Future MLS Expansion

neo_prankster

Being from Portland, the Timbers Army would have nothing of "Portland Forest"  - not that your concept is bad or anything, but in Portland the Timbers are an institution.  Can't mess with that, my friend.

did you read the thread, my friend? its in concepts, and you griped about it. i thought id make some concepts and get the ball rolling. im well aware of the timbers, and again, youre not the end-all authority on oregon. this isnt a real team. dont get all pinched

dude chill out - i wasn't "attacking" your concept, nor was i pretending to be the "know-all" about oregon.....seriously whats your problem? i didn't want to rip on your concept because i didn't find anything wrong with it - it's a fine concept. I was merely remarking about how the timbers are an institution in portland...they really are...have you ever sat behind the Timbers Army? Do you know what they'd do if their beloved timbers were trifled with? seems to me you've gotten your panties in a wad over not that big of a deal....seriously....take your attitude elsewhere. and i was with the "my friend" bit, trying to be nice to you...so much for that....man...

OD_Signature.jpg

Being from Portland, the Timbers Army would have nothing of "Portland Forest"  - not that your concept is bad or anything, but in Portland the Timbers are an institution.  Can't mess with that, my friend.

did you read the thread, my friend? its in concepts, and you griped about it. i thought id make some concepts and get the ball rolling. im well aware of the timbers, and again, youre not the end-all authority on oregon. this isnt a real team. dont get all pinched

Chill, he didn't tear a strip off of you.

I'm sure Gordie's well aware that the Forest aren't a real team. He's providing legitimate critique on the brand.

Thanks Gordie. I'd never heard of the Portland Timbers.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

dude chill out - i wasn't "attacking" your concept, nor was i pretending to be the "know-all" about oregon.....seriously whats your problem? i didn't want to rip on your concept because i didn't find anything wrong with it - it's a fine concept. I was merely remarking about how the timbers are an institution in portland...they really are...have you ever sat behind the Timbers Army? Do you know what they'd do if their beloved timbers were trifled with? seems to me you've gotten your panties in a wad over not that big of a deal....seriously....take your attitude elsewhere. and i was with the "my friend" bit, trying to be nice to you...so much for that....man...

hey, i think the name is pretty lame as well. i was trying to save a dying thread. it'd be nice to see what others could come up with. working with a name or colors you dont like is a bit of a challenge that everyone should take a crack at. if i post a concept, i would expect some critique on the piece of work rather than the name i didnt even come up with, nor should you "rip" on a concept that was bad. as for the "oregon authority" thing, youve just shown it again by asking if id ever sat behind the timbers army....it doesnt matter. i wasnt suggesting they should replace them. i agree that they should called the timbers if they get an mls team. actually, i'd prefer the fans and media call them the timbers, and the team to be called simply portland/portland fc, but theres already a thread about that argument.

Considering San Diego has a large latino population, soccer is huge here and we're right on the border of Mexico...we can either have SD Juniors OR Inter San Diego (San Diego Internazionale).

Speaking of...how about Miami Deportivo?

im not sure why the state of florida cant seem to support a franchise. my personal top choices for a successful franchise would be the carolinas or portland. i think philly seems obvious, but its too close to jersey

There's both - and Dynamo Kyev, Dynamo Zagreb, there are lots of Dynamos in former Soviet states

like Dinamo Tirana and Dinamo Bucurest? Are they from ex Soviet countries? NO, like Zagreb is no ex Soviet city, so please don't go into it if you don't know, people from here are sensitive, and I know you didn't mean to offend anyone, but...

There's both - and Dynamo Kyev, Dynamo Zagreb, there are lots of Dynamos in former Soviet states

like Dinamo Tirana and Dinamo Bucurest? Are they from ex Soviet countries? NO, like Zagreb is no ex Soviet city, so please don't go into it if you don't know, people from here are sensitive, and I know you didn't mean to offend anyone, but...

Maybe "Soviet bloc" would be more accurate. :D

As for the names, did the teams in Romania, Croatia, Albania, Ukraine, etc. predate the Soviet/communist era or were they founded/named during that time period? I'm just curious (and not trying to reopen old wounds). :peace:

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

i do apologize, i thought croatia was part of the former soviet state...again, my apologies. i didn't mention bucarest deliberately because it is in hungary for that reason. i know not all the dynamos are in fmr soviet states, and never made that claim. i just said a bunch of them are

jesus, how have i managed to offend so many people in one thread?

to everyone to whom i have offended: i apologize sincerely - i never meant to insult or offend you.

OD_Signature.jpg

i do apologize, i thought croatia was part of the former soviet state...again, my apologies. i didn't mention bucarest deliberately because it is in hungary for that reason. i know not all the dynamos are in fmr soviet states, and never made that claim.

Sorry, GD... Bucharest is in Romania. Budapest is in Hungary.

As for who named whom what and when...

Dynamo Kyiv was founded in 1927, after Ukraine had become part of the Soviet Union. The club was part of a nationwide Soviet "sport-society" named "Динамо" [Dinamo]. This explains "Dinamo" teams in Minsk (Belarus) and Tbilisi (Georgia), among others in cities that were part of the USSR.

As other nations in Eastern Europe fell within the sphere of influence of the Soviets and communism, they adopted the "Dinamo" nickname for their athletic clubs, as these governments were encouraged to adopt Soviet-style policies. This explains teams in Zagreb (Croatia, formerly part of Yugoslavia), Tirana (Albania) and Bucharest (Romania).

To understand the underlying resentment and hard feelings many Eastern Europeans have about recent history would take more time than I have to write it out.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

i do apologize, i thought croatia was part of the former soviet state...again, my apologies.  i didn't mention bucarest deliberately because it is in hungary for that reason.  i know not all the dynamos are in fmr soviet states, and never made that claim.

Sorry, GD... Bucharest is in Romania. Budapest is in Hungary.

Dynamo Kyiv was founded in 1927, after Ukraine had become part of the Soviet Union. The club was part of a nationwide Soviet "sport-society" named "Динамо" [Dinamo]. This explains "Dinamo" teams in Minsk (Belarus) and Tbilisi (Georgia), among others in cities that were part of the USSR.

As other nations in Eastern Europe fell within the sphere of influence of the Soviets and communism, they adopted the "Dinamo" nickname for their athletic clubs, as these governments were encouraged to adopt Soviet-style policies. This explains teams in Zagreb (Croatia, formerly part of Yugoslavia), Tirana (Albania) and Bucharest (Romania).

To understand the underlying resentment and hard feelings many Eastern Europeans have about recent history would take more time than I have to write it out.

jesus its a bad day for me - i knew that and i got it mixed up in my head...blahhhhhhh

OD_Signature.jpg

Dynamo Kyiv was founded in 1927, after Ukraine had become part of the Soviet Union.  The club was part of a nationwide Soviet "sport-society" named "Динамо" [Dinamo].  This explains "Dinamo" teams in Minsk (Belarus) and Tbilisi (Georgia), among others in cities that were part of the USSR.

As other nations in Eastern Europe fell within the sphere of influence of the Soviets and communism, they adopted the "Dinamo" nickname for their athletic clubs, as these governments were encouraged to adopt Soviet-style policies.  This explains teams in Zagreb (Croatia, formerly part of Yugoslavia), Tirana (Albania) and Bucharest (Romania).

Thank you for the answer, and nice use of the Cyrillic alphabet. Reminds me of my three years of high school Russian (most of which has long since slipped out of my feeble brain). I do, however, remember a textbook exercise with a conversation between two lads going to see the Spartak v. Dynamo match at "Stadion eemenee Lenina" (to use phonetic spelling because I don't know how to find the Cyrillic letters).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Dresden also has a team with the Dynamo name.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I've been thinking about a soccer-specific stadium in the Brandon, FL area. It's a suburb of Tampa and soccer is really popular here. But, I'm mostly just bitter that I was too young to appreciate the Mutiny when we had them. I'd like the name to be Tampa Wednesday FC after Sheffield Wednesday FC from Hillsborough and Hillsborough Stadium in the UK (Tampa's in Hillsborough County).

Wheres Rochester? How about the Rochester Reds insted of Rhinos or maybe the Rochester Gunners after the best team in the world.

I was thinking the same thing. I can't speak to any kind of soccer knowledge, but ANYTHING would be better than the Rochester Raging Rhinos. The current name is just so pathetic, childish, and stupid.

There aren't too many natural landmarks in Rochester, but there are the local institutions of Kodak, Xerox, Bausch and Lomb, lilac flowers, flour mills, and Genesee Beer. There must be a good name in there somewhere.

Even the Rochester Brewers would be better than what they have now.

Or, to make it Euro, how about WNY United, or High Falls FC?

On a tangent, how stupid is this?

327.gif

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I've been thinking about a soccer-specific stadium in the Brandon, FL area. It's a suburb of Tampa and soccer is really popular here. But, I'm mostly just bitter that I was too young to appreciate the Mutiny when we had them. I'd like the name to be Tampa Wednesday FC after Sheffield Wednesday FC from Hillsborough and Hillsborough Stadium in the UK (Tampa's in Hillsborough County).

I'd love to see the Tampa Bay area get a second go around with MLS (or even USL for that matter). Preferably, I'd like a name along the lines of a pirate theme. Maybe a MLS team is USF's way into getting an on-campus stadium (since Raymond James costs them an arm and a leg)

Archived