Soccer tournaments after the World Cup

DGivens87

As a soccer newbie, I became an even bigger fan of soccer/football after the World Cup. Obviously, the next WC isn't until 2010, but until then, what other major tournaments take place, both internationally and stateside? How often do they occur? I've heard of the European Cup and the CONCACAF Championship -when do they take place? I'm sure I'm missing many other major tournaments - please fill me in!

In the US there's the Hunt Cup, I think it's a tournament for the top teams at each level. It may extend to Canada and Mexico, I'm not sure.

The Hunt Cup is the closer version of the Champions Cup (formerly the UEFA Cup, I think), played between the winners of all the European Leagues.

Both are played every year, as fas as I know.

I'm sure someone can expand further on these.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Euro, which is pretty much the biggest international tournament next to the World Cup, takes place every 4 years. Its spaced out so its 2 years after every tournnament. So the next Euro, which is hosted by AUstria and Switzerland, takes place in 2008.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

In the US there's the Hunt Cup, I think it's a tournament for the top teams at each level. It may extend to Canada and Mexico, I'm not sure.

The Hunt Cup is the closer version of the Champions Cup (formerly the UEFA Cup, I think), played between the winners of all the European Leagues.

Sorry, slap, you're way off on this one. The Lamar Hunt US Open Cup is, basically, the US equivalent to the FA Cup in England. It is also the second oldest soccer tournament, behind said FA Cup.

There is the CONCACAF Champions' Cup, which is an eight-team competition (plus some qualifying rounds for the smaller countries) for the top club team in North/Central Amercian and the Carribean. It's over and done with already--it's generally played February through April. There is talk of a CONCACAF Champions League more similar to its UEFA (UEFA Champions League) or CONMEBOL (Copa Libertadores) counterparts, but it's still talk at this point. CONCACAF seems to be a bit short-sighted when it comes to its confederation championships on both a club and national team level.

There is the MLS going on, and don't short MLS, damnit. The players for the US that actually showed something (Clint Dempsey first and foremost) currently play in MLS. Sure, it's not the top of the food chain as soccer leagues go, but it's generally entertaining (after the World Cup third-place game there was an impressive Houston v Chivas match, if you didn't watch it you missed out), and it's our domestic league, damnit. Plus, it'll help you feed your soccer fix until the Euro leagues start up in August. (And if you don't have a local MLS team, find out who your local pro or semipro team is. Support your local club!)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Hi DGivens...

i'm italian but my english is too bad to clearly explain what you want to know. So i suggest you these address: UEFA Champion's League and UEFA Cup.

Those are two different competitions. The Champion's League is way better than the UEFA Cup because in the first one participate the best team of each nation league.

Euro, which is pretty much the biggest international tournament next to the World Cup, takes place every 4 years. Its spaced out so its 2 years after every tournnament. So the next Euro, which is hosted by AUstria and Switzerland, takes place in 2008.

Speaking of Euro 2008, guess who are in the same qualifying group? Italy and France ..... the play in September.

I saw, I came, I left.

There is the MLS going on, and don't short MLS, damnit. ... Plus, it'll help you feed your soccer fix until the Euro leagues start up in August. (And if you don't have a local MLS team, find out who your local pro or semipro team is. Support your local club!)

Bravo, Mockba, bravo! I agree with you strongly on the support your local club bit. I'm a World Cup fan (since 1994) trying to turn myself into a soccer fan. I don't really have a "local" club. There was a PDL club here for one season, but it moved back to St. Louis. So I'm instead supporting the Kansas City Wizards (3 hours away is relatively local) and my local college side - and alma mater - Missouri State.

Thanks for the education, too, about domestic soccer tournaments.

SpringfieldCardinalsWord.gif

There is the MLS going on, and don't short MLS, damnit.  ... Plus, it'll help you feed your soccer fix until the Euro leagues start up in August.  (And if you don't have a local MLS team, find out who your local pro or semipro team is.  Support your local club!)

Bravo, Mockba, bravo! I agree with you strongly on the support your local club bit. I'm a World Cup fan (since 1994) trying to turn myself into a soccer fan. I don't really have a "local" club. There was a PDL club here for one season, but it moved back to St. Louis. So I'm instead supporting the Kansas City Wizards (3 hours away is relatively local) and my local college side - and alma mater - Missouri State.

Thanks for the education, too, about domestic soccer tournaments.

