NHL - No Third Jerseys, And The Switch To Reebok..

LoligerBS

Well, unfortunately this means that some temas may be losing their best jersey (Toronto, Atlanta, Ottawa, Habs, Columbus a few more that I'm forgetting). On the other hand some teams will be losing their worst jersey (NYI, Colorado, Edmonton, Nashville).

Of course in a few a few years there's the chance that some teams might lose all of their jerseys.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why would they get rid of them next year?

A few teams are ditching their third jerseys this year. The Canucks, Bruins - thank god those horrid things are gone - and the Oilers are ditching their current thirds for classic duds. No doubt it has to do with Reebok's league wide redesign the following season. The NHL doesn't want to crowd the market with too many jerseys, so thats why the third jersey program will be suspended for a year.

As for Reebok, I hope anyone with an ounce of sense will boycott this company now. It's just not right to force these tucked-in ballet tights on every team club. They've no right to screw with history of teams like the Canadiens and Blackhawks.

DEATH TO REEBOK

This is actually news that to me is not all that terrible; the only thirds I would miss are Ottawa's, Atlanta's and Chicago's (and of course the mooterus :D ).

The word is, Atlanta's "True Blue" jersey (the light blue one), will be the home jersey now, and the navy blue jersey is gonna be scrapped.

The Swifts aren't "spandexy" or "formfitting" like people think they are for some reason. I've worn them, and if anything, they fit better than normal jerseys cause they're not annoyingly baggy.

They may be tight over padding, I'm not sure. I just wore it over my street clothes and it didn't feel any different than a normal jersey. If I had worn it for a long period of time, I probably would've forgot it was a swift.

Hopefully they won't all be the same design though. But that was probably just an Olympics thing. International sports team uniforms are never that creative and sometimes companies only use 1 template. (see: World Cup) It wasn't the first time all the teams had the same uniforms in the Olympics either. I think in 94 it was the same way.

I think Reebok will be alittle more creative and spend more time on the NHL. The Olympics are just making people paranoid.

Edit: Besides, didn't Reebok go back to the drawing board last year anyway? The swifts/old designs are probably dead. The rumors about pants over the jerseys, no vertical striping, all new uniforms for all teams.... Probably all been put to rest by now. I doubt we'll see anything that drastic.

As for Reebok, I hope anyone with an ounce of sense will boycott this company now. It's just not right to force these tucked-in ballet tights on every team club. They've no right to screw with history of teams like the Canadiens and Blackhawks.

Overreaction, maybe? Especially for something you haven't even seen?

"force these tucked-in ballet tights on every team club."

-Reebok cannot force anything on anyone. If anything goes wrong, blame the NHL or the individual club.

"no right to screw with history of teams like the Canadiens and Blackhawks."

-Why not wait to see if that actually happens? The Canadiens jerseys weren't "air-knit" 60 years ago. Did people "boycott" a company when the material changed from sweater-like to poly and then eventually to the current version? Wait and see. If you don't like it, boycott the NHL, not Reebok. Someone signs off on this stuff.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Canadiens jerseys weren't "air-knit" 60 years ago.

Actually, the Montreal Canadiens are the only NHL team that does not wear air knit jerseys. All pro Montreal Canadiens jerseys are made out of double knit polyester like many NHL teams jerseys were in the early 1990's. The Canadiens use double knit because they believe that it looks better on television than air knit or mesh do because it conceals the player equipment so that it cannot be seen through the jersey fabric.

Actually, the Montreal Canadiens are the only NHL team that does not wear air knit jerseys. All pro Montreal Canadiens jerseys are made out of double knit polyester like many NHL teams jerseys were in the early 1990's. The Canadiens use double knit because they believe that it looks better on television than air knit or mesh do because it conceals the player equipment so that it cannot be seen through the jersey fabric.

Well done, Canadiens. Back in the '90s, when Bauer was doing jerseys for the IHL, almost all of the teams wore doubleknit polyester jerseys. A couple (Houston and Fort Wayne come to mind immediately) decided to go the heavyweight mesh route, for whatever reason. The difference in quality between the Bauer doubleknits and CCM's airknit is really astonishing. Those IHL pro jerseys are probably the best-constructed jerseys I own. In fact, upon getting my first NHL pro jersey, my initial reaction was "Is this a replica?"

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Actually, the Montreal Canadiens are the only NHL team that does not wear air knit jerseys.  All pro Montreal Canadiens jerseys are made out of double knit polyester like many NHL teams jerseys were in the early 1990's.  The Canadiens use double knit because they believe that it looks better on television than air knit or mesh do because it conceals the player equipment so that it cannot be seen through the jersey fabric.

