D-League Expands...

Brian in Boston

I was watching our free trial of NBA TV the other day and I heard them say something about Bakersfield California getting a team too. It must be for 2007-08 though, but I'm not sure. Can anyone confirm this.

It is true, they are listed as a team on the NBADL site.

This is from an NBA.com press release about the league expansion:

The Dakota Wizards, Idaho Stampede, Colorado 14ers and Sioux Falls Skyforce, along with the previously announced expansion Bakersfield Jam (Calif.), join the Albuquerque Thunderbirds (N.M.), Arkansas RimRockers (Little Rock), Austin Toros (Texas), Fayetteville Patriots (N.C.), Florida Flame (Ft. Myers), Fort Worth Flyers (Texas), Roanoke Dazzle (Va.) and Tulsa 66ers (Okla.).

...giving them a tidy, and remarkably lucky, 13 teams. Can we expect another western team, or even, and don't laugh, a franchise in Minot ND?

Minot was one of the more successful teams in the old IBA (or was it IBL? I can't remember, but it was the league that existed before the CBA came knocking in the midwest), and even held an ABA franchise for a while before shifting it to SLC.

For a town of 35,000, with :censored:-all else to do, I think it might have a fighting chance in the D.

Minot's in a similar situation as Bismarck, but with an air force base population to boot. The only towns in the entire state with any local sports to follow are Grand Forks (UND) and Fargo (NDSU).

I wonder if the plan here is to expand to a point where each NBA team has its own minor league affiliate. Is it three teams that split a minor league club now?

Here are this season's NBA affiliations:

Tulsa 66ers: Bulls, Pacers, Bucks, Hornets

Roanoke Dazzle: Nets, Sixers, Wizards

Florida Flame: Celtics, Heat, T'Wolves, Magic

Fort Worth Flyers: Mavericks, Warriors, Lakers, Blazers

Fayetteville Patriots: Bobcats, Pistons, Knicks

Arkansas RimRockers: Hawks, Cavaliers, Grizzlies, Raptors

Albuquerque T'Birds: Jazz, Sonics, Kings, Suns

Austin Toros: Nuggets, Rockets, Clippers, Spurs

With the addition of 5 teams next year (bringing the total up to 13), it can be assumed that next season each team will have 2 or 3 affiliates. Maybe now they'll put affiliates closer to the NBA team.

Minot's in a similar situation as Bismarck, but with an air force base population to boot. The only towns in the entire state with any local sports to follow are Grand Forks (UND) and Fargo (NDSU).

No, Minot is much different than Bismarck in that point, in that there is a much stronger local following to Minot State.

Bismarck does have the University of Mary, which is going from NAIA to NCAA Division II next season. But Mary doesn't have the historical followings that Minot State has. Plus, Mary's biggest following in Bismarck is in football, not basketball.

But Minot was successful in the IBA. Who knows?

I just had a random brush with greatness about an hour ago. Went to my local grocery store and the Austin Toros were shopping there. I spoke with then for a moment and they seemed really cool. Apparently if Fayetteville beats Florida tonight the Toros make the playoffs ( I had no idea but I nodded like knew :D ). I guess they were having a cookout as they had a ton of meat and chicken...and a :censored:load of Sunkist soda.

newsig.jpg

In our Paper the other day (Fargo Forum), they said Sioux Falls is gonna be with Portland, and Bismarck will be with Minnesota.... but I'm quite positive they had that mixed up, as the Twolves website has Sioux Falls with them. That makes more sense.

so it may be :

Sioux Falls - Minnesota

Dakota - Portland

Idaho - Seattle (seems natural)

Colorado - Denver (too easy?)

that would work fine i spose.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

I just read in nba.com a team was awarded to Anaheim

look above you. :P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Usually Fresno follows Bakersfield.

That might be diffcult if they play at the Save Mart Center. There already is ECHL (Falcons) and both Fresno State Basketballl teams. Weekend dates may be hard to come by. Plus, I am not sure of local ownership as the owners of the Fresno Falcons also own the Grizzlies (PCL). Not sure if they have the $$ for the franchise fee, marketing and staff. Who knows?

In our Paper the other day (Fargo Forum), they said Sioux Falls is gonna be with Portland, and Bismarck will be with Minnesota.... but I'm quite positive they had that mixed up, as the Twolves website has Sioux Falls with them. That makes more sense.

so it may be :

Sioux Falls - Minnesota

Dakota - Portland

Colorado 14ers Join NBA Development League

April 6, 2006

Broomfield, Colo. ?The Colorado 14ers Basketball Team has been named as one of four NBA Development League expansion teams for the 2006-07 season, announced today by NBA Commissioner David Stern via video at a press conference held at the Pepsi Center in Denver. Stern also announced the 14ers as the affiliate team of the Denver Nuggets. Additional affiliates have yet to be determined.

so it may be :

Sioux Falls - Minnesota

Dakota - Portland

Idaho Stampede will also be the Utah Jazz affiliate next year.

liverpool-1.png

How about Baltimore?750,000 people can't be wrong.

A run down arena can, though.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Two words:Convention Center.

Let me clarify, the current run down arena in the bad part of town that is probably why the AHL, AFL, af2, NBA, NHL, and pretty much every other league that requires an arena don't even think of setting up shop there.

Also considering how its rumored that this is the last year for Roanoke and Fayetteville, travel is going to be a problem.

Today, we are all otaku.

Two words:Convention Center.

Let me clarify, the current run down arena in the bad part of town that is probably why the AHL, AFL, af2, NBA, NHL, and pretty much every other league that requires an arena don't even think of setting up shop there.

Also considering how its rumored that this is the last year for Roanoke and Fayetteville, travel is going to be a problem.

I won't disagree about the arena being run down, but the area around the arena isn't that bad (it is only about 4 blocks from Oriole Park, remember). The bigger problem is that Baltimore does not have a strong track record of supporting minor sports/minor league teams. Whether that would be different with an NBA-affiliated team, I don't know, but the history isn't terribly strong (excluding the heyday of the Blast (MISL) in the early '80s, when they routinely averaged 10-12,000 a night).

EDIT: Also, speaking just for myself, unless the NBDL tickets were pretty cheap, I would much rather drive to College Park and fight traffic on U.S. 1 to see a Terps game than drive to the Baltimore Arena (about 1/3 to 1/2 the time/distance) to watch players who, at best, might become marginal NBA players someday. Regardless of the relative talent levels, the college game generally features much more passion and intensity than a minor league professional game. Therefore, it is a more enjoyable product.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived