SEC Throwbacks

StampedeMark

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As long as we never see Bruce Pearl in that hideous orange blazer again, I don't care what the Vols wear on the court :P

He's already said he's going to keep busting that thing out for the Vandy and Kentucky games in the future. Shield your eyes accordingly. B)

Do you think Dick Cheney would have see him if he was wearing that jacket if he went hunting with the VP??? :D:D:D

A better look at the Tennessee home jersey.

435351.jpeg

Rumor has it these will be the full-time jerseys next year.

These are 100% accurate because the manufacturer (adidas, by Ripon) had an original Ernie and Bernie era jersey in hand when designing and manufacturing them.

Actually, it looks like those jerseys were made by Betlin. It has the same numbering style that we do, and we have our basketball unis made by Betlin.

As long as we never see Bruce Pearl in that hideous orange blazer again, I don't care what the Vols wear on the court :P

He's already said he's going to keep busting that thing out for the Vandy and Kentucky games in the future. Shield your eyes accordingly. B)

I actually don't mind seeing that blazer as much as I would if I saw Mark Gottfried wearing one of Wimp Sanderson's plaid blazers. :puke:

I LOVE the orange blazer. I also LOVE that we are 2-0 when he wears it.

A top 10 basketball team is certainly more than I thought we would have. 10? That's the number of wins I thought we would be lucky to get all season long.pearl_9141-lg.jpg

Every time I see that picture, I thank God that orange is not part of UWM's color palette. Then again, we were never treated to the Signal Yellow blazer when he coached here.

QPR%20Sig.png

435351.jpeg

These are 100% accurate because the manufacturer (adidas, by Ripon) had an original Ernie and Bernie era jersey in hand when designing and manufacturing them.

Actually, it looks like those jerseys were made by Betlin. It has the same numbering style that we do, and we have our basketball unis made by Betlin.

The tag on the inside says "Made in U.S.A., Berlin, WI," which would indicate they were made by Ripon.

I have had an orange one in my hands.

All of our uniforms for all of our sports are numbered locally in Knoxville. They arrive with "Tennessee" on them and the numbers are added by a uniform manufacturer here in town.

I would have to agree with Roger71 I cant remember seeing Pistol Pete in a gold uniform...didnt LSU used to at one point wear gold at home too?

LSU still wears white uniforms and yellow uniforms at home, and the Tigers have gone almost exclusively yellow at home in the SEC for most of the last two seasons.

I don't think LSU started wearing yellow until the mid 1970s under Dale Brown (but again, any older LSU fans, please correct me if I'm wrong). For a couple of years in the mid '70s, I don't think LSU had a white uniform. My point was that if LSU didn't wear yellow at all when Maravich played and they're supposedly throwing back to the Maravich era (even if the model photo is the No. 2), then they should not have a yellow throwback.

BTW, I love the Alabama throwbacks. Nothing seems to say Reggie King like that uniform.

435351.jpeg

The tag on the inside says "Made in U.S.A., Berlin, WI," which would indicate they were made by Ripon.

I have had an orange one in my hands.

All of our uniforms for all of our sports are numbered locally in Knoxville. They arrive with "Tennessee" on them and the numbers are added by a uniform manufacturer here in town.

Sorry. It's just that Betlin is the main maker of Adidas uniforms, and it had the same style of numbering that Betlin uses. But, I forgot that many sporting goods stores used that same block style. I think some of South Carolina's jerseys have that style since some of them are printed at a local sporting goods store as well.

Sorry. It's just that Betlin is the main maker of Adidas uniforms, and it had the same style of numbering that Betlin uses. But, I forgot that many sporting goods stores used that same block style. I think some of South Carolina's jerseys have that style since some of them are printed at a local sporting goods store as well.

Yeah, and I had assumed that when I first saw them, but they did them locally, just like everything else. The place we take our stuff can actually do lettering in tackle twill in any TrueType font. It's an incredible process to watch. They let me see how it's done as they were finishing up some TT sweatshirts I had done for the volleyball team.

