NFL Dolphins To Give Williams Permission

Bleujayone

My only question is this; Does the CFL really need people like Ricky Williams and Onterrio Smith playing in their league? Granted this isn't the first time the CFL have picked up talented players who washed out of the NFL due to bad behavior, but really does it help or hurt a league to bring in players with already established problematic track records? :blink:

-------------------------------------

Report: Dolphins Clear Way For Williams To CFL

TORONTO- The Ricky Williams saga is up and running again, and by all accounts it will have the running back in an Argos uniform as early as Monday next week or not at all.

A source told the Toronto Sun that the Miami Dolphins will finally give the Argos permission to talk to Williams in the next 48 hours. But, "it's ultimately going to work out" for Williams playing for the CFL team, the source speculated.

Sports Illustrated indicated yesterday that the Dolphins may be ready to give their consent to allow Williams to play for the Argos, who hold his CFL rights. Williams has two years to go on his Dolphins deal, but can't play in the National Football League for the 2006 season after violating that league's substance abuse policy a fourth time.

"I wish I knew as much as the Sports Illustrated writer," Argos president Keith Pelley said. "We haven't heard from the Miami Dolphins. As soon as that article came out, the phone started ringing. Nothing has changed for us. Our position is we're not putting any pressure on the Miami Dolphins or anybody. We'll wait this out."

With the Argos starting training camp for veterans on Sunday -- the rookies began a three-day mini-camp yesterday --Williams' agent, Leigh Steinberg, is trying to expedite a resolution with Miami.

The normally quotable agent declined to offer a time line on talks with the Dolphins or a prediction whether Williams will be an Argo.

The Argos placed Williams on their negotiation list 24 days ago when he failed to overturn his suspension. Marijuana use triggered the first three positives, while it's believed something related to herbal usage caused the fourth transgression.

Dolphins coach Nick Saban has refused to definitely say yes or no to allowing Williams, who led the NFL in rushing yardage in 2002, to play in the CFL, fearing he might sustain a career-threatening injury. The Dolphins and their head coach Nick Saban are worried that Williams could get hurt, but according to the report the final sticking point for the Dolphins is a written assurance from the Argonauts that they will release Williams after the 2006 season.

A source said the Dolphins also want absolute certainty that if Williams signs a contract with the Argos, he can return to the team next year without any legal entanglement. The minimum CFL contract is one year plus an option year. While a team can pass on the option year -- which the Argos plan to do -- and place the player on waivers, another team can claim him. However, under the agreement signed by the CFL and NFL in 1997, a CFL player has a window of opportunity to sign with an NFL team. And in this case Williams already is under contract to the Dolphins.

Even if the Dolphins give permission, Argos owners Howard Sokolowski and David Cynamon want to meet Williams in person to ensure he is no longer using drugs and will promote that message to youths.

Williams apparently wants to play in the CFL to earn income and be in a structured football environment. He also has been sold on playing for Argos coach Pinball Clemons.

The CFL does not have rules precluding a player from participating while under suspension in the NFL. The Winnipeg Blue Bombers last week signed running back Onterrio Smith, who currently is under suspension in the NFL. But he is not under contract to play for an NFL team.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Lets see, Ricky does a little... ok ok ok ...alot of pot, Onterrio is more hard core with his drugs, but neither one has killed anyone.

The NFL come down on these guys and questions there character, but lets a guy like Ray (THE MURDERER) Lewis play. :blink: . Now thats :censored:ed.

Everyone should get a second chance, and if the NFL had issues with this, they would stop it. Should be another fun year in the old CFL :D

Lets see, Ricky does a little... ok ok ok ...alot of pot, Onterrio is more hard core with his drugs, but neither one has killed anyone.

The NFL come down on these guys and questions there character, but lets a guy like Ray (THE MURDERER) Lewis play. :blink: . Now thats :censored:ed.

Everyone should get a second chance, and if the NFL had issues with this,Β  they would stop it. Should be another fun year in the old CFL :D

**edited**

it's just not worth it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Everyone should get a second chance, and if the NFL had issues with this, they would stop it. Should be another fun year in the old CFL :D

Ray Lewis was not found guilty so you can't say he's a murderer.

As far as second chances go, Ricky had his last season with the Dolphins, and Onterrio... well he doesn't need an explanation. :)

I don't see anything wrong with the both of them coming to the CFL. They probably need the money, and you know they want to turn around their reputations.

I'm gonna be going to a LOT of Argos games this year!

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

Ricky was smoking his share of pot and tore up the gridiron, piling up a ton of yards. He's flakey, but he'd also still be a primary back if it weren't for having a law against marijuana use. Lawrence Philips behavior was far worse and he was given a shot.

I don't condone drug use, but people need to see the problem for what it is.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Great , Ricky comes to T.O, where he needs to get away from the pot lol ( no offense who people live in Toronto but u know its true) Lets just hope the argos sell out. 40% to see the argos, 60% to see Ricky lol.

4kv29i.jpg

Ricky Williams with Toronto, Onterrio Smith with Winnipeg, and Quincy Carter with Montreal.

Did I miss anyone?

Three decent NFL-caliber players now with the CFL each because of their history with drugs. Granted they are all talented and if they stay clean, can add something to both their teams and to the league. By having talented household names on their rosters it adds a degree of respectablity that most players seek only in the NFL. Still, I cannot help but wonder what this does for the league's reputation that they sign the NFL's castoffs- not because they were not talented enough, but because they couldn't cut it in the behavior department.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

40% to see the argos, 60% to see Ricky lol.

I think it's pretty ridiculous to suggest that there are more Ricky Williams fans in Toronto than there are Argos fans.

There might be more NFL fans than Argos fans, but you can't just automatically assume that all NFL fans will run out their doors to pay money to see a guy who once played in the NFL.

The Argos will probably see an attendance spike, but I don't really know how big it will be. Their attendance has been rising over past years anyhow.

Well, according to TSN.ca, the Dolphins have finally given their blessing for him to persue his football career as the highest paid running back in the CFL at $250,000!!

I for one will probably go to a game just to see what all the fuss is about, but I'm sure I'll be seeing him around town coming out of the Friendly Stranger or THC. :P

I'm sorry, this is in very poor taste but this picture asked for it...

And yes I know hes holding it wrong... but it looks better this way.

Argo.jpg

:D

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Everyone should get a second chance, and if the NFL had issues with this,Β  they would stop it. Should be another fun year in the old CFL :D

Ray Lewis was not found guilty so you can't say he's a murderer.

Actually, he was never actually charged with murder, so he never was aquitted. He pleaed down to a lesser charge if testified against his friends.

Wikipedia

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

Archived