Picture of Mets new Stadium

NJTank

From your article, "The stadium projects will also benefit from millions of dollars in tax exemptions and direct city and state contributions for construction of infrastructure."

There you have it. And who's to say they're going to replace the 22 Acre park or they'll pay the city back. But who's to say they won't.

And yes it'll bring more jobs, but where will those people live?

Infrastructure is roads, subways, and other stuff like that, all of which the City is already responsible for. You are not going to tell me that the Mets should have to fix the roads going to the stadium right. Would you yourself personally pay to have a pothole filled that is in front of your house? No, you would call your town to do it.

Improving infrastructure is something the City should be doing regardless if a new stadium is being built.

Where are these workers going to live? My guess is where they are currently living. 21 million people live in the NYC metro area. My guess is that they won't have to bring other people from other areas in to build this.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't think that this would increase the number of jobs greatly (except for construction jobs) most of those people would already be working at Shea or would be from the area. As for additonal police for the new stadium, again the existing Shea Stadium detail would remain in place probably with the same staffing. However, the City should increase the starting pay for the NYPD but that's another topic entirely.

Where will the people who build the new Yankee Stadium live?

I don't mean to sound rude, but why is this an argument? "Creating jobs" doesn't mean the city brings in thousands of people from other places, rather it means contruction companies continue to employ (or hire) people who already live in NYC and the surrounding areas to do the work.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Infrastructure is roads, subways, and other stuff like that, all of which the City is already responsible for. You are not going to tell me that the Mets should have to fix the roads going to the stadium right. Would you yourself personally pay to have a pothole filled that is in front of your house? No, you would call your town to do it.

Improving infrastructure is something the City should be doing regardless if a new stadium is being built.

I'm not going to get involved in this fight. In any case, when it comes to stadium projects and such "infrastructure" generally means construction of "roads, subways, and other stuff like that" that would probably not be built otherwise (i.e., subway extensions, highways, highway access ramps, etc. that would not be necessary but for the construction of the stadium).

For example, the State of Maryland contributed a sizable sum toward infrastructure construction when Jack Kent Cooke Stadium/FedEx Field was constructed (approx. $70M, IIRC). Yes, roads, subways and utilities are generally the government's responsibility (unless you are a developer constructing a housing development, in which case you build the roads and install the public water and sewer). However, in the case of JKC/FedEx, the infrastructure was access ramps and roadways that would never have been built if the stadium wasn't placed where it was. That may also be the case with the new Mets stadium, but I don't know.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I'm not going to get involved in this fight. In any case, when it comes to stadium projects and such "infrastructure" generally means construction of "roads, subways, and other stuff like that" that would probably not be built otherwise (i.e., subway extensions, highways, highway access ramps, etc. that would not be necessary but for the construction of the stadium).

For example, the State of Maryland contributed a sizable sum toward infrastructure construction when Jack Kent Cooke Stadium/FedEx Field was constructed (approx. $70M, IIRC). Yes, roads, subways and utilities are generally the government's responsibility (unless you are a developer constructing a housing development, in which case you build the roads and install the public water and sewer). However, in the case of JKC/FedEx, the infrastructure was access ramps and roadways that would never have been built if the stadium wasn't placed where it was. That may also be the case with the new Mets stadium, but I don't know.

Well with the Mets case the new stadium is being built right next to the current Shea. So they might have to extend the roads by a few feet but it is being built at the same complex.

Well with the Mets case the new stadium is being built right next to the current Shea. So they might have to extend the roads by a few feet but it is being built at the same complex.

I know that it is being built next to Shea, so the infrastructure improvements will probably be limited. However, construction costs in NYC are extremely high, so even minimal changes will add up.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

so they ditched the retractable foor and field idea? ok...

Could someone please tell me why the hell the Mets would need such things. Cuz the Mets are always having rain-outs and have the heat of the Arizona desert.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

so they ditched the retractable foor and field idea? ok...

Could someone please tell me why the hell the Mets would need such things. Cuz the Mets are always having rain-outs and have the heat of the Arizona desert.

They wanted to attract non-baseball events (i.e. the Final Four) to the park, which a retractable roof and floor would have accomodated. It's just as well the Mets decided to take that stuff out - the cost of the stadium would have been well over $1 billion. :shocked:

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I don't mean to sound rude, but why is this an argument? "Creating jobs" doesn't mean the city brings in thousands of people from other places, rather it means contruction companies continue to employ (or hire) people who already live in NYC and the surrounding areas to do the work.

Exactly. It's a case of some hard working guy who works construction taking a job at either job-site -A- the new Mets ballpark, or job-site -B- another project (maybe a mall, or a Trump Tower) that's going up somewhere else in town. It's not like they are bring in people from Kansas to build the thing...

Moose

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cyberclopedi...c9b.jpg&.src=ph

Theres nothing really around Shea accept some chop shops and a junk yard, thats where the Stadium will go.

It fairly open in Flushing Meadows, and with this and the new Yankee Stadium its going to be good for construction workers through out New York as they will have pleanty of oppertunities to work.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Sorry Swiss, but that info that's on ballparks.com has been there for years. The Mets aren't going to have the retractable roof.

Ahhh... Ok. I thought that was the same planned stadium.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Exactly. It's a case of some hard working guy who works construction taking a job at either job-site -A- the new Mets ballpark, or job-site -B- another project (maybe a mall, or a Trump Tower) that's going up somewhere else in town. It's not like they are bring in people from Kansas to build the thing...

Moose

You never know ... where's EZStreet anyways? ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

leopard88 basically made my case about infrastructure costs. And I didn't mean for this to blow up the way it did and like I said at the beginning I'm not singling the Mets or anyone else out. But things like this aren't desperately needed. And more often then not the stadium owners and team owners don't pay the city back on this stuff.

But at any rate, I guess I was just floored that the U.S. can go $9,000,000,000,000 in debt for BS.

A million dollars is going to be nothing very soon. It basically already is nothing.

Why do the Mets need a new stadium, anyway? Let them stink it up in Shea Stadium. They don't need to stink up another stadium in the NYC area, let alone behind Shea Stadium.

The infastructure already exists, the roads in Willets Point already need improvment parking for the construction and demolition period would be rough. The cost to the city is not so great considering the revenue they would collect from the park. Besides Shea is a dump and does need to be replaced. I still won't believe it's happening though until the first shovel hits the dirt.

Thanks to www.stadiumpage.com for this blown up image of the future stadium taken from The Daily News...

mets318.jpg

As an avid Mets fan, I would say this stadium looks amazing and I cannot wait to go to Opening Day in 2009!

Thanks to www.stadiumpage.com for this blown up image of the future stadium taken from The Daily News...

mets318.jpg

As an avid Mets fan, I would say this stadium looks amazing and I cannot wait to go to Opening Day in 2009!

That looks great. Can someone say the Anti-Shea.

Archived