Future Pro Football Hall of Famers

rebelx

I've come up with a list of NFL players who are likely to be future hall of famers, as well as first year of eligibility, if known. Does anybody have any candidates to add to this list, or comments about any of the guys I've listed?

2007: Bruce Matthews

2008: Darrell Green, Cris Carter

2009: Bruce Smith, Shannon Sharpe, Rod Woodson

2010: Jerry Rice, Emmitt Smith, Tim Brown

2011: Jerome Bettis, Deion Sanders, Brett Favre (if he retires this offseason)

Guys who are still active:

almost definites:

Junior Seau, Larry Allen, Will Shields, Jonathan Ogden, Curtis Martin, Willie Roaf, Marshall Faulk, Michael Strahan, Derrick Brooks

other possibilities:

Ray Lewis (despite his off-field issues)

Drew Bledsoe (the guy's numbers make a case for him)

Jimmy Smith (again, numbers make a case)

Terrell Owens (especially with a few more good years, which I'm sure he's capable of putting together)

John Lynch (has had a pretty strong career)

Tom Nalen (a good solid center for many years, and he won two championships)

Rod Smith (good career numbers, plus championships)

Warren Sapp (maybe, but he might have declined too precipitously)

Zach Thomas (again, maybe, may not have been quite good enough for long enough, may need to play a few more years to give us a more accurate read on him)

Walter Jones (far from finishing his career, but at the rate he's going, he's making a strong case already)

Let me add a few easy ones...

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

LaDainian Tomlinson

Adam Vinatieri

Marvin Harrison

Torry Holt

Shaun Alexander

Brian Urlacher

Here are a few to throw on the "maybe" pile...

Donovan McNabb

Steve McNair

Julius Peppers

Peter Boulware

Alge Crumpler

Champ Bailey

Deltha O'Neal

Ricky Williams

Kurt Warner

Tony Gonzales

Keith Brooking

Dwight Freeney

Brentson Buckner

Hines Ward

Randy Moss

How about a few coaches?

Bill Belichick

Bill Parcells

Bill Cowher

Mike Shanahan

Mike Holmgren

Jon Gruden

Dan Reeves

And a few owners:

Jerry Jones

Arthur Blank

I'm sure I'm leaving a lot of people out. Also, some these people I mentioned may fall off their pace and not get there. In any event, all the names mentioned so far have a decent shot at wearing the yellow jacket.

Also, some these people I mentioned may fall off their pace and not get there.  In any event, all the names mentioned so far have a decent shot at wearing the yellow jacket.

With that caveat, I won't disagree with your choices (except Torry Holt, because I don't think he is an "easy one"). Otherwise, some of those players definitely need to play a few more years to improve their resumes.

I would add a couple other names of players that are on pace to make the Hall if they continue their present production:

Todd Heap

Jamal Lewis (if he bounces back to pre-2005 form, even with his legal issues)

Ed Reed

Clinton Portis

Steve Smith

Troy Polamalu

Corey Dillon (probably a close call based on his current resume)

I KNOW I am leaving out plenty of others, as there are just too many players to consider.

P.S. I'm sure no one will detect any bias with regard to my first three choices. :P

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

In addition to Torry Holt (who I think would almost be a lock-highest average yards per game for any reciever in NFL history, 6 consecutive 1300 yard seasons), allow me to advance Isaac Bruce (one of the best, if not the best, route runners in history) and Aeneas Williams (d@mn good defender who's only real problem is that he spent much of his career in Arizona) as probable picks.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And a few owners:

Jerry Jones

Arthur Blank

I'm sure I'm leaving a lot of people out. Also, some these people I mentioned may fall off their pace and not get there. In any event, all the names mentioned so far have a decent shot at wearing the yellow jacket.

