ABA welcomes Minnesota... Ripknees

Brian in Boston

Yes, that's right. The ABA is expanding to Minneapolis-St.Paul and the team will be called the Minnesota Ripknees. Here's what Billy Jurewicz - of the father-and-son ownership team of Jack and Bill Jurewicz - has to say about the identity:

"When I was a kid, my Dad used to kill time on roadtrips by telling us 'ripknee' stories. Ripknee was an imaginary hero, like Underdog, who wore ripped jeans and would use his 'golden knee' to save the world. We all ran around with rips in our jeans as kids, especially the knee, hence the name. Ripknee would use his knee to weld the hole in the Titanic or melt the snow from a blizzard so a town was saved. When we would go see Mt. Rushmore, my Dad said the faces were Jefferson, Lincoln, Washington and Ripknee. It was awesome.

So, in that spirit, we're calling the team the Minnesota Ripknees. the mascot will have ripped jeans, good as can be. Kids can wear ripped kneepads. The team will burst through a ripped canvas before each game. Can you imagine how hot the dance team will be with the ripped knee theme? If the Tarheels can gain a following, so can the Ripknees who will be "ripping it up" this fall! It will be good family fun entertainment for little money."

It's hard to believe that both Jack and Billy claim to have worked in the marketing and advertising industries, respectively. I find myself wondering whether Jack was drunk when concocting these stories or simply a bad story-teller. Either way, it's very easy to see how his penchant for piss-poor story-telling would have had a detrimental impact on his career in marketing... which would explain why his children were forced to wear tattered pants. As for elevating "Ripknee" to the Rushmore pantheon, Teddy Roosevelt must be "spinning in his grave".

As for the "ripped jeans, good as can be", "ripped kneepads" and "how hot the dance team will be with the ripped knee theme"... well, I don't know what the :censored: Billy's talking about.

Just when you think that you've seen and heard it all from the ABA, they manage to top themselves.

:blink:

The new ABA: Where any bat$#!+ crazy person with $20 can own a team.

:wacko:

By this logic- we all ought to pool together our money and organize a couple of teams ourselves (one for each side of the border) We may not win many games, but you can be sure we'll corner the merchandise market. I'd have no doubt we'd have the best names, logos, and uniforms.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

By this logic- we all ought to pool together our money and organize a couple of teams ourselves (one for each side of the border) We may not win many games, but you can be sure we'll corner the merchandise market. I'd have no doubt we'd have the best names, logos, and uniforms.

Only one question:

WHAT merchandise market? :)

The ABA'd have to have at least something of a following for anyone to buy their gear.

nav-logo.png

this guy owns a web-design company here in the twin cities. After reading a couple articles about him, it sounds like a classic case of too much money and a big ego. Naming a team

something that only has meaning to him, what a prick.

Not to worry, campers. This team'll be a one-year wonder, like most ABA franchises. Deep pockets or not, losing a couple hundred grand a year on a basketball team just to satisfy your ego only lasts so long.

nav-logo.png

By this logic- we all ought to pool together our money and organize a couple of teams ourselves (one for each side of the border)  We may not win many games, but you can be sure we'll corner the merchandise market. I'd have no doubt we'd have the best names, logos, and uniforms.

Only one question:

WHAT merchandise market? :)

The ABA'd have to have at least something of a following for anyone to buy their gear.

Hey! I will be attending at least ONE Bellingham Slam game this year (provided, of course, they still exist), and rest assured, I will be buying as much merch as I can.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

The nicknames just keep getting worse and worse. :mad: Come On Ripknees <_<

I thought is said Ripkens too.

Well what's next. The Talladaga Skidmarks.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

When teams start concocting names like "Ripknees" and "Krunk Wolverines," it's time to put a nationwide moratorium on pro sports expansion.

In regards to the Ripknees' owner: Wow, you sound like a total stroke. Have fun losing money.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Really, I'm just surprised (and thankful?) there aren't a million ABA teams named either "Gamecocks" or "Beavers." That we've so far avoid overt innuendo is a plus in my book.

All that, I'd much rather see "Beavers" than "Ripknees." How stupid.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived