Clippers jersey question

ninersdd

I saw this guy wearing a Clippers jersey that was red, but had the font on their logo, not the cursive style one currently. Did they ever wear this jersey and when?

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Like this?

B000093TYH.01-AT26F6GZJEB06._AA160_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This is a "Rewind" fashion jersey that I believe is supposed to represent their uniforms from the early to mid 80's, but those jerseys were actually blue, and the "Clippers" wordmark was arched.

CLI85R32_W.jpg

nixon_all.jpg

Also, it looks like they used two different number fonts with that style.

IndianapolisSpeedsters.png

IIRC they also had a red version (as in red version of #10's jersey), though I don't know if it was an alternate or road.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

IIRC they also had a red version (as in red version of #10's jersey), though I don't know if it was an alternate or road.

I don't think they did. Just White at home, Blue on the road.

And we all know that #10 was Norm Nixon, right?

:P

um, actually, no :blink: never heard of him, to be honest

heh, I guess that's the final word, though I recall seeing a red version in one of those skinny books you find in the kids' section at the library. Wasn't that Nike one, btw.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Like this?

This is a "Rewind" fashion jersey that I believe is supposed to represent their uniforms from the early to mid 80's, but those jerseys were actually blue, and the "Clippers" wordmark was arched.

CLI85R32_W.jpg

nixon_all.jpg

Are those blue jerseys LA Clippers jerseys? Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm pretty sure that Bill Walton played for the San Diego Clippers, not the LA Clippers.

um, actually, no :blink: never heard of him, to be honest

heh, I guess that's the final word, though I recall seeing a red version in one of those skinny books you find in the kids' section at the library. Wasn't that Nike one, btw.

Norm Nixon? Savior Faire? Magic Johnson's backcourt mate with the Lakers back in the day? Married (still?) to Debbie Allen of Fame?

I must be showing my age...

^_^

I certainly could be wrong about the Red jersey-thing, but I'm pretty sure they didn't.

Like this?

CLI85R32_W.jpg

nixon_all.jpg

Are those blue jerseys LA Clippers jerseys? Correct me if I'm wrong because I'm pretty sure that Bill Walton played for the San Diego Clippers, not the LA Clippers.

The tag says 1984-1985, which was the first year in Los Angeles. That was also Walton's last year with the team.

I hate to repeat whats probably been said a billion times or so....

but the Clip joint needs a MAJOR logo/uni overhaul

like 10 years ago!

I disagree. They're one of the few teams left in the NBA that don't have cookie cutter logos. They waited so damn long that they actually look vintage and unique now.

like 10 years ago!

I disagree. They're one of the few teams left in the NBA that don't have cookie cutter logos. They waited so damn long that they actually look vintage and unique now.

But it's soooo boring and thoughtless. It would make a great wordmark, not a primary logo.

like 10 years ago!

It's basically just a ripoff of the Lakers' logo - in NBA Red and NBA Blue.

I agree - it's a yawner.

Like this?

CLI85R32_W.jpg

nixon_all.jpg

That's exactly it , thanks

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

They're one of the few teams left in the NBA that don't have cookie cutter logos. They waited so damn long that they actually look vintage and unique now.

Are you joking?

lakers.gif

clips.gif

Identify the basic elements of the Lakers' world-famous logo, then see if they show up in the Clippers' logo.

Basketball with motion lines... CHECK. (Bonus points for orienting the ball's channeling in almost the same position on the logo.)

Italicized serifed block font... CHECK.

Team name and city written over ball (better still, the same city)... CHECK.

There aren't any other 2 logos that resemble each other more than these 2. If the definition of "cookie-cutter" is "identical in appearance", then the Clippers have the ultimate cookie cutter logo. Worse still, the Clippers had better insignias when they left San Diego - the nautical flags and ships actually complemented their nickname. Imagine that...

:blink:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Yeah, I agree with you VitaminD...

I think this was a MUCH better look, although it would be pretty dated looking today:

SanDiegoClippers_PL_1979-1983_SOL.gif

Not much to do with basketball, but it was nice at the time.

I just think they're missing the boat with their logo (bad pun definately intended)

All I'm asking is for a suttle reference to a clipper or ship or water or SOMETHING. Its funny that BOTH teams from LA have names that have to do with water or ships and neither logo makes any reference to that.

Being a lifelong Laker fan causing extreme bias....I'm going to say that the Laker logo is fine...but the Clippers need a change. They should go to a red, baby blue and dark blue combo. That would be sweeeeeeet.

All I know is I saw an orange/blue concept on here with the big clipper ship and nautical "steering wheel"(what is that really called?) - that was one of the most beautiful concepts I've ever seen.

I think those blue clippers jersey were in Los Angeles the first couple years as well - I'm fairly sure the white version of them lasted until '87, with the change to the ones that are almost identical to the current in '88.

But at some point I think the roads changed to red with script "los angeles", and I think that may have replaced the blue roads at some point while the homes stayed the same.

update 1 - A little search on google images shows the script Los Angeles on Danny Manning and Norm Nixon in '88-89, so apparently that version was part of the '88 through late 90's set? So that's had at least 2 tweaks, first from script "Los Angeles" to "Clippers" in '90 or so, and then to the solid stripes on the side like the currents in who knows, 2000?

update 2- I found a pic of Cedric Maxwell wearing the blue, which is either from '85-86 or '86-87. So they definitey wore the blue up until '86, and the red "Los Angeles" in '87-88. No definite proof of the blue in '86-87, but I know they wore the matching whites that year, so I assume the blue was still around.

for some reason i like the clippers logo a lot more than the lakers logo. I don't know why but i think the colors go better with each other and that the clippers logo looks cleaner

Archived