Absolutely, even prior to this year's World Cup, I've followed my MLS team, the Revolution (and have only missed two home games so far), and watch their away games on TV. I love going to their games.

I also follow the local PDL team - Rhode Island StingRays- located right in my own hometown of East Providence. I've gone to every single one of their home games since I discovered them, and it really is a good time. Attendance there is sparse, but I just love having them in my backyard.

By all means, I echo the statements of Mockba and Kess. There's some good soccer being played stateside, whether its MLS, First division, PDL, college, etc. Once fall comes around, I plan on going to some of my alma mater, RI College's soccer games.

Support your local soccer teams!

The second biggest soccer tournament in the world acctualy doesn't happen in 2008, it will take place in 2007, in Canada. The U-20 World Cup will begin on Canada day next year and run for about a month, with games in Victoria, Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal.

1zqy8ok.gif

Well, if you're a brand-new soccer fan in the U.S., I'd say the best way to jump into following the game would be to check out the English Premier League (www.premierleague.com). Many of the superstars of the World Cup play in that league (Henry, Rooney, the hated Cristiano Ronaldo, etc.), and there's no language barrier to overcome.

If you have digital cable, FOX Soccer Channel carries a ton of games from that league, and a few others.

Also worth checking out is the UEFA Champions' League, which is a tournament that runs throughout the season, featuring the best clubs throughout Europe. The Champions League Final is a European Super Bowl of sorts, and the European season begins in late August, so it's not that far away.

Those two should give you a very good start, and a great website to follow and learn about other competitions would be ESPN Soccernet (www.soccernet.com), which has a lot of info on a ton of leagues.

Hope this helps get you started, there are so many leagues and tournaments that knowing where to start can be kind of intimidating, but starting small definitely helps!

Hi DGivens...

i'm italian but my english is too bad to clearly explain what you want to know. So i suggest you these address: UEFA Champion's League and UEFA Cup.

Those are two different competitions. The Champion's League is way better than the UEFA Cup because in the first one participate the best team of each nation league.

Thank you for the info beatnik. Much appreciated! :D

The Mexican league starts at the end of the month as well. It is the Apertura (opening) season which runs til just before Christmas. The Clausura (closing) season is January to May. Plus Copa America and Gold Cup take place next year as well

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Hey, DJGivens, if you liked the world cup, then I suggest you watch the English Premiership next year, well in 3 weeks. The best players in the world play in England, and its in english. Furthermore, watching the EPL, you will understand just how the Champs League, UEFA Cup, and qualifying for Euro 2008 works. Also you'll see how the FA Cup, the League cup all operate. It is fascinating stuff.

As for tournaments, the next biggest tourney is the Champs League this year, qualifying for teams that finsihed 3rd or 4th in their leagues starts in a bit.

There was talk earlier in this thread about the US Open Cup. What a time it is to follow that tournament. It just witnessed it's biggest upset since professional teams started playing in it. Roma FC an amateur side from Dallas just beat Chivas USA in penalties. That's the second pro team the've beat in a row after beating Romario and Miami FC. They now will play Los Angeles Galaxy in August.

1zqy8ok.gif

Copa America, the oldest international championship for national teams.

It will be played in Venezuela from June 26th to July 15th 2007. People thinks that USA would be invited to play it.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

People thinks that USA would be invited to play it.

If I remember correctly (but I could be wrong), the US Soccer Federation has had a standing invitation to join the Copa for a few years, but has declined it, for a number of issues.

Maybe after this year's World Cup debacle, they'll actually accept the invitation...

People thinks that USA would be invited to play it.

If I remember correctly (but I could be wrong), the US Soccer Federation has had a standing invitation to join the Copa for a few years, but has declined it, for a number of issues.

Maybe after this year's World Cup debacle, they'll actually accept the invitation...

We've had an invitation for a while, but we've declined since 1997 mostly because it conflicts with MLS.

Yeah, I remember watching Copa America in the 90s when the US was in it. I think that was the only reason that ESPN showed it. USA went over the year I watched and got owned, IIRC.

The next international tournament is the Asia Cup, next month.

Then the next european one is Euro 2008 in Austria/Switzerland, though qualifying for this tournament starts in September.

Their will also be a copa america as mentioned, aswell as a African cup of nations in 2 years.

In clubs the major european leagues start next month,

logo.png

Archived