Guinness Chevy & #21 UPS Chevy #44 Syracuse University Chevy

Commissioner of

MLH (Major League Hockey, an AHL Fantasy League)

TRAC (Team Racing Auto Circuit, NASCAR)

Game 4 of the NLDS between the Astros and the Braves.

I have never seen a more dramatic, a more edge of your seat, a more fun game in recent memory. It had everything: Dramatic home runs, close plays, one of the greatest pitchers of all time coming out of the bullpen and of course, the walk-off. That is a game I will remember as long as I live. The only thing that would have possibly been more great then that game would have been to be there during that game.

O, yeah, USC-Irish was fun too.

Insert Witty Signature Here.

10/22/05: Mizzou 41, Nebraska 24 - Brad Smith rushes for 3 TD's including a 65 yard scamper on a shotgun draw and the Tigers put away the Huskers for the second straight time at home. After spending 26 years watching my boys get fleeced by the folks from Lincoln, seeing the Tigers triumph over the Big Red never gets old.

I can't specify moments, but I can name my favorite sports events of 2005:

1. Super Bowl XXXIX, Patriots beat Eagles

2. USC vs. Notre Dame NCAA football

3. Indianapolis 500, Danica Patrick's near-win.

4. Red Sox home opener/World Series ring ceremony

5. UNC vs. Illinois, NCAA basketball championship

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

More events than moments...

1. Ohio State 25 Michigan 21. That's 4 out of 5. Fiesta Bowl Bound!

2. The Indians great run in the final three weeks of the season. Ran outta gas a little too soon.

3. Game 5 NLCS. Albert Pujols taking Lidge way, way, deep. Has that ball landed yet?

4. Game 3 ALDS. White Sox 5 Red Sox 3. So long Red Sox Nation. See ya in another 86 years.

5. The complete game run by the White Sox starters in the playoffs. Talk about old school.

6. USC vs. Notre Dame

7. Jeff Gordon winning Daytona.

8. The Browns win over the Bears. Seems a lot bigger now than it did when it happened.

9. Raiders at Chiefs. Classic.

10. And many many more.

BB52Big.jpg

1. World Series Ring Ceremony. Especially having it done in front of the Yankees, who were -- and I won't say this very often -- very classy about it.

2. Broncos win division, clinch first round bye, and embarass the Raiders -- all in the same day.

3. Game 4, Astros/Cardinals. I was cheering for the Cardinals... but that was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen -- and here's the strange part... I saw it coming. I'd put that up there with some of Ortiz's moments in the 2004 ALCS and that says a lot froma Red Sox fan.

IUe6Hvh.png

1.) Penn St. 17 - Ohio St. 10. Awesome game, awesome atmosphere. When Tamba Hali turned Troy Smith's world literally upside down I knew Penn St. football was back in a big way.

2.) Villanova b-ball being back on the map, continuing the Big 5 tradition after St. Joe's run in 03-04.

3.) Eagles finally winning the NFC championship.

4.) Pujols's HR vs. Astros.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

1.) Penn St. 17 - Ohio St. 10. Awesome game, awesome atmosphere. When Tamba Hali turned Troy Smith's world literally upside down I knew Penn St. football was back in a big way.

That's odd...That one didn't make my list for some reason.

Nice ass-whooping you put on us by the way. :D

BB52Big.jpg

1. World Series Ring Ceremony. Especially having it done in front of the Yankees, who were -- and I won't say this very often -- very classy about it.

I agree. Very classy from the Yankees. Especially Mariano Rivera's tip-of-the-hat to the mock cheers from the crowd.

As in-your-face as it was, I think if more teams did this (from the Yankees perspective), it can motivate them to perform better the next season. If they didn't choke, the Red Sox would have had the rings. I think it goes along with Steinbrenner leaving the lights on and allowing the Red Sox to celebrate the Pennant at Yankee Stadium. It's more incentive to play better.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Mine were:

1. Michigan v. Penn State. Mario catching that pass. Mario is Jesus.

2. Being at the AFC title game in Pittsburgh, going down after the game to see TB and getting an on-field cap.

3. Pats winning SB

4. Pistons defeating Miami in game 7

5. Pistons winning games 3,4,and 6 of the Finals.

6. The first 3 quarters of game 7.

7. Michigan winning in East Lansing in OT

spikes.jpg

1. Pujols' shot and the look on George Bush's face in the stands. It was diminshed a little by the Cards losing, but what a moment.

2. Reggie Bush pushing Leinert into the endzone to keep the perfect season going.

3. White Sox winning the series

4. UNC - Illini national championship

5. Super Bowl Pats win

6. Lance owning the Tour de France

7. Game 4 of the NLDS - Braves and Astros

8. Gonzaga - Michigan State game

9. Afleet Alex stumbling and the getting up and winning the Preakness

10. Danica Patrick's Indy run

9. Afleet Alex stumbling and the getting up and winning the Preakness

That's a great one.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Archived