Bizarre, special fans

Swiss

Reading this very interesting topic about Carl Cook, a true homeless LA Clippers Season ticket holder, I was thinking about more bizarre fans...

...one was Hilda Chester of the Brooklyn Dodgers. She used to go to the bleachers at Ebbets Field and shake a cowbell.

ss_hildachester.jpg

Can anyone remember more fans of that kind?

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Timberwolves have had a guy since Day 1 that I have called "the coach." He has floor seats, wears a suit and hits a rolled up magazine into his hand all night.

Brewers had a guy called "freeway" but I don't really remember what he did.

Wisconsin Hockey has a guy that has seats by the glass and points signs in the direction of fans and the fans chant it. (i.e. "Go" "Red") Then when the team scores, he holds up a sign for each goal scored. ("1, 2, 3, We want more.")

Morgana the kissing bandit

There was a guy in the 1980s who blew his (and family's) savings to go to games in areas that get lots of camera shots and hold up a "John 3:16" sign.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Green Bay used to have a guy in the 80s who called himself Gang Green, wore an all-green outfit with cape and a dyed-green wig. The Packers finally asked him to stop running up and down the aisles and let him go on the field after he agreed to change his name to "Pack Man" but that only lasted a couple of years. Right now, the current guy in Green Bay is either the Packalope (he wears a Packer helmet with antlers) or St. Vincent (who wears a pope outfit with a picture of Lombardi on the hat).

As for Milwaukee, it's worth remembering that the current "Bernie Brewer" mascot was inspired by a guy named Milt Mason, a 70-year-old former stuntman who moved into a trailer atop the County Stadium scoreboard in 1970 to try to draw fans. It took until September to draw a crowd of 40,000, but they did, and he slid down a rope in front of the board.

The book "Paper Lion" also has some good stories about "superfans".

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

A few special fans that I can remember going to Marlins games...

The Golden Girls were a group of old women that went to Marlins games in the late 90s.

I remember the Ice Girls, teenie boppers obsessed with Matt Mantei.

The sign guy sits on the third base said and walks and a down his aisle with signs.

Pin Man has a vest with over 500 Marlins pins. Always at the games.

There was also this woman that sat in the third base infield box seats and she would lean forward and let her HUGE breats sag when the visiting team was warming up a pitcher. She than started sitting behind home plate last year for a few months. :grin:

1997 | 2003

The Blues have Towel Man and Horn Guy. They both sit in the upper deck, but I'm don't know if they are in the same section. I think they both wear customized jerseys. Towel Man's is TOWEL MAN #123, and Horn Guys I'm sure is HORN GUY, but I'm not sure on the number. I'm thinking he sits in like section 282 or something, so it might be #282...or it might be just #1 or something. I'm really not sure.

Towel Man I think has been around longer than Horn Guy, but I'm not sure.

Anyways, after each Blues goal is announced, Towel Man goes into action. A bell or chime of some sort is played on the speakers an amount of times equal to the number of Blues goals. With each chime, the Towel guy pumps his fist holding a towel as the fans shout the number of the chime/goal. So if it's a third goal, it'll go "One!...Two!...Three!" After the final chime/pump/shout, The Towel Man twists the towel around to some whizzing sound and then throws it somewhere else in the stands. I'm betting the Blues supply him with the towels at this point.

Horn Guy basically just has an air horn, but he gets the fans going throughout the game. He'll do three toots, and the fans follow that with "Let's Go Blues!" Sometimes the toots are long, sometimes short...the fans follow his pattern.

I don't know if it was an imitator or just a depressed Horn Guy, but at times during this year you'd hear a really out of tune horn to fit the Blues play.

Freeway is not just a Brewers fan. He's a staple at Bucks, Marquette, UWM games and will talk Packers and anything Wisconsin with you. Or rather at you.

He's not all there.

He dances, he tries to get people hyped at all the wrong times. He talks trash. Basically what all the special super fans do.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

in seattle we have this fat guy, i forget his name, anways he was just a normal joe until he got hurt at work and collected big. for the last few years, he has gone to EVERY Sonics, Storm, Seahawks and Mariners game. he has become a thread in the fabric that is seattle sports. hes been interviewed many many times. ive actually sat by him at a supes game.

menkiralenko.jpg

Him with Andrei Kiralinko

P.S. sorry about size

Freeway is not just a Brewers fan. He's a staple at Bucks, Marquette, UWM games and will talk Packers and anything Wisconsin with you. Or rather at you.

He's not all there.

He dances, he tries to get people hyped at all the wrong times. He talks trash. Basically what all the special super fans do.

There used to be a clip online of Freeway dancing during the UWM/Loyola semifinal earlier this year. I was there, he's got moves.

You used to hold me

Tell me that I was the best

Anything in this world I want

I could posses

All that made me want

Was all that I can get

In order to survive

Gotta learn to live with regrets

-President Carter

There used to be a guy at Pens games that would bring flags from the different countries the players were from. Anytime one of them did something of note he would wave their counties flag over the balcony. Also from that same section are the "and you know it" guys. It goes something like this... "Hey (insert visiting goalies name!)" "(Insert insult)" Then everbody else in the section yells. "AND YOU KNOW IT!" Sometimes its pretty funny and it's never too vulgar.

The most famous Pittsburgh fan has to be "the vendor" though. I forget his real name. He is really a vendor at Bucs, Pens, and Steelers games. Leads alot of chants and is a great source of sports knowledge.

Growing up in Rochester, NY our hometown AHL team the Rochester Americans had a season ticketholder who weighed about 350 lbs and before every period would yell "Hockey, Hockey, HOCKEY!!!" as the ref was about to drop the puck. It became such a tradition that nhe was joined by hot chicks quite a few times, and once when he was out ill, the referee actually waited expectantly for about 10 seconds until realizing the big guy wasn't in attendance, and another fan finally picked up the slack. Classic.

At Wake Forest basketball games, there is a guy called Naz-T Deac. He graduated in the 90's I believe and has season tickets. Every game, when they play "Jump Around," all eyes are focused on him. He gets up, dances, and runs around. The Deacon goes up and dances with him. He's gone out on the court a few times. I've seen him at football practices too, but he doesn't do any dancing there.

The White Sox have the Neon Man, a guy who walks around in all neon White Sox stuff. Sox man, who is like batman with Sox stuff on, and me. Not to be vain or anything but as a staple at Sox games I have gotten into a screaming argument with Bartolo Colon, pointed at and acknowlaged by numerous players after home runs and been thrown out of a game by an ump. All the ushers know my name, and I own the all of the 120 sections...

in seattle we have this fat guy, i forget his name, anways he was just a normal joe until he got hurt at work and collected big. for the last few years, he has gone to EVERY Sonics, Storm, Seahawks and Mariners game. he has become a thread in the fabric that is seattle sports. hes been interviewed many many times. ive actually sat by him at a supes game.

I see that guy all the time on TV.

Archived