Edwards Plan for NCAA D1A Final Realignent

rock55choc

I wasnt sure whether to post this under concepts or sports in general, but I decided here bc this isnt a logo or uniform concept. I have been tweaking this plan for about a year now - it started just after the huge shift in realignment that took place last season. One rule I held myself to was that if a conference already consisted of 12 teams with a 2-division format, then I would not change the makeup of those conferences. So without further ado ... here's the plan.

ACC

ATLANTIC

Clemson

Wake Forest

Florida State

Boston College

North Carolina State

Maryland

COASTAL

Georgia Tech

Virginia Tech

Miami (FL)

North Carolina

Duke

Virginia

BIG EAST

RED

Louisville

South Florida

Cincinnati

Rutgers

Temple*

Massachusetts*

BLUE

Syracuse

Connecticut

Pittsburgh

West Virginia

Army*

Navy*

BIG XII

NORTH

Nebraska

Colorado

Iowa State

Kansas

Kansas State

Missouri

SOUTH

Texas

Texas A&M

Texas Tech

Baylor

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

CONFERENCE USA

WEST

Tulsa

Houston

Texas El Paso

Tulane

Southern Methodist

Rice

EAST

Southern Mississippi

Marshall

East Carolina

Alabama Birmingham

Memphis

Central Florida

MAC

WEST

Northern Illinois

Toledo

Ball State

Eastern Michigan

Central Michigan

Western Michigan

EAST

Miami (OH)

Akron

Ohio

Bowling Green

Kent State

Buffalo

MWC

MOUNTAIN

Wyoming

New Mexico

Colorado State

Utah

Brigham Young

Air Force

WEST

Nevada*

San Diego State

Boise State*

Texas Christian

Nevada Las Vegas

San Jose State*

PAC 12

NORTH

Washington

Washington State

Oregon

Oregon State

Stanford

California

SOUTH

Arizona

Arizona State

California Los Angeles

Southern California

Fresno State*

Hawaii*

SEC

WEST

Mississippi State

Arkansas

Louisiana State

Alabama

Auburn

Ole Miss

EAST

Georgia

Florida

Tennessee

South Carolina

Vanderbilt

Kentucky

SUN BELT

WEST

North Texas

Louisiana Lafayette

Louisiana Monroe

Utah State*

Idaho*

New Mexico State*

EAST

Florida International

Florida Atlantic

Troy

Arkansas State

Middle Tennessee State

Louisiana Tech*

SUPER 12 (Former Big 10)

WEST

Minnesota

Wisconsin

Iowa

Illinois

Northwestern

Notre Dame*

EAST

Ohio State

Michigan

Nichigan State

Penn State

Indiana

Purdue

* = Team in new conference

I would propose that the cap on D1A be permanently set @ 120. I chose U Mass to be the 120th member because as I recall they won the D1AA title within the past decade, finished last season with a 7-4 record in the A-10 and fits well geographically into the Big East football conference.

Let me know what you think of the plan. C and C would be greatly appreciated. If you can think of a better name for the new Big Ten that is better than mine, I'd love to hear your suggestions. Thanks again for your time guys!

LibertyBowl.png

Having two Nevada teams in the Pac-10 would kinda not make it the Pac-10

Arizona has two teams in the Pac-10 and they are farther from the ocean

I would love this idea. One problem is tradition. Notre Dame does not want to join a conference. They can't play all of their rivals.

-Also I would have 8 conference games. 5 in your division, and 3 in other division that alternate every year.

-Playoffs, champion in every conference makes it plus wild card (2nd place team)

from 6 upper-teir conferences (big 12, super 12, pac 12, sec, acc, big east)

saBS.png

I wasnt sure whether to post this under concepts or sports in general, but I decided here bc this isnt a logo or uniform concept. I have been tweaking this plan for about a year now - it started just after the huge shift in realignment that took place last season. One rule I held myself to was that if a conference already consisted of 12 teams with a 2-division format, then I would not change the makeup of those conferences. So without further ado ... here's the plan.

ACC

ATLANTIC

Clemson

Wake Forest

Florida State

Boston College

North Carolina State

Maryland

COASTAL

Georgia Tech

Virginia Tech

Miami (FL)

North Carolina

Duke

Virginia

BIG EAST

RED

Louisville

South Florida

Cincinnati

Rutgers

Temple*

Massachusetts*

BLUE

Syracuse

Connecticut

Pittsburgh

West Virginia

Army*

Navy*

BIG XII

NORTH

Nebraska

Colorado

Iowa State

Kansas

Kansas State

Missouri

SOUTH

Texas

Texas A&M

Texas Tech

Baylor

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

CONFERENCE USA

WEST

Tulsa

Houston

Texas El Paso

Tulane

Southern Methodist

Rice

EAST

Southern Mississippi

Marshall

East Carolina

Alabama Birmingham

Memphis

Central Florida

MAC

WEST

Northern Illinois

Toledo

Ball State

Eastern Michigan

Central Michigan

Western Michigan

EAST

Miami (OH)

Akron

Ohio

Bowling Green

Kent State

Buffalo

MWC

MOUNTAIN

Wyoming

New Mexico

Colorado State

Utah

Brigham Young

Air Force

WEST

Nevada*

San Diego State

Boise State*

Texas Christian

Nevada Las Vegas

San Jose State*

PAC 12

NORTH

Washington

Washington State

Oregon

Oregon State

Stanford

California

SOUTH

Arizona

Arizona State

California Los Angeles

Southern California

Fresno State*

Hawaii*

SEC

WEST

Mississippi State

Arkansas

Louisiana State

Alabama

Auburn

Ole Miss

EAST

Georgia

Florida

Tennessee

South Carolina

Vanderbilt

Kentucky

SUN BELT

WEST

North Texas

Louisiana Lafayette

Louisiana Monroe

Utah State*

Idaho*

New Mexico State*

EAST

Florida International

Florida Atlantic

Troy

Arkansas State

Middle Tennessee State

Louisiana Tech*

SUPER 12 (Former Big 10)

WEST

Minnesota

Wisconsin

Iowa

Illinois

Northwestern

Notre Dame*

EAST

Ohio State

Michigan

Nichigan State

Penn State

Indiana

Purdue

* = Team in new conference

I would propose that the cap on D1A be permanently set @ 120. I chose U Mass to be the 120th member because as I recall they won the D1AA title within the past decade, finished last season with a 7-4 record in the A-10 and fits well geographically into the Big East football conference.

Let me know what you think of the plan. C and C would be greatly appreciated. If you can think of a better name for the new Big Ten that is better than mine, I'd love to hear your suggestions. Thanks again for your time guys!

Hey rock55choc, I post often at Collegesportsinfo.com with full scale realignemts of D-I. In fact I made a plan here on this board. I'll post it later on.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

I think it could work. But a couple things stick out to me. Notre Dame would probably go in the Big East for the reason jkrdevil said and the Big East would be really weak besides Pitt, WV, and Louisville. Other than that I think it is a great layout.

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

If UMass had ever actually made the move to Division 1-A football that they had so often talked about... if Temple could have shored up their football program... and if three schools could have been convinced to make the jump... well, here's the Big East football conference that I would have liked to have seen:

Boston College

Connecticut

Maryland

Massachusetts

Penn State

Pittsburgh

Rutgers

Syracuse

Temple

Virginia

Virginia Tech

West Virginia

Geographically, a pretty "tight" conference... just the Northeast and upper Mid-Atlantic. A mix of major media markets (Boston, Baltimore-Washington, Pittsburgh, Metro New York-New Jersey, Philadelphia) alongside mid-size and smaller markets. A mix of traditionally strong programs and emerging schools. Some great regional rivalries.

Hell, even the other original basketball schools (Georgetown, Providence, Seton Hall, St. John's and Villanova) would have fit neatly into the geographic footprint once the hoops season tipped-off.

That would be a fun conference.

I Like it I would love to see ND in the Big Ten

Me too. Then we could pound Notre Dame once a year instead of just once in a while.

On topic, I don't like it at all. I think D-1 football is fine the way it is. No need to realign anything.

BB52Big.jpg

Although Notre Dame is in the Big East for other sports I think they have a better fit in the Big 10. Geographically they are in Big 10 country. Plus three of their biggest rivals (Michigan, Mich St, and Purdue) are all in the Big 10. The only reason they are in the Big East is because the Big East wanted any team they could and allowed them to be a football independent.

As for UMass. There might be other A-10 schools theat would be better. On a pure competition standpoint then Deleware would be awesome. For a size/market standpoint then Richmond, Villanova, and Northeastern (the latter would give them back the Boston market they lost when BC left)

Thanks footballfiji !! The reasons you gave for ND being included in the Big Ten (better geographical fit and able to keep more traditional rivalries) were the deciding factors in me deciding to place them there.

As for options other than U Mass as a 120th D1A member and Big East delegate, I had never really considered Delaware, I only knew them for producing Rich Gannon and wearing Michigan knockoff helmets. I did however consider both Richmond and Villanova. I could see the advantages of taking both Richmond and Villanova. The reason I decided to place U Mass in the Big East was to give the market of the state of Massachusetts back to the Big East - after losing BC.

Just to reiterate a question - can anyone think of anything better than SUPER 12 for the new name of the conference if the Big 10 were to ever go to 12 teams. But heck, watch them probably add a 12th team and STAY the Big 10. LOL

Thanks for the input and resonses guys.

LibertyBowl.png

since all the states except iowa board one of the great lakes (MN WIS, MI, IL, IN, OH and Penn)

I would call it the Big Lakes Conference

I believe there is already a conferece called the great lakes conference plus using the term Big is note to the history of the Big Ten conference , but itprobably would stay Big Ten anyway.

Just say NO to gray facemasks.

Move Penn State from Big 10 to Big East

Move BC and VT from ACC to Big East

Move U South Carolina and UGA from SEC to ACC

Move Army from Independent to Big East

Keep Navy and Notre Dame independent

THis IS Geographically Correct!

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

Archived