Well done, Canadiens. Back in the '90s, when Bauer was doing jerseys for the IHL, almost all of the teams wore doubleknit polyester jerseys. A couple (Houston and Fort Wayne come to mind immediately) decided to go the heavyweight mesh route, for whatever reason. The difference in quality between the Bauer doubleknits and CCM's airknit is really astonishing. Those IHL pro jerseys are probably the best-constructed jerseys I own. In fact, upon getting my first NHL pro jersey, my initial reaction was "Is this a replica?"

Were Nike jerseys double knit when Nike took over Bauer?

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I'd just like to add something here, not sure if anyones made this argument in this thread or if it was other threads.

But about the whole swifts having to be tucked in.

What is wrong with that? Every other major sport, football, baseball, basketball have rules that you have to have your jersey tucked in. Players get fined or in some cases get penalties/technical fouls if their jersey isnt tucked in. Does anyone really like the rules? No, but they still do it.

I dont see why in hockey they cant tuck it in either. I'm assuming the swifts are longer than the regular jersey's, so that their is more to tuck in with it still having a little bag to it.

impossiblefp4.jpg

The World Basketball Championship, the Davis Cup, Ryder Cup, Iraq: Every day there's further proof that we, as a nation, are not very good at international competition.

Hockey is the only sport in which the "pants" aren't normal pants. What I mean is that they do not end at the waist. There is protection to cover the lower back and kidneys. To grasp what it would look like picture an 80 year old man with his pants all the way up at his chest and his shirt tucked in (everyone knows what I'm talking about). Additionally, (maybe not even a factor) it would be even easier to detect to spaces where no protection is on a players back (between the pants and shoulder pads) where numerous cross checks to the back would become more brutal in front of the net.

Hockey is the only sport in which the "pants" aren't normal pants. What I mean is that they do not end at the waist. There is protection to cover the lower back and kidneys. To grasp what it would look like picture an 80 year old man with his pants all the way up at his chest and his shirt tucked in (everyone knows what I'm talking about). Additionally, (maybe not even a factor) it would be even easier to detect to spaces where no protection is on a players back (between the pants and shoulder pads) where numerous cross checks to the back would become more brutal in front of the net.

In addition, tucking in means that you'd lose the stripes on the bottom hem for which hockey sweaters are known.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Were Nike jerseys double knit when Nike took over Bauer?

Well, I have a Nike Ducks alt, and it's airknit/dazzle. But a Bauer San Antonio Dragons sweater I have, possibly from that same year, is doubleknit. So go fig.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Overreaction, maybe? Especially for something you haven't even seen?

No. The NHL does not deserve our respect on this, because Bettman and crew have been one screw-up after another for about 15 years now. This change did not need to be made.

Also, the Canucks used to have jerseys made out of the same material as the Habs but they switched over last season.

1zgyd8w.jpg

Wouldn't tucking in the hockey jersey actually give defenders the ability to maybe hook onto the top of a players pants with a stick or glove which, while not legal, could work at stopping the opponent if you don't get caught.

I have a feeling though that jerseys that use the full length sleeve stripes, like Atlanta's third or Columbus or Minnesota's main sets, will be sort of the norm with the new jerseys.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

The Canadiens jerseys weren't "air-knit" 60 years ago.

Thanks for that tidbit - I didn't think anyone was not using air-knit.

Also, this proves one of my points - nobody "forced" airknit down MTL's throat - they decided that it wasn't for them. Now maybe the league as a whole signed an agreement with RBK to manufacture new uniforms, and sold their soul by not having veto power (very difficult to believe), but if that was the case, then blame the league, not Reebok.

I'll agree that the NHL hasn't done too many things right over the last decade(s?), but to get this fired up without seeing anything is absurd. Anxious? Skeptical? Nervous? Fine. Perfectly understandable. But calling for boycots and some of the other things that have been mentioned in this thread? Insanity.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This is dum the swift jerseys are terrible i have the team canada and i'm afraid to do anything while wearing it cause it feels like it's gonna tear. The normal jerseys are fine we don't need performance enhancment, if players can't perform in normal jerseys then they shouldn't be in the league at all!

untitled-6.jpg

Why would they get rid of them next year?

A few teams are ditching their third jerseys this year. The Canucks, Bruins - thank god those horrid things are gone - and the Oilers are ditching their current thirds for classic duds. No doubt it has to do with Reebok's league wide redesign the following season. The NHL doesn't want to crowd the market with too many jerseys, so thats why the third jersey program will be suspended for a year.

thank god the oilers are going to classic ones

even if their spandex

Well, if this goes down like it seems it's going to, I'd like to thank Reebok in advance for finally figuring out a way to make me stop buying hockey jerseys.  And they said it couldn't be done!

I can't agree with that anymore. besides the fact, that things have changed and I haven't bought any jerseys in a while. but if they go the Reebok style... they can keep them. There is a couple I have in my collection because I like the jersey itself, can't really do that when they all look the same.

Archived