James Brown to CBS

VandyDelphia Mike

LA Times story

Of interest ...

1) Gumbel wants to do play-by-play again? Is he #2, or #3 at CBS, when factoring Nantz and Enberg?

2) Who replaces JB at Fox? It better not be Jeannie Zelasko.

1. Gumbel may be the new #1 with Nantz, who knows.

2. Maybe they'll pull someone from another station

The Fox pregame show is a total joke. James Brown + 3 idiots just trying to talk louder than one another. I can never watch more than 5 consecutive seconds of that nonsense. James Brown is a really smart guy... he deserves a better situation than Fox had him in.

i'll disagree with you there, they were knowledgeable guys who knew how to talk football and have fun, with CBS he's going to regret, he won't get any of the ratings and he'll have boringstock with CBS. I'll rather have CBS for the games and FOX for the pregame anyday

According to the story, Brown did it because he wanted to be closer to home and wanted an easier commute. DC to New York is much quicker than DC to LA. Seems like a very good reason to make the move to me. James Brown knows CBS pretty well, having worked there for a decade or so.

I think it would be great if they can move Gumbel back into the booth. It seemed like he and Nantz do their jobs very well, but don't do each other's job well. I preferred Gumbel in the booth to Nantz, but that might be just me.

Fox's pregame show is not that bad. I'd remove a few elements from it, though. First off, you can't really tell somebody that won 4 Super Bowls he's doing a bad job, but I'd remove Terry Bradshaw. He can get flat out silly at times. I don't need Frank's picks or the weather segment, so I'd get rid of those, too. I digress.

In any event, there are a number of names you can throw out there as a replacement for Brown. Chris Myers does a good job with NASCAR, so they might move him in as the replacement. Pam Oliver may be moved to the studio. Newcomer Laura Okim may be another option. Maybe Chris Rose. Or maybe they won't stay in house. We'll see what happens when it happens.

The Fox pregame show is a total joke. James Brown + 3 idiots just trying to talk louder than one another. I can never watch more than 5 consecutive seconds of that nonsense. James Brown is a really smart guy... he deserves a better situation than Fox had him in.

Can't even watch Fox's pre-game. It's all about shouting as loud as you can, as far as Bradshaw. They only have the wx to show a babe. Lose Bradshaw, have it be Jimmy, Howie, and someone to take JBs spot. Lose everything else.

Good for JB.

Fox had the best pregame show, but they've been going down the crapper for 3 or 4 years now. "Sexiest Football Player"? "10 Yards with TB"? All 4 guys - even Bradshaw - are good commentators who know the game inside and out, but they don't get the chance to show it, because they're forced into all the hokey nonsense Fox makes them do.

JB can go to CBS and make that show work even better. I like Gumbel in the booth. But you can't pair him with Nantz, since they both do about the same thing.

As for replacing JB at Fox, Chris Myers or Chris Rose seems like the logical choice. As much as I like Pam Oliver, she's too good on the sidelines to move into the studio.

Maybe they'll go after another JB to replace JB... Jerome Bettis. :therock:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Good for JB.

Fox had the best pregame show, but they've been going down the crapper for 3 or 4 years now. "Sexiest Football Player"? "10 Yards with TB"? All 4 guys - even Bradshaw - are good commentators who know the game inside and out, but they don't get the chance to show it, because they're forced into all the hokey nonsense Fox makes them do.

JB can go to CBS and make that show work even better. I like Gumbel in the booth. But you can't pair him with Nantz, since they both do about the same thing.

As for replacing JB at Fox, Chris Myers or Chris Rose seems like the logical choice. As much as I like Pam Oliver, she's too good on the sidelines to move into the studio.

Maybe they'll go after another JB to replace JB... Jerome Bettis. :therock:

How about the OTHER James Brown, yes! The GODFATHER OF SOUL!!! Imagine him and Bradshaw in the same room.... :D

My preference is Chris Myers. A good voice for a studio job and a decent interviewer.

I saw, I came, I left.

Everything Fox does is just idiots trying to talk louder than one another. Fox News. Fox Sports. The Fox network. If Fox had a weather service they'd have two weathermen arguing over how much rain Seattle is going to get.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Fox pregame show is a total joke.  James Brown + 3 idiots just trying to talk louder than one another.  I can never watch more than 5 consecutive seconds of that nonsense.  James Brown is a really smart guy... he deserves a better situation than Fox had him in.

Everything Fox does is just idiots trying to talk louder than one another. Fox News. Fox Sports. The Fox network. If Fox had a weather service they'd have two weathermen arguing over how much rain Seattle is going to get.

....and Bill O'Reilly predicting a massive earthquake in San Francisco .... (Disclaimer: this is not a knock against the Bay Area in any way....)

I saw, I came, I left.

The Fox pregame show is a total joke.  James Brown + 3 idiots just trying to talk louder than one another.  I can never watch more than 5 consecutive seconds of that nonsense.  James Brown is a really smart guy... he deserves a better situation than Fox had him in.

i'll disagree with you there, they were knowledgeable guys who knew how to talk football and have fun, with CBS he's going to regret, he won't get any of the ratings and he'll have boringstock with CBS. I'll rather have CBS for the games and FOX for the pregame anyday

i'll take fox for pregame and during game! i hate cbs.

LA Times story

Of interest ...

1) Gumbel wants to do play-by-play again?  Is he #2, or #3 at CBS, when factoring Nantz and Enberg?

2) Who replaces JB at Fox?  It better not be Jeannie Zelasko.

1. Gumbel may be the new #1 with Nantz, who knows.

2. Maybe they'll pull someone from another station

Gumbel the #1 with Nantz? Maybe I read this wrong, but Gumbel in the booth with Nantz is pretty unlikely since they're both play-by-play guys.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

CBS benefits from this, here's what they need to do now:

1. go to an indoor studio. Nobody wants to watch a bunch or rowdy fans acting like morons behind them.

2. lose Shannon Sharpe. He brings nothing to the table whatsoever.

3. might as well lose everybody, I guess keep Marino, but really don't need Nance or the rest of them.

Fox is...peculiar, but it's fun. I don't know how it'll be with JB gone. I could possible forsee Chris Collinsworth doing it, but I think he's doing MNF/SNF, one of the two. Meh.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1. go to an indoor studio. Nobody wants to watch a bunch or rowdy fans acting like morons behind them.

They did that for the 2005 season. The only time they were outdoors was in Denver for the AFC championship

Signature intentionally left blank

1.  go to an indoor studio.  Nobody wants to watch a bunch or rowdy fans acting like morons behind them.

They did that for the 2005 season. The only time they were outdoors was in Denver for the AFC championship

Yep. They've done the AFC championship game outdoors since the beginning of the current run in 1998. The rest of the season, the studio gang is indoors.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I can't stand to watch anything on FOX. Their pregame and their game broadcasts suck IMO. It's all stupid little segments, trying to be funny. "NFL's Sexiest Man"?!? Do they really think there are guys waiting all week to see that segment. They lose a lot of viewers when that comes on probably. And is it just me or is that woman that hosts that segment (and the weather) ALWAYS losing her voice. She always sounds like sh!$.

Their broadcasts are all unprofessional too if u ask me. I always go back to last year when they had the halftime stats of the star players on the screen and one of the stats listed was "# of Whines" for Chad Johnson.

NFL Today would be perfect now if they got rid of Shannon Sharpe.

Archived