Best NFL Helmets

stlfan452

Always liked the Ravens current even though they have been panned many times. I would enlarge the logo slightly and move it down a little so it does not take up space on helmet like the chargers bolt does.

The example above of Ravens is how it should look. Not how it actually looks. The logo is smaller and higher up on helmet.

Also loved all the USFL...especially the Gamblers, Bandits, Stallions, Panthers(even though I may have used different colors for the Panthers and slightly enlarged the Bandits logo)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Best helmet alltime in any league (IMO): Boston/New Orleans/Portland Breakers of the USFL.

BreakersHelmet.gif

Funny thing about that helmet. When it came to Portland, in the Breakers' third incarnation, it apparently made quite an impression on their assistant coach, Tom Smythe. After the USFL folded, Smythe eventually found himself coaching the Lakeridge HS Pacers of Lake Oswego, Oregon. Their light-and-dark-blue colors worked well on a helmet whose decal was practically identical to this one.

After winning the state football championship in 1987, Smythe went on to coach Lewis & Clark, a D-III college in Portland. The L&C Pioneers soon were taking the field in their black and orange uniforms ... and that same stripe pattern.

A few years later, Smythe returned to the HS ranks and took the reins of the McNary Celtics (near Salem). Their blue-with-black trim makes the SAME STRIPES look a little better that L&C.

Let's recap. Breakers -- waves, a wavy stripe, I get it. Pacers, well, uh, maybe. Pioneers -- was it for the waves of rushing rivers on the trail? And I don't even know where to go with Celtics.

It just seems weird. Could you imagine Dick Vermeil making the Chiefs or Rams wear wings on their helmets?

Best helmet alltime in any league (IMO): Boston/New Orleans/Portland Breakers of the USFL.

BreakersHelmet.gif

Amen! You should have seen them in action...seeing them live was great. They were a thing of beauty!

My tops:

• 1. Chargers
  • 2. Panthers
  • 3. Texans
  • 4. Falcons
  • 5. Bucs
  • 6. Bengals
  • 7. Broncos
  • 8. Dolphins
  • 9. Patriots
  • 10. everything else

All-time favs:

1. San Diego Chargers (Fouts-era)

2. Boston/New Orleans/Portland Breakers

3. Chargers (current)

4. Hamburg SeaDevils

5. Carolina Panthers

6. Las Vegas Outlaws

7. Houston Texans

8. Jacksonville Bulls

9. Carolina Cobras (without oval)

10. Frankfort Galaxy

I'm not into logos that are simply letters and I really like pictorials so...........

TOP 5

5. Texans (although I hate the name, wasn't it rumored to be the Toros at first?

4. Hamburg Sea Devils... Yep, NFL Europe.

3. Redskins.... some people may have a problem with the "noble savage" in terms of protesting the use of Indoian logos/mascots but I love this one.

2. Oaland Raiders..... Just look good,baby!!!!

and my all-time favorite... SEATTLE SEAHAWKS... the revised version is even better than the original. I recall reading an article about the NFL maybe back in the '80s and a survey was done among NFL players and they overwhelmingly chose the Seahawk helmet as their favorite too.

Least favorite

Packers

Giants

49ers

Lets

Bears

Steelers

My favorite is Seattle. Back in the early 80s not too long after they became an expansion team, my mom used to order me Seahawks stuff from the Sears catalogue. I had the "fake" jerseys, sweatshirt and a winter coat and hat! Living in Cleveland, people were like "WTF is up with this kid?".

Current Seattle is nice, I agree silver would be better. I also like the newer Chargers look. Saints and Browns too.

Here's how I went about choosing my top 5

Best helmet in each division

NFC North - Vikings

NFC South - Buccaneers

NFC East - Redskins

NFC West - Rams (Though yellow horns would be better)

AFC North - Jaguars (used to hate this for years, but now I think they're tight)

AFC South - Colts

AFC East - Dolphins

AFC West - Chargers

That is 8 out of 32 teams or 25%

Top 4 (from above list) out of 32 teams = 12.5%

1. Redskins

2. Colts

3. Rams

4. Chargers

Bonus #5 = Cowboys (Iconic)

Everyone loves a roundel.

Archived