Cinco de Mayo Jersey for the Rangers

3rdbasetexas

The Texas Rangers anouncers just said that the Rangers will be wearing "Los Rangers" jerseys friday against the Yankees. The promotion shedule says that they will give out "Los Rangers" t-shirts that night, but says nothing about the actual players wearing jerseys. Does anyone know if thay will actually wear them or did the anouncer goof?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if they'll sing the National Anthem in Spanish that night.

A day celebrating Latino heritage? In Texas? With current events being what they are? Huh. How about that.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

And what of the players of French desent on the team? Do they have to wear those pullovers, since the Fifth of May celebrates a French defeat at the hands of Mexico.

I wonder why no professional teams wear the "Azuri" of Italy on Columbus Day.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

That is an interesting question. We have seen numerous Latino days and many MLB teams wear St. Patrick's Day garb. A Columbus Day promotion would be very popular in many markets.

The main potential drawback I see is that the MLB and the NFL would be the only major professional leagues in action at that time of year. MLB would be in the middle of the playoffs and I doubt any teams would wear a Columbus Day uniform in the playoffs. The only NFL teams in action would be those in the MNF game and they would need NFL approval to wear alts for that game, which would differ from any other alts they might wear (and we all know how accomodating the NFL is about that sort of thing . . . "I'm sorry, Mr. Manning, you cannot wear black shoes to honor Johnny Unitas.").

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

That is an interesting question. We have seen numerous Latino days and many MLB teams wear St. Patrick's Day garb. A Columbus Day promotion would be very popular in many markets.

The main potential drawback I see is that the MLB and the NFL would be the only major professional leagues in action at that time of year. MLB would be in the middle of the playoffs and I doubt any teams would wear a Columbus Day uniform in the playoffs. The only NFL teams in action would be those in the MNF game and they would need NFL approval to wear alts for that game, which would differ from any other alts they might wear (and we all know how accomodating the NFL is about that sort of thing . . . "I'm sorry, Mr. Manning, you cannot wear black shoes to honor Johnny Unitas.").

NFL teams don't really have team names on the jerseys like some colleges do (like Texas or Oklahoma), so it would seem to be a moot point. The only baseball games that would be played on Columbus Day would be Game 5's in a Division Series, so there is no guarantee there would even be a game for the team to wear the jersey.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

NFL teams don't really have team names on the jerseys like some colleges do (like Texas or Oklahoma), so it would seem to be a moot point.

A significant number of teams do have small wordmarks below their jersey collars, so that could be played with. I was also thinking in terms of changing jerseys to the Italian blue (as I believe Needschat was as well), like baseball teams wearing green jerseys and/or hats on St. Patrick's Day.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Why is this considered perfectly fine but Houston 1836 considered offensive?

Because the Mexicans didn't conquer the Texans (at least not militarily).

It's curious that North Americans remember Italy on Columbus Day...!

I say that because usually in Latin America local people remember Spain and Portugal on Columbus Day.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Right... but cinco de mayo celebrates when they conquered the french...

houston 1836 celebrated when the city was established

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

It's curious that North Americans remember Italy on Columbus Day...!

I say that because usually in Latin America local people remember Spain and Portugal on Columbus Day.

I think that is a product of the immigrant communities in both locations. The Italian immigrants in the US were the ones who began making Columbus Day something of an Italian Pride day, whereas the South American countries are dominated by Spanish and Portuguese immigrants.

Right... but cinco de mayo celebrates when they conquered the french...

houston 1836 celebrated when the city was established

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Speaking from the epicenter of the controversy, the only real controversy involving the former Earthquakes becoming the Houston MLS was that everyone here thought it was puzzling to give a Germanic name to a team in a town where there is little Germanic influence. The tiny minority that kicked up the storm over 1836 managed to get on the local news (who, like most local news, sensationalize things WAY more than should be accepted by decent human beings) and then it took of from there.

1836 didn't go over well here because the vast majority thought it was lame. And, honestly, the only reason Dynamo is going over any better is because 1836 was so lame. I have a ton of friends who are soccer freaks and they still don't get why Houston got a Euro-centric name. We're not central Texas.

In summary, it was a fake controversy that in reality angered like 20 people but was used as an excuse to change the unpopular name. So please stop blaming the wrong people: the MLS idiots should have come up with a better name to begin with, or even the 2nd time around.

Sorry about flying off-topic there. If the Rangers want to have the correct name on the jersey, they should go with Los Chupas Juevos.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Don't forget, May 17 is Syttendne Mai -- Norwegian independence day.

In honor of that, the Minnesota Twins should be called the Minnesota Broren.

Better hurry up with that letter to Mr. Pohlad.

Don't forget, May 17 is Syttendne Mai -- Norwegian independence day.

In honor of that, the Minnesota Twins should be called the Minnesota Broren.

Better hurry up with that letter to Mr. Pohlad.

Ja.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

El Cinco de Mayo ("The Fifth of May" in Spanish) is a national celebration in Mexico. It commemorates the victory of Mexican forces led by General Ignacio Zaragoza over the French expeditionary forces in the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862.

In 1861, in response to Mexico's refusal to pay off its debt, Britain, Spain and France sent troops to Mexico; they arrived in January of 1862. The democratically-elected new government of President Benito Juárez made agreements with the British and the Spanish, who promptly recalled their armies, but the French stayed, thus beginning the period of the French intervention in Mexico. Emperor Napoleon III wanted to secure French dominance in the former Spanish colony, including installing one of his relatives, Archduke Maximilian of Austria, as ruler of Mexico.

Confident of a quick victory, 6,500 French soldiers marched on to Mexico City to seize the capital before the Mexicans could muster a viable defense. Along their march, the French already encountered stiff resistance before Zaragoza struck out to intercept the invaders.

The battle between the French and Mexican armies occurred on May 5 when Zaragoza's ill-equipped militia of 4,500 men encountered the better armed French force. However, Zaragoza's small and nimble cavalry units were able to prevent French dragoons from taking the field and overwhelming the Mexican infantry. With the dragoons removed from the main attack, the Mexicans routed the remaining French soldiers with a combination of their tenacity, inhospitable terrain, and a stampede of cattle set off by local peasants. The invasion was stopped and crushed.

Zaragoza won the battle but lost the war. The French Emperor, upon learning of the failed invasion, immediately dispatched another force, this time numbering 30,000 soldiers. By 1864, they succeeded in defeating the Mexican army and occupying Mexico City. Archduke Maximillian became Emperor of Mexico.

----------------------------------

thanks to Wikipedia.org.

basically Cinco De Mayo celebrates the victory at the battle of pueblo in a war the mexicans eventually lost. it wasn't until there was a mexican insurgency before the French were kicked out of mexico. im not sure why Cinco de Mayo is turned in to a national holiday, it basically celebrates a battle they won in a war they lost. it would be like the south celebrating the Battle of Manassas, even though they eventually lost the war. Obviously we don't celebrate August 30th, which i believe was the day the confederate forces defeated union forces at the second battle of manasses.

So im not sure why May 5th is turned in to a bigger holiday than July 4th.

with that said, im pretty consistant on this issue. if the team wants to market merchandise or have the team wear a jersey celebrating may 5th, thats there right. just like its the right of the Birmingham team that put religious stuff on their jerseys.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Yet...

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Yet...

. . . thus the phrase in the parentheses.

Archived