I've been told by our rep that adidas is phasing out Betlin, at least for their top-tier schools. Ripon is picking up most of the football and basketball stuff, while they have gone back to Sports Belle (who was their primary manufacturer for all sports in the late 90's) for baseball. They will continue to use Betlin for their lower-tier schools and those that pay for part of their uniforms. They will also remain the manufacturer of the "adidas Team" line for high schools.

QUOTE (pooter @ Tuesday, February 14th, 2006 - 04:11:40)

On the Kentucky jersey, it has the wrong number. Dan Issel wore #44.

It doesn't matter - Issel never wore that style uniform; he wore the old Rupp (satin shorts) uniforms. The SEC throwbacks are from the 1977/78 NCAA Championship team (also worn in at least 1978/79, and maybe the following year as well).

Along those lines, the LSU one has been billed locally as a Pete Maravich-era "throwback" Maybe there's an older LSU fan out there who can help me out, but I don't think LSU wore yellow during Pete's time there. I give them props for getting the fonts close to a Maravich-era match. But if LSU didn't wear yellow back then, then the "yellow throwback" is a bastardized version. And I can't stand improperly done "throwbacks."

If they were the '78 Championship year jerseys, they should have had Robey or Givens.

I agree, I don't think I have ever seen a picture of The Pistol wearing a yellow LSU jersey.

Good point, but if we want to get technical there shouldn't have been a name at all - UK didn't use them back then. I can't remember when they started putting names on - I think it was the version after the throwback that had some light blue trim (either 1979/80 or 1980/81).

They had names some years and didn't have them other years during the early 1980s (the end of the Hall years), but have always had names since the start of the Sutton era (1985/86).

Yeah, and I had assumed that when I first saw them, but they did them locally, just like everything else. The place we take our stuff can actually do lettering in tackle twill in any TrueType font. It's an incredible process to watch. They let me see how it's done as they were finishing up some TT sweatshirts I had done for the volleyball team.

I've been told by our rep that adidas is phasing out Betlin, at least for their top-tier schools. Ripon is picking up most of the football and basketball stuff, while they have gone back to Sports Belle (who was their primary manufacturer for all sports in the late 90's) for baseball. They will continue to use Betlin for their lower-tier schools and those that pay for part of their uniforms. They will also remain the manufacturer of the "adidas Team" line for high schools.

I was thinking that because of the Reebok-Adidas merger, that Adidas schools could choose which manufacturer made their unis. That is why you see some Adidas schools with Ripon, Wilson, and Sports Belle. Also, ACO in upstate New York has also made uniforms for several Reebok schools, so they could also be a possible option for Adidas schools. But, Troy mainly uses Betlin. I'm personally not to fond of their stuff as I am with Wilson or even Russell.

I was thinking that because of the Reebok-Adidas merger, that Adidas schools could choose which manufacturer made their unis. That is why you see some Adidas schools with Ripon, Wilson, and Sports Belle. Also, ACO in upstate New York has also made uniforms for several Reebok schools, so they could also be a possible option for Adidas schools. But, Troy mainly uses Betlin. I'm personally not to fond of their stuff as I am with Wilson or even Russell.

adidas is phasing out Betlin because, as you said, their stuff isn't of the same quality as the other manufacturers that they use.

The merger has not officially taken place, so there is currently no cross-manufacturing taking place, according to our rep. When it does, there are no plans to open things like that up. Supposedly, RBK is completely out of the college business after this year.

does anyone have a photo of the actual vandy throwback jerseys?

bildeSiteDNDate20060219CategorySPOR.jpg

What's pathetic is that this is actually the best picture I can find, and it showcases Georgia's throwback look better than Vandy's. At least it shows that the Commodore non-white set is more their current vegas gold, and less the mustard gold that drawings seemed to indicate.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

Archived