Rename the PCL

Buffalo

When the league had the San Francisco Seals, Seattle Raniers, Portland Beavers, Hollywood Stars, LA Angels, Sacramento Solons and Oakland Oaks, the PCL name was perfect...

But now its a total anachronism. Ever since the American Association dissolved the league's moniker has become increasingly irrelevent. Check out today's list of "Pacific" franchises and you quickly realise that the vast majority are nowhere near the West Coast...

* Iowa Cubs

* Memphis Redbirds

* Nashville Sounds

* Omaha Royals

* Albuquerque Isotopes

* New Orleans Zephyrs

* Oklahoma RedHawks

* Round Rock Express

* Colorado Springs Sky Sox

* Portland Beavers

* Salt Lake Bees

* Tacoma Rainiers

* Fresno Grizzlies

* Las Vegas 51s

* Sacramento River Cats

* Tucson Sidewinders

In fact, the only city with a salt-water port on the list is Tacoma, and technically, its Puget Sound, not the Pacific Ocean.

While only the two Tennessee teams are east of the Mississippi, a moniker like "Western Baseball League" would fit better.

Please discuss new names for this league...

A historic league shouldn't have to change it's name because of expansion like that. Just as the ECHL shouldn't have to change after absorbing the WCHL.

VmWIn6B.png

I think they talked about a change back in 1998 when they merged...but at this point, why change? (Unless this just dawned upon you or something...)

Also, what should we do about the International League when the Lynx move to Allentown?

Is the Texas league really the Texas league when half of its teams are in other states?

The South Atlantic League has teams in New Jersey and on the coast of Lake Erie.

My point...it doesn't really have to change.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Hows about we just bring back the ol' American Association?

And, as long as the PCL is around, perhaps someone should talk to them about their logo (which I would post, but I'm not quite sure how....)

hjwii

OT, but there will be a new American Association beginning play this summer which figures to be the AAA of Independent Baseball. It will feature some of the most popular independent teams pulled from their respective leagues, including the ever popular St. Paul Saints. The travel costs for teams will be pretty high, but I guess the teams are popular enough to make it back at the ticket office.

Anyway, here's the list of teams:

Coastal Bend Aviators

El Paso Diablos

Fort Worth Cats

Lincoln Saltdogs

Pensacola Pelicans

Shreveport Sports

Sioux City Explorers

Sioux Falls Canaries

St. Joe Blacksnakes

St. Paul Saints

I like how there's two "Sioux" teams and two "Saint" teams.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

While only the two Tennessee teams are east of the Mississippi...

Minor point, but most of New Orleans (and Zephyr Field in suburban Metairie, within "Friday Night Fireworks" earshot of my home) is located on the EAST bank of the Mississippi River....

^_^

It is what it is.

What should we do about the International League when the Lynx move to Allentown?

Wait, there moving??? First i have heard of this, can any body give more info on this??

Actually the Phillies are creating a new AAA affiliate in Allentown and the Lynx are most likely going to move into Lackawanna County Stadium and become the new Scranton-Wilkes Barre Red Barons.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

What should we do about the International League when the Lynx move to Allentown?

Wait, there moving??? First i have heard of this, can any body give more info on this??

Actually the Phillies are creating a new AAA affiliate in Allentown and the Lynx are most likely going to move into Lackawanna County Stadium and become the new Scranton-Wilkes Barre Red Barons.

The Ottawa Lynx franchise will move to Allentown, at which point Philadelphia will sign an affiliation agreement. It is then speculated that Baltimore (Ottawa's current parent) would affiliate with the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons franchise.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Ottawa Lynx franchise will move to Allentown, at which point Philadelphia will sign an affiliation agreement. It is then speculated that Baltimore (Ottawa's current parent) would affiliate with the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons franchise.

Those would both be good moves. A Phillies affiliate in the Lehigh Valley is a natural and it would be much nicer for the Orioles to have an affiliate that is closer to home (and easier to reach).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

OT, but there will be a new American Association beginning play this summer which figures to be the AAA of Independent Baseball. It will feature some of the most popular independent teams pulled from their respective leagues, including the ever popular St. Paul Saints. The travel costs for teams will be pretty high, but I guess the teams are popular enough to make it back at the ticket office.

Anyway, here's the list of teams:

Coastal Bend Aviators

El Paso Diablos

Fort Worth Cats

Lincoln Saltdogs

Pensacola Pelicans

Shreveport Sports

Sioux City Explorers

Sioux Falls Canaries

St. Joe Blacksnakes

St. Paul Saints

I like how there's two "Sioux" teams and two "Saint" teams.

Ehhh, if you look at the cities involved, travel shouldn't be a huge issue if they schedule right. Pensacola is the only true outlie city that isn't near any of the others.

PCL - Pacific Central League

... well there's an idea if both Japanese leagues decide to merge :)

well, with the rising sea levels, some of those cities will eventually become part of the pacific coast....

I saw, I came, I left.

A historic league shouldn't have to change it's name because of expansion like that. Just as the ECHL shouldn't have to change after absorbing the WCHL.

I completely agree. There's too much history to warrant a name change. What's the point? After all, the American League has a team in Toronto, Canada which (last I checked anyway) is not part of the United States of America and it's still called the American League.

Not changing until the Dallas Stars give all their pre-Dallas history, logos, colors, unis, name, etc. to the Minnesota Wild.

While only the two Tennessee teams are east of the Mississippi, a moniker like "Western Baseball League" would fit better.

Please discuss new names for this league...

Um, I live in Chico, CA and our previous baseball team (the Chico Heat) was part of the independent Western Baseball League (I guess you could say they were the Atlanta Braves of the league since they kicked a$$ in the regular season but collapsed in the playoffs) and the league was a complete financial disaster. Our team folded simply because the owner wanted no part of a league that was such a mess. The Heat practically carried the league for 6 years. I doubt a league would want to be associated with a disaster like that.

Not changing until the Dallas Stars give all their pre-Dallas history, logos, colors, unis, name, etc. to the Minnesota Wild.

In fact, the only city with a salt-water port on the list is Tacoma, and technically, its Puget Sound, not the Pacific Ocean.

I understand the argument being made until I get to this quote. Are people really that obtuse that a team within a league named Pacific Coast has to literally be based on the coast? In my mind, anything labeled Pacific Coast would be a team located in BC, Washington, Oregon, California.

This reminds me of a concept I once did where I made a secondary logo for a team called the San Jose Invaders. Using a tie-in with the Navy seals, I used a seal for the logo. The guy starts an argument saying seals aren't in San Jose and San Jose isn't on the coast. I countered that maybe the Detroit Pistons should be called Auburn Hills Pistons (yeah, I know, the story is a bit dated) because they really don't play in Detroit. Considering it was for free, I dropped the project. I don't recall ever running into an individual as stupid as that guy was before or since when it comes to team identity.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Archived