Best logo EVER

Lumbergh

Well, here we are again, debating something as complicated as any other subject. The greatest logo ever made in professional sports history. Many of us have ours, and i'm sure there are deep reasons why we like them. From the start of logos in sports, everything has changed. Please tell your view, and don't hold back. This could be a long discussion that will never be totally conquered.

my thought, Hartford Whalers. Simple, yet extremely effective in how all the shapes form others in negative and positive values. It is the top of my list.

150px-Hartford_Whalers_1992.gif

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmmmmm. very good question on a very broad topic. I'd have to say the Detroit Red Wings logo with the wheel and the wings. It symbolizes everything that Detroit is about with all the cars made there. Red Wings.

For me, anything that shows up on a baseball team's caps doesn't count so I'd have to eliminate the Yankee NY, the Tiger D, and the Reds/Bears/etc C. Any logo comprised almost entirely of letters can't really qualify in my book so there goes most of the rest of MLB including the Dodgers, Braves and Giants. Surely other people will choose some of the above and I don't blame them but they're just not going on my list.

I struggled between about 5 different logos but I finally just trimmed it down to one. I also believe it'll be one a lot of people will pick:

The Detroit Red Wings. A true classic. Considering the Tigers and Red Wings you wonder what happened with the Pistons over the years. Can't win 'em all I guess.

detlogo7mx.gif

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Rams. The horn is perfect for the helmet. Except for color, basically unchanged for decades. You can't top perfection.

I wanted to do a Final Four, one for each major sport, but couldn't come up with a really good one for the other three sports that is still being used. If it's a really good logo, it would still be in use. Ford hasn't given up its oval, CBS its eye or Coca-Cola its script.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

For me the logo has to have stood the test of time, and letters don't count.

Some to consider:

Detriot Red Wings

Chicago Bulls

Chicago Backhawks

Some others I like, but haven't had passed the test of time:

Buffalo Sabres

Houston Texans

Arizona Cardinals- I think this was a great modern update.

And although I said letters don't count, Letters that form something else count. Here's to you, Milwaukee Brewers ball and glove.

brianurlacher.png

Some others I like, but haven't had passed the test of time:

Buffalo Sabres

None of the Buffalo Sabres logos have done them justice! They're not the Buffalo Buffalos, so I really would say the Sabres logos have been some of the worst of all time.

Well maybe there is a name issue, but I like the logo regardless. I think it is very intimidating.

brianurlacher.png

ok, first off, this cannot be decided by anybody, but i know we all will try. i broke my choices into sports.

baseball- i rather like the current pirates logo, and the boston cap 'B'

basketball-i love the new grizzlies logo for some reason, and boston and chicago have some great classics.

football-the texans have a new classic, and the patriots logo used from '61-'92 is amazing(might have something to do with that fact it was my wallpaper in my room when i was a kid)

hockey-i was thinking in the car the other day about how cool the whalers logo was, so that, and the penguins primary from '93-'00

thats the way i see it

I'm ignoring any words in logos. Does the actual image give you a good clue as to what you are looking at.

Baseball - NY Mets. The skyline says New York and the baseball says,well baseball. You dont need the word Mets to say that this is the logo for a New York baseball club. The Brewers "ball and glove" logo is cool and achives the same aim ie being easily recognisable as abaseball glove and therefore a logo for a baseball team there is nothing in the logo to say "brewers" about it though.

NFL - Tie. Oakland Raiders. The helmet says football. And just look at the guy. If he said he was a raider would you argue with him? Nothig to say that te team is from Oakand though. Miami Dolphins aswell. A dolphin with a helmet with a "M" in it. Clearly a football playing dolphin from a city beginning with an M = Miami Dolphins.

NBA - Washington Wizards. Using my own rules this is a choice of one. It is the only logo where you see a image of what the nicknmae is what the sport is and a indication of where the team is from. I think the NBA have some shocking logos.

NHL - Colorado Avalanche. Hardest to decide. A lot of logos show the nickname and something to say it's a hockey club. If you did not's now how would you discover the Rangers play hockey just from their logo for example? The Avs logo has an Avalanche, a puck and a mountain which suggests somewhere like thr rockies and hence Colorado.

Well, here we are again, debating something as complicated as any other subject. The greatest logo ever made in professional sports history. Many of us have ours, and i'm sure there are deep reasons why we like them. From the start of logos in sports, everything has changed. Please tell your view, and don't hold back. This could be a long discussion that will never be totally conquered.

my thought, Hartford Whalers. Simple, yet extremely effective in how all the shapes form others in negative and positive values. It is the top of my list.

150px-Hartford_Whalers_1992.gif

This one is better, I hated it when they added the grey.

Whalers-Large.jpg

girardi-1.png

lyip4wfi.pngzc9hmqq6.png

Thanks KaTo

This is fun.

Top Five:

5) Texas Longhorns: I think it's a terrific logo, but I really dislike Big XII/Texas collegiate sports. That takes nothing away from the Longhorn, however. It really is a great logo.;

4) Boston Red Sox: Iconic like the Yankees' NY logo, but colorful too. The script is classy, the logo represents a region and a following, and we all know it won't change.

3) Detriot Red Wings: I wanted to put the Bruins here, but the Red Wings logo really is as good as people say.

2) New Jersey Devils: A personal favorite of mine. Clean, to the point, representative of the team and state, and classy enough for a more modern image.

1) Chicago Cubs: Iconic, modern even though it has existed for 70 years, and without peer.

Visual Representation:

2653.gif

7165.gif

11.gif

18.gif

54.gif

Honorable Mentions: NHL: (it's surprising how good they are compared to other sports): Canadiens, Maple Leafs, Bruins, Oilers, Flames, old Sabres, Islanders, Flyers and Blues; NFL: Packers, Bears, Lions and Bills; NBA: Knicks, Lakers and that's it., MLB: White Sox, Yankees, Dodgers, and Reds.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

this is probably the toughest thread to make a decision on, but hey, its opinion.

NHL:

Criteria: Best logo that goes on sweater.

Winner: Chicago Blackhawks

-The logo is so detailed and well done, with its 4 feathers of different colors, goes perfect on a NHL sweater. The Crosschucks are pretty awesome too.

Criteria: Best Logo

Winner: New Jersey Devils

-What can I say, I'm a sucker for stacking.

NFL:

Criteria: Best Helmet

Winner:St. Louis Rams.

-No need to explain.

Criteria:Best Logo

Winner:Arizona Cardinals

-It kept the integrity of the Cardinal logo, but made that bird look bad ass. That is one sleek looking mean bird.

NBA:

Winner: Chciago Bulls

-It's mean, and it looks modern despite not changing once in team history.

Criteria: Best Second Logo

Winner: TIE: Cleveland Secondary and Cleveland Secondary

-The logos rock. The secondary with the C being bisected by a musketeer sword and that same Musketeer sword flying a C ridden flag, are the only two logos worthy of such a distinction.

MLB:

Criteria: Best Hat

Winner: Los Angeles Dodgers

-Simplicity+Stacking=Winner

Criteria:Best Sunday Hat

Winner: Milwaukee Brewers

-Ball and glove is the most ingenious logo ever. There I said it.

Winner:I cannot believe I'm saying this...Chief Wahoo

-I'm too ashamed to explain myself.

Enjoy, and remember...Its only opinion.

Archived