Overused team nicknames

Drew22

Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!!  :P

This from a guy calling himself leopard!

I think those three each have Leopard beat by about a 30-1 ratio if you include high schools (and I'm probably being conservative). :D Besides Lafayette, there aren't many others.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Oh I agree the 3 are among the most common, just noticed the username connection.

I really just couldn't resist the "Wizard of Oz" quote, thus my picks in the first place. :D

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Wildcats, by far

I can't believe an Arizona Wildcat fan said that! :D I would never say that about my team. I envy you! ^_^

Well hey we just lost to some(Villanova), and won the championship 9 years ago against some also(Kentucky)

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

The 12 most used names of four-year college mascots: Eagles (74), Tigers (46), Bulldogs (39), Panthers (33), Knights (32), Lions (31), Bears (30), Hawks (28), Cougars (27), Pioneers (27), Warriors (27) and Wildcats (25).

Never thought of Pioneers, Warriors, and Knights as OVERused. I see all three as vastly underrated, very strong team nicknames.

Not that they are abundant by any means, but any team named "Dawgs" or other similarly intentionally misspelled names are overused, even if there is only ONE of them.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

heh, we're home to overused mascots here in Racine...my school, Case, is the Eagles (the company of the same name used an eagle emblem, so we do too), then we have (Park) Panthers, (Horlick) Rebels, (Prairie) Hawks, (St. Cat's) Angels and (Lutheran) Crusaders.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

It's been quite a few years ago now (early '70s?), but I remember a Sports Illustrated article about the NCAA men's basketball tournament (before it was even known as March Madness). Anyway, there was a chance that year that the Elite Eight could have been the Wildcats, the Wildcats, the Wildcats, the Wildcats, the Wildcats, the Wildcats, the Wildcats, and the Wildcats.

Didn't happen, by the way.

I totally agree about Wildcats being overused. When my hometown high school started co-oping in sports with our arch-rivals, they eventually decided to call themselves Wildcats, and I hated it. Bobcats would have been better because Bobcats isn't used as often.

Other overused sports names are Eagles, Tigers, Cardinals and Bulldogs.

Archived