How Bout Ralph Wilson Jr. He kept a team in small market Buffalo for over 45 years and won 2 AFL championships and took the team to 4 Super Bowls.

saBS.png

Active-

Peyton Manning

Tom Brady

Steve McNair

Brett Favre

Rod Smith

Drew Bledsoe

Mark Brunell - Maybe

John Lynch

Kimo

Junior Seau

Zach Thomas

Michael Strahan

Willie Roaf

Champ Bailey

Ty Law

Ray Lewis

Shaun Alexander

Ricky Proehl - Maybe

Randy Moss

Active with Potential-

Troy Polamalu

Ed Reed

Ben Roethlisberger

Chad Johnson

Carson Palmer

Eli Manning - Maybe

Cadilac Williams

Heath Miller

Ronnie Brown

Steve Smith

Brian Urlacher

Non-Active that need in-

Jerome Bettis

Michael Irvin

L.C. Greenwood

Dermonti Dawson

Cris Carter

Carnell Lake

Bruce Matthews

Coaches-

Bill Belichek

Bill Cowher

Bill Parcells

Mike Holmgren

Tony Dungy - Maybe

Dick Vermeil

Marty Schottenheimer

Dan Reeves

Mike Shannahan

alot are questionable and probaly wrong but thats who I can think of off the top of my head

Now that we have the one for the thumb, the other hand looks lonely........GO STEELERS

Adam Vinatieri.

No way in hell. He's a kicker for cripes sake.

I dunno the history of Kickers in the HOF, but I think they should have a place.

Whether Vinitaieri is deserving, I don't know. I do know he's overrated simply because he's gotten oppurtunities for big kicks. Granted, he's converted most of them, and some of them weren't chip shots, but still, other kickers are just as capable.

Anyways, I do think Kickers should have a spot. Kickers are part of the team, and anyone who excells beyond the rest at their position should have a spot in the HOF.

Now, I know they've been mentioned by some people, but I've gotta stick up for some Rams.

Marshall Faulk should be on EVERYONE's AS SURE AS POSSIBLE list. I'm not sure there's any guy still active who is any more of a sure thing than he is. Hopefully he comes back to play for another year or two. He shouldn't start or anything, but he was way underused this year, and I think Linehan is excited about what he can do with Faulk in there.

Next up is Isaac Bruce. The guy has dropped off due in part to aging and in part to the emergence of Torry Holt, but he is one of the top receivers to have played this game, and as has already been said, perhaps the best route runner in league history. Jerry Rice always overshadowed him during his prime (though Isaac always seemed and seems to bring his best for the matchups with the Niners) and he's never been a guy to grab for media attention, but he's quietly put up huge numbers. Plus, bonus points to him for being a career one teamer (LA to STL Rams)...at least to this point...hopefully that doesn't change. The only reason I won't let myself call him a sure thing is because I don't see him getting the attention...I hope he isn't overlooked.

Following Isaac is Torry Holt. The guy has pretty much been as good as any reciever during the span of his career. Much like Isaac though, Torry doesn't grab for the media attention. He likes attention trust me, but he never makes himself the story. He EARNS his attention. Compare him to Moss or TO, and Holt is as good, probably better. Factor in his attitude compared to this, and I think any coach would take him first. He's got a lot of career left and needs to play with the same pace he has, but that pace should have him in. Chances are he'll eclipse Bruce's numbers, and from memory and not actually looking at the stats, he might make a run at some of Rice's numbers. As of now, Holt's headed in the right direction.

Now, time for my man Kurt Warner. Warner was on pace for the Hall, then Martz screwed things up. If KW had stayed around St. Louis, he'd have kept putting up the big numbers. Now it's a little harder, but if he can find a team with good recievers and a good system (AZ had the first for him last year...whether its AZ or somewhere else hopefully he has it this year), he can make a push for the Hall again. He had three of the best seasons ever in history and that can't be taken away from him. He may not still hold these records, but until a year or two ago he had the highest QB Rating and the highest Completion Percentage in history (I THINK the QBR maybe 2nd now and CP is still 1st). If he can have 3-4 more really good or great years, he can force people to give him a long look.

Finally, I'll throw in my agreement with Aneas Williams. A great player, leader, and worker. He'll have a very good shot.

If we're talking kickers/punters, how about Sean Landeta?

Longevity and durability has to count for something, right?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Steve Tasker. The benchmark for special teams play and a class act off the field.

His highlight reel during the Bills super bowl run is without peer including a blocked punt in SBXXVII.

He could rock a guy on coverage or down it at the 1 on demand.

I think Morten Andersen and Gary Anderson should both be in. They are #1 and 2 all time with kicks made. (slight edge to Gary) If any kickers make it these two should. I would also consider Elam. But thats it, being clutch in the SB is great, but Vinatieri doesn't have the career numbers yet.

The first kicker that deserves a spot in the Hall is Ray Guy IMO, not that others aren't deserving, but if special teamers start to get spots Ray Guy would have to lead that pack.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

Archived