Cinco de Mayo Jersey for the Rangers

3rdbasetexas

with that said, im pretty consistant on this issue. if the team wants to market merchandise or have the team wear a jersey celebrating may 5th, thats there right. just like its the right of the Birmingham team that put religious stuff on their jerseys.

you win

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Speaking from the epicenter of the controversy, the only real controversy involving the former Earthquakes becoming the Houston MLS was that everyone here thought it was puzzling to give a Germanic name to a team in a town where there is little Germanic influence.

But I do understand there is a large German population in Texas. It may not be Milwaukee, but I had heard there are lots of people of German descent there.

In fact, one time while at a Fort Worth restaurant, we noticed they had sauerkraut soup.

i bet only 1 of maybe 10 players can explain what took place on cinco de mao. 8 will say its mexicos independance day WRONG! a-rod will say its the date the mexicans landed on the moon. :P

So you can (I hope)...you have a competent history teacher, good for you.

This is more for the fan base, and even though Texas plays at bit to the North, I'm sure a significant chunk of the fan base will appreciate it.

I don't think anyone knows Casimir Pulaski's contribution to American Independence, but Illinois celebrates his birthday.

(BTW the French came, did the thing French soldiers are world-renowned for doing, and the Mexicans rejoiced) :P

EDIT-wrote that before seeing the earlier part of the thread

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The last time I checked, The Grand Republic of Texas became its own nation when General Sam Houston caught Santa Anna in his pajamas. When's the last time a top tier Mexican Soccer League team honored the 4th of July? This is the most retarded idea in Rangers history, including A-Rod.

Sorry for the non-connected sentences, but this really ticks me off. :cursing::cursing:

Why is this considered perfectly fine but Houston 1836 considered offensive?

because houston suck, and the dallas area isn't retarded? :P

I don't think anyone knows Casimir Pulaski's contribution to American Independence, but Illinois celebrates his birthday.

Like New Jersey, Maryland named a road after Pulaski. Unfortunately, it is now lined mostly by cheap motels, bars, liquor stores and construction companies.

When's the last time a top tier Mexican Soccer League team honored the 4th of July?

That is comparing apples and watermelons. Mexican soccer teams do not have large (or potentially large) fan bases of American immigrants to whom they wish to reach out. Teams in the United States (particularly, but not exclusively, in the Southwest) do have large pools of Latino immigrants that they would do well to attract.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

i can't be the only white person out there that loves cinco de mayo...

hell, i'm of scottish descent... am i supposed to be anti-spanish-jersey? i think it's a cool idea.

So you can (I hope)...you have a competent history teacher, good for you.

This is more for the fan base, and even though Texas plays at bit to the North, I'm sure a significant chunk of the fan base will appreciate it.

(BTW the French came, did the thing French soldiers are world-renowned for doing, and the Mexicans rejoiced) :P

EDIT-wrote that before seeing the earlier part of the thread

I'm Polish, well my mother is, second generation Polish-American. In Schenectady NY, we celebrated Casimir Polaski for years, had a statue errected in his honor. NY State errected a bridge over the Mohawk River and named it after another Pole that was instrumental in the US independence, Tadeusz Kosciusko. The bridge is 30 miles south of Saratoga, where his contributions were major.

Americans are lousy in history. We need to educate our children and grandchildren more..we need more than just ONE year of American history in high schools...Then maybe we'd NOT have nicknames like the Redskins around.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

hell, i'm of scottish descent... am i supposed to be anti-spanish-jersey? i think it's a cool idea.

I've never really gotten into Cinco de Mayo, but that is because I was already starting to show my age when it started to become prominent, not because I'm of Irish descent. I also think the Latino jersey trend is great. I don't see anything wrong with it, or with expanding it to other groups if teams see fit.

Speaking of that, when the Twins have a Norwegian day, I want winghaz to post pictures. :D

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

it's all a ploy to sell more merchandise.

simple as that. just works out to be decent timing and marketing.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against this... I just think it's silly that this is considered perfectly acceptable for one country to celebrate another's victory in battle (Rangers Cinco de Mayo jerseys) but not it's own (Houston 1836).

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against this... I just think it's silly that this is considered perfectly acceptable for one country to celebrate another's victory in battle (Rangers Cinco de Mayo jerseys) but not it's own (Houston 1836).

i actually don't know of anyone personally who was AGAINST the houston mls team being called "1836"...

so i guess that's why i'm not feeling the argument... both are acceptable in my eyes, and the eyes of most people. i don't know where the 1836 uproar came from... maybe it's different down in h-town.

I've never really gotten into Cinco de Mayo, but that is because I was already starting to show my age when it started to become prominent, not because I'm of Irish descent.

And by that token, I don't get into St. Patrick's Day. I'm far from p.c., but something rubs me the wrong way about non-Irish people "being Irish for a day" which entails drinking until they puke. When I bring up that belligerent drunken behavior probably isn't the best way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day, they'll just go "so? I like drinking!" Well, okay, yeah, I like fried chicken and watermelon, but that's not how I'm celebrating Martin Luther King Day.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I've never really gotten into Cinco de Mayo, but that is because I was already starting to show my age when it started to become prominent, not because I'm of Irish descent.

And by that token, I don't get into St. Patrick's Day. I'm far from p.c., but something rubs me the wrong way about non-Irish people "being Irish for a day" which entails drinking until they puke. When I bring up that belligerent drunken behavior probably isn't the best way to celebrate St. Patrick's Day, they'll just go "so? I like drinking!" Well, okay, yeah, I like fried chicken and watermelon, but that's not how I'm celebrating Martin Luther King Day.

Careful on the wording on that last point. At least you didn't say Condoleeza. :P

I'm guessing you're suggesting that perpetuating negative stereotypes (drunk and belligerent for us Micks, eating chicken and watermelon for African-Americans) is not the best way to celebrate, but I think your wording could be taken differently.

Well, okay, yeah, I like fried chicken and watermelon, but that's not how I'm celebrating Martin Luther King Day.

You know, just when we were all getting used to referring to you as a scumbag, now we get to add "racist" to the front of that.

Do you even THINK before you type, or does :censored: just flow forth from your fingertips like a fecal wondertwin? Use your :censored: ing head, man.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Well, okay, yeah, I like fried chicken and watermelon, but that's not how I'm celebrating Martin Luther King Day.

Lest we forget, ribs :P

Kidding or not, this is tasteless and ignorant.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Archived