TSN Insider : New NHL Uniforms

beesharps

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll reply to my own post now....

Interesting to see how the GM's of the league hate the new look, and the quote from an anonymous GM fills me with hope. Let's all keep our eyes peeled for this ECHL Las Vegas team practice. I have a friend in the media who is covering the GM meetings ins Las Vegas next week, and I will make sure he keeps his ear (and eye) to the ground.

Homer%20Simpson%20Sabres.jpg

GMs to discuss a new look uniform

TSN.ca Staff

2/2/2006

When NHL GMs get together in Las Vegas next week, they will be discussing and debating all the weighty issues of the day, from reviewing the new rules to goalie inteference to video replay and, no doubt, a lot of trade talk, too.

But five will get you 10 the most interesting and potentially explosive dialogue will be saved for whether a shirt should be tucked or untucked. Actually, make that a sweater, a hockey sweater.

Here's the scoop.

RBK, the hockey company -- you know, Sidney Crosby's other employer -- has spent millions of dollars testing and re-designing the performance and look of the traditional hockey uniform and has come up with a sleek new design that many traditionalists will view as radical. Most GMs have a prototype in hand, some have even had one of their players privately model and test them.

RBK, and the league head office, will maintain these new uniforms are a revolutionary step forward, that the integrated equipment and fabric will enhance safety and performance, that players will be more agile, better protected and their equipment will be much lighter and drier.

But here's the rub. Hockey traditionalists, and that would be most of the GMs, don't like the look of them. Not a bit.

One anonymous GM said: "Terrible. Just terrible. If we're forced to use them, well, we've got no choice, but if there's a choice, no way."

The most striking difference between the old uniform and the new prototype is the form-fitting sweater is tucked into a new-look hockey pant that has extended kidney pads and rides much higher on the torso. We can't show you a picture of what this looks like because the league is keeping the look under wraps for now, although the Las Vegas team in the ECHL will be modeling them for the GMs during an on-ice session next week.

The tuck, apparently, is what drives some GMs crazy. For a team like Chicago or Carolina, which have unique markings or striping along the bottom of the sweater that is an intrinsic part of the their look, the tuck issue is huge. Because the fabric is tight, tucked and made of a new space-age material, there is some concern whether the traditon and integrity of the Montreal Canadien bleu, blanc et rouge, for example, will be upheld.

Suffice to say, the apprehension level from the GMs on this issue is off the scale. Oh, this is going to be an interesting story, alright, for everyone, from the fans to the players and beyond. Stay tuned, this could get interesting.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Perfect! Thanks for the article. I wasn't sure how long TSN.ca waited (or if they waited at all) to post McKenzie's reports once he read them on air.

One anonymous GM said: "Terrible. Just terrible. If we're forced to use them, well, we've got no choice, but if there's a choice, no way."

One can almost bet, poor, anonymous GM, that you will have no choice...

Homer%20Simpson%20Sabres.jpg

Why do I have a feeling a few teams will be holding onto jersey's from this year to wear they might have a choice not to wear the new ones.

That may happen, unless they are forced to wear them.

This could end up like the Cooper-alls experiment of the 80s

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

It's unfortunate, but not completely out of the blue. For years, football jerseys have been getting smaller and smaller. Linemen jerseys are a weird cutout of spandex vaguely shaped like a jersey -- I'm expecting the NHL redesign to look about the same.

But woe to the overweight NHL fan? I'd hate to be a big guy squeezing into one of those.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Why do I have a feeling a few teams will be holding onto jersey's from this year to wear they might have a choice not to wear the new ones.

The jerseys nearly every team wears is sent to Meigray.com and sold off as part of the game worn jersey program. In fact, the jerseys are often pre-sold before the actual player even done wearing them.

They set a price for a Hasek road white Senators jersey and you place your order while he is still using it on ice.

There is not a lot of opportunity it appears for a team to decide to keep wearing their old style if the league has sold them out contractually to Reebok.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

guys, im probably in the minority here that thinks this will be a good thing.

Look at football uniforms progress in the last 10 years. today, they are skin tight and stuck on with tape all throught the uniform so defenders cannot clutch or grab the shirt. Today when i look back at old footage from from the 70s and 80s the players uniforms look like a total joke, like they are pop warner or something. When i watch those thing i cringe because its like Wow they didnt even know how bad they looked. They are baggy and there is no elastic on the arms and it just looks bad.

Uniforms usually evolve to become smaller and tighter in sports (exception is the NBA). You dont see anyone wearing all baggy baseball clothing anymore (like they were in the early years), it is all skin tight.

Uniforms usually evolve to become smaller and tighter in sports (exception is the NBA). You dont see anyone wearing all baggy baseball clothing anymore (like they were in the early years), it is all skin tight.

No, you do.

See: David Wells, Orlando Cabrera

VmWIn6B.png

To that point, why is it better for NBA players to wear baggy clothes? It seems to me like they would slow them down, or risk falling off or something. I've never understood, either, how the league allows its players to look like they're wearing pajamas.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Look at football uniforms progress in the last 10 years. today, they are skin tight and stuck on with tape all throught the uniform so defenders cannot clutch or grab the shirt. Today when i look back at old footage from from the 70s and 80s the players uniforms look like a total joke, like they are pop warner or something. When i watch those thing i cringe because its like Wow they didnt even know how bad they looked. They are baggy and there is no elastic on the arms and it just looks bad.

Funny, I think the unitard look "looks bad."

The modern players look more Bush League than the oldsters ever did, with the uniforms spray-painted on, everything elasticized and with sleeve holes cut so far that the pads stick out.

There's no need for uniform changes! If refs actually called all the clutching and grabbing, then we wouldn't be talking about "form-fitting" jerseys in the first place.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived