TSN Insider : New NHL Uniforms

beesharps

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A friend, who reports for a sports network, went to the GM Meetings. They only had prototypes for the jerseys, and Reebok wasn't speaking about anything. My friend says that they were tighter than the current NHL uniform, but not as tight as the Nike ones.

And as for my no laceups comment, let me make known my thoughts with a scorecard :

No more laceups = +10

Normal collar to be replaced by, no doubt, square collars = -20

Messing with every other aspect of the classic hockey uniform = -524.

Homer%20Simpson%20Sabres.jpg

My question is this though, with the 3rd jerseys gone, will this mean the Rangers will modernize their look to incorporate the Liberty logo onto the jerseys or will Liberty get the boot?

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

My question is this though, with the 3rd jerseys gone, will this mean the Rangers will modernize their look to incorporate the Liberty logo onto the jerseys or will Liberty get the boot?

I haven't heard no 3rd Jersey's. I hope so but I haven't heard that.

As for the Rangers yes they would probably drop the Liberty logo. It has nothing to do with the team name had Mike Richter never put it on his mask there probably would have been no Liberty thirds.

I'm pretty sure third jerseys are toast after this season

I think there will be thirds, but not for a couple of years, at least not until they actually can sell the new look to the public. Why have 3 jerseys to choose from if they cant ultimatly even 2 kinds each of them?

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

As for the Rangers yes they would probably drop the Liberty logo. It has nothing to do with the team name had Mike Richter never put it on his mask there probably would have been no Liberty thirds.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Rangers 3rd jersey extremely popular?

'Cause I remember that there was a home version of the "liberty" jersey.

image,Shane-spc-Williams,white,black.png

I thought this GM meeting was suppsoed to take place last week - whats the deal, why dont we have any new information?

I don't know. . . maybe because none of us here went to the GM meetings?

Was not trying to sound mean or impatient, by "we", I meant why dont we have any official information, from TSN or anything. That column from last week made it seem like they were going to report on the Jersey issue...

According to NHLUniforms.com the Rangers wore a white version of the 3rd jersey during the 1998-99 season only:

531249667pr.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

According to NHLUniforms.com the Rangers wore a white version of the 3rd jersey during the 1998-99 season only:

531249667pr.jpg

doesn't have quite the same effect when it's white.

Also, I love lace-up collars, as long as they are with a traditional jersey style (ie. not calgary) and I hate square collars (ie. nashville third). Somehow RBK will change just about every aspect of the jersey. I'm half expecting a baseball style vest with a long sleeve shirt that is worn underneath it.....

Yea but I think the Rangers will try to keep as much as the traditional jerseys as possible. If there are no third jersey's then Liberty Jersey is toast.

If Richter never had the Statue of Liberty on his helmet the Rangers probably wouldn't have had the idea for the Liberty alts.

I personally don't like the Liberty logo and jersey. It has nothing to do with their name. The primary shield logo is much better and I wouldn't mind seeing that on an alt.

I personally don't like the Liberty logo and jersey. It has nothing to do with their name. The primary shield logo is much better and I wouldn't mind seeing that on an alt.

What does the shield have to do with the name? Are the New York Rangers names after soldiers, or government workers? Granted, the shield has been a part of the team for a long time, and it is as classical as any one of the Original Six logos, but it does it really say "New York" or "Rangers"?

The Liberty Head logo is one of the best alternate logos in sports. It screams "New York" more than any other logo in the city does, even moreso than the skyline in the Mets logo. And it's not like the Yankees "NY" logo, taken from an obscure city logo (it's taken from a token or something, right?).

If all the teams are getting rid of their current alternates, I will be very disappointed if the Rangers ditch the Liberty Head. It's the one Rangers article of clothing I own, and has probably been the only good selling piece of merchandise the team has had.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Granted, the shield has been a part of the team for a long time, and it is as classical as any one of the Original Six logos, but it does it really say "New York" or "Rangers"?

why yes.

right on the shield.

it clearly says "New York" and "Rangers".

I was never a fan of the Liberty Head logo or jerseys. Much like i hate the Bruins alternate. Hockey relies on, maybe only second to football, tradition and ties to the past. Gary has systematicly cut almost all ties to hockey's past. This new Nike Swift movement is yet another attack on hockey tradition. Bettman needs to be stopped.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

The Liberty Head logo is one of the best alternate logos in sports. It screams "New York" more than any other logo in the city does, even moreso than the skyline in the Mets logo. And it's not like the Yankees "NY" logo, taken from an obscure city logo (it's taken from a token or something, right?).

The Yankees' monogram was from a 19th century NY Fire Department medal. Created by Tiffany's. The Knicks' "NYK" logo was modeled after a subway token IIRC.

As for the Rangers uniforms, I'll hate 'em no matter whose head is on the sweaters. But I always kinda liked the fact that they were the one team who didn't just slap their logo on their sweaters, that they strayed from the pack and had the diagonal lettering instead of a logo.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived